PID tuning help please!
« on: April 10, 2016, 11:06:47 pm »
Hey everyone I've been trying to figure out how to use the tuning In open pilot and librepilot for a few months. Being in the Army and in the field so much it's been hard to dedicate time to figure this out the way I'd like. I found a tune that gets me flying but I want to be able to tune on my own when I build my next quad and I'm ready to start racing. I understand what PIDS do but my problem is figuring out where in the basic tab do I put these inputs and what does every section in the basic tab does.I've searched for hours online and watched ton of videos but none fully explain it the way I'm asking. Each one has a box you click that says link roll and pitch and I'd like to know what's the purpose for it and when to use it. Please any help will be greatly appreciated I'm trying to fly in attitude and rattotude than rate down the road.
Thanks everyone.

cato

Re: PID tuning help please!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016, 01:43:59 am »
Hi kilo,

first a warm welcome on our forum. Your first look should be at the wiki: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/

I am not sure about your experience with quad: do you have experience in flying quads or other aerial models? If yes, going into PID tuning may a good idea. If not, I'd suggest to chose a working template from Tools->import template and stick to attitude for a start until you feel comfortable. Otherwise flying it can be a frustrating experience.

If you are already well comfortable with your quad in most flight situations, you may want to dive deep into PID tuning. First step is to learn how a control loop works (P, I and D value), and how the different parameter affect the copter's behavior. This is essential, as manually tuning PIDs is not easy or trivial. Then you should take a good look at the wiki here: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/Advanced+tuning

I am myself are currently in that process with my two quads, and the more I learn about PID tuning the more I see, that doing it actually nearly perfectly needs a lot experience and try-and-error.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS