Jeuke26

Need help with Micro minimosd
« on: February 16, 2016, 09:14:53 am »
Again, hello all hobbyists, experts and wannabes ( like me )

Yesterday is received finally my micro minimosd. BUT when I go online to configure I see so many different explanations, configurations and "needed" download that honestly I called it a night yesterday.

Could someone please step by step say what so download, install and configure with a normal CC3D how do I connect it to what port? All the connections have been soldered yesterday and are awaiting connection. I have the FTDI tool and windows 7 already accepted it and installed the firmware. After that it gets very confusing to me.

Again, thanks a lot.

Philip

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Need help with Micro minimosd
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2016, 09:24:18 am »

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2016, 09:31:00 am »
Hi Philip and welcome :)
As Laurent mentioned you should check out wiki.

It shows how to solder cable with JST SH 1.0 4pin to minimosd.
You can get bunch of those cables from ebay http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-SETS-Mini-Micro-SH-1-0-4-Pin-JST-Connector-with-Wires-Cables-100MM-/251979895512
You connect it on CC3D to main or flexi and set it for telemetry.

To program minimosd you can use Revo (maybe CC3D that I haven’t tried) by ComBridge. Alternatively you can use FTDI USB to UART adapter.
All steps described in LibrePilot wiki are most up to date.

Jeuke26

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2016, 01:56:28 pm »
Well, I've tried many things. But always get first "error entering font mode: No data"

Or get "failed to talk to bootloader" all the time. Google isn't helping.

I'm using a FTDI adapter genuine one with a serial number in the EPROM FTDI software

The green led is blinking fast on the micro minimosd

I made a small video of it.

« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:13:12 pm by Jeuke26 »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2016, 02:38:39 pm »
I can't see the software you are using in background...

You need to talk first with the arduino because is used as a pass through for charset update on Maxim video chip.

Did you put all wires ? the "failed to talk to bootloader" comes from DTR missing most of the time. Gnd, +5v, Rx, Tx, DTR

Double check the Com port used, look into Control Panel -> Device Manager and locate com port used with your UsbSerial

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2016, 02:41:03 pm »
Well, I've tried many things. But always get first "error entering font mode: No data"

I'm using a FTDI adapter genuine one with a serial number in the EPROM FTDI software

If you are using this micro-minimosd http://www.readytoflyquads.com/micro-minimosd then it has Arduino bootloader.
Arduino bootloader works like that. Its the first thing execute from your flash memory, if there is no programming signal for ~1s then it boots the firmware currently on the Atmega382 chip.
If programming signal occurs just after entering bootloader, flashing of the chip proceeds.
Error  "failed to talk to bootloader" means that minimosd has already booted and executes firmware on chip or didn’t' boot at all (possibly faulty hardware or bad wiring).

When board is programmed RESET (DTR) pad must be connected, so the FTDI adapter can restart the micro-minimosd board, and immediately start with flashing after it enters bootloader.
If you dont have reset connected or bad wiring, board will boot and it will miss the stage when it's possible to flash it.

You can program miniosd three ways, two of which use the same route via TX/RX pins
  • Using flight controller as a programmer (ComBridge)
  • Using FTDI adapter as USB to UART bridge

These two routes using TX/RX pins assume that there is functional bootloader on the chip.

Then there is a third possibility which does not require bootloader, it's an ISP port. To program the chip via ISP port you can use Arduino (flashed with ISP programming sketch) or ISP programmer for AVR (like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825).

Minimosd has ISP port labelled on the board. While Micro-minim-osd MAYBE has those ISP pads exposed. I think it should have those pads, they flash those chips somehow.
I found Atmega328 chip pins description and micro-minimosd (you should check with schematics to confirm). So if you want to try programming micro-osd via ISP port, it should be possible to connect to those pads and use Arduino or ISP programmer.

If you can't recognize the chip via ISP port, then very likely it's bad wiring or faulty hardware.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 02:44:53 pm by Mateusz »

Jeuke26

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2016, 03:04:49 pm »

If you are using this micro-minimosd http://www.readytoflyquads.com/micro-minimosd then it has Arduino bootloader.
Arduino bootloader works like that. Its the first thing execute from your flash memory, if there is no programming signal for ~1s then it boots the firmware currently on the Atmega382 chip.
If programming signal occurs just after entering bootloader, flashing of the chip proceeds.
Error  "failed to talk to bootloader" means that minimosd has already booted and executes firmware on chip or didn’t' boot at all (possibly faulty hardware or bad wiring).

