keep killing CC3D
« on: July 02, 2016, 10:33:34 pm »
alright guys.. i'm beyond frustrated and hoping some experianced members could help me out.

I just killed my 3rd CC3D on the same Frame, and I can't figure out how or why. and it's all very random.

1st death: I'd flown maybe 10-15 flights w/ it. been through 2-3 hard crashes, and then it stopped working. I assumed it was crash related and ordered a new one.

2nd death: had maybe 5 flights. took the quad inside to tune PID. it connected and allowed me to tune PID with no issue. returned outside, and the quad wouldn't Arm.. took it back inside, checked my arming settings (it connected to PC no problem). Then outside again, with same result; it wouldn't arm. Back inside, this time PC wouldn't recognize the FC. No blue light on the FC only a green power light, but PC/Librepilot would not connect the board, regardless of what trick I tried to rescue/reload the board. So i sent it back as defective and got a new one.

3rd death: just recently re-installed the new FC, loaded it up no problem. did functions check, all worked fine. Took the Quad outside, went through 4 batteries (back to back). Took it inside to let batteries charge. this time I connected a LED controller to the PDB 12v rail, and then a signal wire to the aux output of the FC. still worked. Connected to Librepilot to configure my Aux setting. unhooked from computer and set up my gear on the Tx. wouldn't work. reconnected to PC and now a dead FC.. no green light this time.

I can find nothing 'obvious' behind any of these 3 scenarios. I've looked for shorts in the wiring. I ahve a 12v feed comming from the PDB to the 6th channel of the FC for power, that is getting 11.6v. The FC is mounted on nylon offsets w/ nylon screws holding it to the frame.

any thoughts?

hwh

Re: keep killing CC3D
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2016, 01:24:03 am »
...I ahve a 12v feed comming from the PDB to the 6th channel of the FC for power, that is getting 11.6v....
Running the cd3d off 12v power might work on an original cc3d but on a clone it's unlikely to run for long because of parts substitutions.  Even on an original cc3d it would run the voltage regulators hot.  It's intended to run off 5v from a BEC or PDB, not 12v.

« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 07:27:39 pm »
well thats news.. and good news. I swore I've looked up the input, but if it is designed for 5v then that would certainly explain things. I will swap over to the 5v rail and see how that lasts me. Thanks for the insight!

hwh

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 07:47:47 pm »
Someone else asked for more details yesterday and I took a look at the CC3Ds I have sitting around.  Out of four of them only one had the original regulator chip that can take running on 12v.  And even then it's not a really good idea because the regulator would run hot. The same voltage you feed to the cc3d is sent out to the receiver, main, and flexi ports so anything plugged into them would also have to be able to handle 12v.

All four cc3d clones had different voltage regulators on them.   One of them is only specified to take 5.25 volts on it's input.

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 09:58:53 pm »
hwh.. thanks for the details and interesting findings from the 4 your analyzed. I took a CC3D atom/nano from one of my other quads and moved it to this one and changed my input from the PDB from the 12v rail to the 5v rail, so far flying good (need to retune PID for the smaller FC). and been through 2 packs so far w/ minimal incidents (flew into my ceiling during first flight w/ a bad pid lol). again.. appreciate the input! huge revelation that I would have never thought about.