smayes

REVO NANO GPS + MCU Setup
« on: February 24, 2016, 11:40:48 pm »
I have a Revo Nano with an OP V9 GPS and OPLink telemetry and have been trying to get GPS assist modes working for a few days now with no luck. When I connect the GPS to the FC using the GPS only connection on the V9 board I get good data from the GPS (7 + satellites), but when I try to use the GPS+MCU connection I get a red x GPS warning telling me the GPS has timed out. System panel says GPS is "UNKNOWN" and MAG is "Invalid". Yesterday I was able to get good data from the MAG, but now the MAG area of the system panel is black. GPS autoconfig Seems to run constantly switching between baudrates.

I have tried using flexi port and main port, neither makes a difference.

I have performed mag calibrations multiple times in multiple locations away from metal/magnetic objects.

I have tried erasing setting and updating firmware which had no effect.

GPS is powered through the board by the ESC and lights come on.

I really don't know where to go from here. One of the strangest things to me, is that today the board stopped using/recognizing the MAG.

If there are additional setup steps I need to take past default port assignments and speed/protocol settings and calibrations I would love to hear them. I am in serious need of help.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: REVO NANO GPS + MCU Setup
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2016, 12:10:07 am »
If you don't get any Gps data using the GPS+MCU port, no luck for mag because data comes from a special UBX frame.

How is the orange led when Gps is powered ?

smayes

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2016, 12:14:40 am »
Using GPS+MCU port orange LED is blinking and green LED is solid. Even if I disable the GPS I don't get data from the on-board mag.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2016, 12:26:34 am »
port orange LED is blinking
So Mcu runs fine.

Mag appears only in SystemHealth if you use a INS13.

Double check the wiring, if you are using the rignt port, configured in Hardware Page.

smayes

« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2016, 12:33:52 am »
My wiring is as shown in the diagram, using supplied cables with tx/rx swaped as required. I have INS13 enabled and mag still does not appear

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2016, 12:39:12 am »
INS13 need other data like GPS position that don't work in your setup, without GPS EKF13 cannot initialize.
If you can communicate with GPS using GPS+MCU port you can also retrieve the external mag data.

smayes

« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2016, 12:41:28 am »
Understood. I'm not sure how to proceed at this point trying to get my FC to communicate with the GPS

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2016, 12:50:45 am »
Double check if there is a blending pin inside connector.

GPSv9 has a fixed baudrate set to 57600bds.

smayes

« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2016, 12:56:25 am »
I'm assuming this is in the connector on the GPS unit? What will that look like?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2016, 12:58:24 am »
Same as others :)

smayes

« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2016, 01:00:26 am »
Will you enlighten me on how to check for it?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2016, 01:06:50 am »
You take one eye (or two) and look inside the GPS+MCU port if some pin (there is 4 pins) is folded or something wrong inside connector.

smayes

« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2016, 01:08:20 am »
Ah! I didn't understand you meant shorting pin when you said blending. All pins are present and accounted for in correct shape ;).

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2016, 01:14:50 am »
If the GPS is recognized using the GPS port (and same cable) the Nano port works fine.
Looks like there is something wrong in Gps hardware if there is no data coming when you just swap from GPS port to GPS+MCU port.

MCU seems working because orange blinking, i'm sorry but i cannot do more for helping you.

smayes

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2016, 01:20:56 am »
I even get a blinking blue light with GPS+MCU connection, which I assume means the GPS is functioning properly?