Goggles...
« on: February 12, 2016, 08:27:04 pm »
So there are 100's of posts on Google about what the "best" goggles are for FPV, I'd welcome your input too, but what I was really wondering is are there any considerations I should take into account when using the LP and a Revo?
F450 Clone
EMax 2313 with generic 10x4.5 carbon fiber prop
DYS XM20A BLHeli mini 20A ESC
Revo with OPLink mini
3S 3300 nano-tech
Taranis XD9 Plus TX with X4R-SB RX

Re: Goggles...
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2016, 01:19:22 am »
I like the quanum v2 goggles from hobbyking.  I know people with fatshark  goggles that liked the quanum better and bought them too.

And they're cheap

mazevx

• Still Learning ...everday
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2016, 12:49:47 am »
I have a quanum V2 and im very happy with it,but i like the fatshark Dom V2 to. The quanum fits perfect with 148* eachine cams, very natural Perspektive.

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2016, 07:39:46 am »
I have FatSharks Dom V2, and I really love them. You have the following options now

• $517 - FatSharks Dom HD V2 - 800 X 600 (SVGA) / Exchangeable receiver module (not included in price) / DVR recording on SDcard / FOV 50 degrees / 153g excluding battery
  • $345 - FatSharks Dom v3 - 800 x 480 (WVGA) / Exchangeable receiver module (not included in price) / DVR recording on SDcard / FOV 30 degrees / 152g excluding battery
  • $369.99  - SkyZone Diversity 854X480(WVGA) / Two antennas / Two built-in 5.8G receivers (no option to change) / Built-in camera for surrendering view / FOV 30 degrees  / 190g excluding battery
  • $250 - Headplay - 1280x800 (SVGA) / Built-in receiver 5.8G (no option to change) / FOV 70 degrees / 400g excluding battery
  • $56 - Quantum v2  - 800 x 480 (WVGA) / External receiver (not included in price) / FOV ? / 376g excluding battery

My opinion is:

So considering you just want working goggles, and you don't mind not having flexibility of potentially switching radio range and dont mind huge (I say really HUGE) and relatively heavy robo-cop hat on your forehead than Headplay is best option ;)
FatSharks are light and small, so easy to carry around or take into backpack on a bike with all flying gear. Also great feature of Dominators is DVR, which allows you to play back your flight in case you lost your model. Combined with GPS coords on the OSD is just super safety feature. Battery might get disconnected in crash, but having recording really helps.
SkyZone has this feature of having two independent receivers, from which one can use patch antenna(covers some field in one direction you look) and another spiral one (coverage around you). It might be useful for extra range in one direction where patch antenna is pointing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2016, 07:52:38 am by Mateusz »

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2016, 06:30:22 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I was looking at the Dom v3 and the Attitude V3 I do like the DVR capability, but the Quantum at that price is worth a look too.

What I was wondering was does the FC have any bearing on the setup, I guess no, the googles are just the goggles, and the real question should be about the camera and TX for the video, I just found minoposd on the wiki, I'll go read that  :)
F450 Clone
Revo with OPLink mini
3S 3300 nano-tech

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2016, 07:16:14 pm »
Thanks for the responses, I was looking at the Dom v3 and the Attitude V3 I do like the DVR capability, but the Quantum at that price is worth a look too.

What I was wondering was does the FC have any bearing on the setup, I guess no, the googles are just the goggles, and the real question should be about the camera and TX for the video, I just found minoposd on the wiki, I'll go read that  :)

Camera should be CCD for a couple of reasons. CMOS cameras often are cheaper, but have narrower dynamic range (hard to see in scenes with huge lighting contrast) and lower sensitivity (hard to see in low light conditions). Furthermore, most CMOS on the market use rolling shutter, which allows gathering a bit more photos, but also causes jello effect, edges get blured in situations when camera vibrates. For these reasons you should aim for CCD camera.

