Revo board dead.
« on: February 29, 2016, 01:12:48 pm »
Hi folks,

I've got a couple of genuine Openpilot revo boards, and I have recently taken one that was working fine, and removed the servo connections pins to replace with right angle ones.  After doing the mod, I have checked for shorts and everything is soldered on fine.  However, the board appears to be completely dead.  If I connect a USB lead, nothing happens.  No LEDs, nothing.  If I connect a power supply to a servo connector, nothing happens.

The Revo is pulling around 200mA when connected to a 5v power supply, which seems a little high, but not so much that would suggest a short anywhere.

Anyone got any ideas as to where I should start looking for a failed component?  I'm assuming I've damaged something by overheating...  It would be a shame to bin the board really...

Andy

Mateusz

Re: Revo board dead.
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2016, 04:29:10 pm »
Hi Andy,

Sorry to hear that. I never done that, but maybe some pad does not contact anymore ? maybe you melted off something like crystal since it's nearby ? Otherwise I would go for a new board they are cheap now. Probably you can ask any seller for version without headers such that you dont have to do it next time...

Hope you get it fixed though...

lucas

« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2016, 06:01:42 pm »
Andy, there are a few hardware savvy guys on the forum.  If you could post pictures of the board maybe some of them could help you spot the issue.

take a look at this:  http://www.instructables.com/id/DIY-A-IPhone-Macro-Lens-with-Laser-Pointer-for-1/

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2016, 08:28:44 pm »
If it only draws 200ma, then you don't have +5 shorted to ground.

The other options of things that could be shorted would include (top and bottom of board) anything close to the +5 or ground bus or any of the servo signal lines.