Lwayne

Motor won't spin up with LibrePilot GCS
« on: March 05, 2016, 04:50:18 am »
Here is my dilemma . I have a Assassin flying  Wing  with the standard electronics setup. 20 amp ESC, Emax CF2812 , CC3D Atom, DX6, Orange 615X set to PPM. With Libra Pilot GCS with the newest firmware . I work thru the wizard set everything up get to the end the FCB will arm, no motor spin up and the left elevon starts moving up at a very slow creep. The GCS will spin up if I use the Config tab/ outputs/ live testing, choose test outputs,  move fixed wing throttle bar, motor spins up.          So I see the Throttle on bank 4 ,the MIN, MID, MAX values are grey and will not let me adjust but bank 3 you can. I go thru wizard  3 more times. Each time reboot PC erase Firmware start from scratch, Still the same. Now I dig up an old Copy of OpenPilot GCS run its wizard go thru the setup the only thing I change is move ESC lead to #3 output on the CC3D like the Wizard shows. and it works, I go to Config tab/Output/Throttle, on bank 3 the values are white and I can adjust them. What am I doing wrong? 

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Motor won't spin up with LibrePilot GCS
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2016, 09:29:22 am »
Hi,

I don't understand why you are talking about bank4.
bank1 refers to outputs 1,2 and 3
bank2 refers to output4

We moved the motor output from output3 to output4, this allow fast refresh for servo while the bank2 stay at 50Hz for output4, motor use.

Current  templates still using output3, at wizard end you should not use template but the output issue can be easily fixed after you imported a template:
Go to Vehicle tab, check if motor use output4 and save.

Lwayne

« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2016, 05:23:06 pm »
Excuse my over-site your right. I was on motor 4 Bank 2.

I changed motor to Channel 3 set the output Channel Configuration Min 1000 motor start was 1126  Max 1900 and it worked fine.
Went back to motor channel 4 set the Channel config to  Min 1000 Motor start 1126 Max 1900 worked fine thanks for the help.
 One other thing I have found. I have installed 6 CC3D"s now on different frames and I always had a problem connecting thru USB with one particular PC. If I added a 5v BEC to the FCB it would connect every time so I checked the Volts out of my USB on the PC/ Laptop it was 4.3 volts so I used a powered USB hub and it will connect every time. Just thought this might help someone out down the road. Thanks again   

ArthurB

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2016, 05:07:38 pm »
Hi Guys,

I am struggeling with my homemade flying wing and newly received Revolution board...and my problem looks a lot like Lwayne's. But I could'nt solve it like he did.

You can see details about my configuration in the attached PDF.

- I enabled PPM (I was used to PPM - pin 8 with CC3D but apparently with Revo it still is the pin 5 - white cable - that's what is said in the connection diagram when I chose Flying Wing - Elevon is the wizard)
- my ESC is a cheap 12A Simonk
- I plugged Servo 1 in output channel 1 - servo 2 in output channel 2 - ESC in output channel 4 - as discribed in the flying wing connection diagram)

The problem is simple : I cannot get the motor to spin via radio link!

I can configure the ESC just fine with the wizard, it sets the min, max, middle, etc. I can get the motor to spin via GCS in the Output tab => real-time testing. But then when I disconnect the Revo and want to fly, only the servos are responding. I even tried to put "always armed" but it hanges nothing.

I also tried to move the ESC from output channel 4 to output channel 3, or to change the throttle input channel from 3 to 4, and I tested all the combinations of thoses changes...won't spin!

I'm hopeless can you help me?

I don't know if it brings any more informations, but when I turn on my RX, then plug the motor battery, the orange led on the revo blinks fast during  seconds, and during those  seconds the servos are not responding. Like if the board has to initialize (don't have that with my quad's CC3D). And After the blue and orange leds blink alternatively and slowly, but the servos are answering the commands (but not the motor ^^' ).

Thank you for your help!

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2016, 05:20:03 pm »
You may need to arm you Revo before use the Motor ?

Led behavior is normal, while the board boot the outputs are set at 0 (firmware not running)

ArthurB

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2016, 05:34:18 pm »
Yes I armed it (my usual configuration for arming is pitch forward).
But it didn't work, so I put the seeting "always armed". And still it didn't work.

hwh

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2016, 05:51:13 pm »
Please post a copy of your uav configuration file. With board connected go to file -> export uav settings.   That will let others look at all your settings.

ArthurB

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2016, 05:56:55 pm »
Here they are :)
Thanks!

hwh

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2016, 07:05:51 pm »
I'm not too familiar with fixed wing so I asked someone who is about it.

Looking at your config on the output tab:  channel 4 output min, max, and center are all 1000?   That's not right, you're telling the FC that it can't output more than 1000.

You need to add min/max, calibrate Esc, and set neutral for that channel.

ArthurB

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2016, 07:11:54 pm »
Actually that's the reason why I tried to swich the ESC to channel 3 : every button related to channel 4 is grey and can't be selected...
I configured the ESC with the wizard (when I'm asked to slide until the motor spins regularly), but I don't know if I can configure it in a different way?

Thank you very much for trying to help me!

hwh

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2016, 07:15:02 pm »
You can't move the slider on the output tab because the max setting is 1000 and you can't move the slider past max.  Just type a number in the max field, say 2000 and then you'll be able to move the slider.

ArthurB

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2016, 07:26:29 pm »
Ok indeed, I put 2000 in the max field and I could move the slider, thank you for that :)
Well, still, the motor wont spin. Here is the new UAV settings in case I'd forgotten something.

I was wondering if the difference between the min value for FixedWingThrottle in tab output (1000) and the min value for Throttle in tab input (900) might be a problem?
I beleive the ESC has to receive a command equal to the minimum to initiate doesn't it?

hwh

« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2016, 04:00:07 am »
I don't see anything wrong but as I said I have limited knowledge of fixed wing.

Hopefully someone with more knowledge of fixed wing like @f5soh will see this and answer you.

-Hank

ArthurB

« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2016, 07:19:00 am »
Ok, many thanks for trying anyway :)

Hopefully someone will see it yes ^^

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: April 04, 2016, 10:41:01 am »
Some values on Input tab looks strange, redo the transmitter wizard.

You choose "Pitch forward" as arming settings, did you arm correctly your board ?
Board not armed = no motor.

Calibrate your Esc using the Output tab:
- Set motor slider to the maximum
- Check the "Test output" checkbox
- Connect battery
- Wait some beeps
- Quickly move the slider to minimum

- Uncheck the "Test output" checkbox