When board is programmed RESET (DTR) pad must be connected, so the FTDI adapter can restart the micro-minimosd board, and immediately start with flashing after it enters bootloader.
If you dont have reset connected or bad wiring, board will boot and it will miss the stage when it's possible to flash it.

You can program miniosd three ways, two of which use the same route via TX/RX pins
  • Using flight controller as a programmer (ComBridge)
  • Using FTDI adapter as USB to UART bridge

These two routes using TX/RX pins assume that there is functional bootloader on the chip.

Then there is a third possibility which does not require bootloader, it's an ISP port. To program the chip via ISP port you can use Arduino (flashed with ISP programming sketch) or ISP programmer for AVR (like this https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9825).

Minimosd has ISP port labelled on the board. While Micro-minim-osd MAYBE has those ISP pads exposed. I think it should have those pads, they flash those chips somehow.
I found Atmega328 chip pins description and micro-minimosd (you should check with schematics to confirm). So if you want to try programming micro-osd via ISP port, it should be possible to connect to those pads and use Arduino or ISP programmer.

If you can't recognize the chip via ISP port, then very likely it's bad wiring or faulty hardware.

It is the exact same OSD from exactly that site with there exact mentioned FTDI interface tool bought at the same time.

So to get everything straight here, first control connections ( especially DTR ), if ok, then reset ( no button so short circuit the two solder pads for a second? ).

So far correct? When I connect the video feed as well I get the startup screen with the "awaiting Mavlink heartbeat" OSD. So I gues the hardware is ok...

Edit: just checked all the connections. They are solid and ok. Now I have as stated the FDTi adapter mentioned above on that website but again it fails to talk to anything. Com port is saying everything is installed ok and working properly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 03:28:09 pm by Jeuke26 »

Jeuke26

« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2016, 03:07:06 pm »
I can't see the software you are using in background...

You need to talk first with the arduino because is used as a pass through for charset update on Maxim video chip.

Did you put all wires ? the "failed to talk to bootloader" comes from DTR missing most of the time. Gnd, +5v, Rx, Tx, DTR

Double check the Com port used, look into Control Panel -> Device Manager and locate com port used with your UsbSerial

The software is the featured one config OSD from the Librepilot section.

Mateusz

« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2016, 03:11:46 pm »
It is the exact same OSD from exactly that site with there exact mentioned FTDI interface tool bought at the same time.

So to get everything straight here, first control connections ( especially DTR ), if ok, then reset ( no button so short circuit the two solder pads for a second? ).

So far correct? When I connect the video feed as well I get the startup screen with the "awaiting Mavlink heartbeat" OSD. So I gues the hardware is ok...

Mavlink is the other protocol which default firmware expects to receive. You want to flash other firmware, so the minimosd will understand UAVTalk protocol which CC3D or Revo sends.
Don't short circuit anything if you don't know what will happen. Just check connections.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2016, 03:31:13 pm »

I talk about this one in background, what that ? from driver ?

Maybe close this software, both using the same Com port is a bad idea.

Osd is running so the only issue is talk with him.
Post good pictures from the FTDI / OSD link.

Jeuke26

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2016, 03:47:16 pm »

I talk about this one in background, what that ? from driver ?

Maybe close this software, both using the same Com port is a bad idea.

Osd is running so the only issue is talk with him.
Post good pictures from the FTDI / OSD link.

Oh that, that is the Driver from FDTI itself to read the specs of the board itself. It was only open the moment I made the video. Just tried with only the config OSD opened. Still the same errors.

Indeed I can't seem to talk to the OSD

Did I understand correct that I could use the cc3d itself to program the OSD?
« Last Edit: February 16, 2016, 04:00:59 pm by Jeuke26 »

Jeuke26

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2016, 04:04:47 pm »
Here are the pictures:

Clear enough?

« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2016, 04:12:41 pm »
I've had to reflash bootloader on a few of these, what a PITA, wound up making a connector out of some small stiff wire and hotglue to be able to make contacts on the pins...

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 04:33:17 pm »
Try removing all wires, just the FTDI + OSD.

OSD is self powered by FTDI, remove also Gnd/+5V wires

And last step, flash bootloader :)

Jeuke26

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2016, 05:09:09 pm »
Try removing all wires, just the FTDI + OSD.

OSD is self powered by FTDI, remove also Gnd/+5V wires

And last step, flash bootloader :)

Actually non of the wires are connected, just attached to continue afterwards. The only thing connected is the video in and out cables. Does that really make a difference? And how do I flash the bootloader? I'm an RC enthusiast not an computer engineer  ;)