Camera should be also relatively low latency. The bottle neck is NTSC system 30fps which is roughly 33ms. So if your camera is much slower than lets say 50ms, I wouldn't recommend it.
The faster you want to fly the closer to 33ms you want to be. I guess it's a reason why FPV market still uses analog cameras. I would avoid Sony Effio-V chipsets. I use this cam, but I don't know if it's best one http://shop.runcam.com/runcam-pz0420m/

Finally, if you want OSD, I know one camera which does not sync with minimosd. So it's good to check if people used that cam with some existing osd system before buying.

Using proper antenna usually helps more than using stronger transmitter, as the range does not increase with the power of transmitter linearly. So you should be fine with 200mW vtx but it's good to have pair of polarized circular antennas (mushroom shape). Some people use patch antennas for more directional range, but I never tried, so can't tell how better that is.

Make sure you have at least buzzer installed before flying FPV. So many people lose vision and models ;)

mazevx

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2016, 10:14:32 pm »
The most recommend camera I know at the moment is called runcam Hs1177, foxeer got a cam which seems to be the same but different name,  runcam owl maybe is best cam available for low light conditions.

MazeVX

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2016, 12:53:18 am »
thanks guys apreciate it
F450 Clone
Revo with OPLink mini
3S 3300 nano-tech

Sid

« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2016, 03:08:12 am »
Same here. Ever since I've been using my Quantum v2 I haven't touched my almost brand new Dominator v2.
Inexpensive and lots of futures.

Mateusz

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2016, 10:50:38 am »
Same here. Ever since I've been using my Quantum v2 I haven't touched my almost brand new Dominator v2.
Inexpensive and lots of futures.

Which features of Quantum v2 ? Maybe I could buy it as a present, as it seems as a good starter kit for the price, but I can't see how it could replace Dom v2.
The price of $56 I mentioned earlier is not a full kit and it does not include receiver, antenna and battery.
The full kit costs around ~$145 http://www.radioc.co.uk/Quanum-V2-FPV-Goggles-Camera-Transmitter-Rece-p/6051.htm depending on the receiver/antenna. It's still way cheaper than Dom v2, but in my opinion not even close with features, strainless view comfort, adjustable pupils, exchangeable lenses, modules for different receivers and head-tracker, DVR recording/playback/osd, low weight and small size. Quantums v2 I checked on HK that come without receiver are already at least twice as heavy as Dom v2. That's weight without battery and receiver...

Any pros of Quantum v2 that you like them more over Dom v2 ? Why ? :)

Sid

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2016, 04:51:24 pm »
What I meant was the basic kit by that way you could run your own RX and all the goodies. Mine is not that heavy since I
use my Ground station for battery source and data recording. my eyes are nearsited and I was having heck of the hard
time on Dominator eye correction.

mazevx

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2016, 09:10:02 pm »
The bigger fov is the biggest improvement over the most other Googles. Mostly its a personal choice.
Headtracker and all this stuff can be attached as well...even a second camera can be used for whatever and we will see what the upcoming V2 pro will bring. Just ordered the Upgrade pro glove :-)

MazeVX

Mateusz

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2016, 09:47:37 pm »
What I meant was the basic kit by that way you could run your own RX and all the goodies. Mine is not that heavy since I
use my Ground station for battery source and data recording. my eyes are nearsited and I was having heck of the hard
time on Dominator eye correction.

About eye correction, true. I also wear contact lenses for flying so I never used correction lenses in Dom.
The video on many FPV goggles isn't as great as you think it should be for the money, so I asked my friend to let me try his Dom before I bought mine. Something to consider is also size, I usually want to fit all gear in a small bike backpack (don't have a car) so that appeared important for me.

As an advice in the thread. I really recommend meeting someone with a goggles, and trying them yourself before spending money. At least to have a feeling/comparison if it's worth the money you want to spend.

« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2016, 12:08:03 am »
Yup that's excellent advice, I'l have to see if I can find some people around here (Orange County, California) that I can meet up with, or maybe a local model shop, but we don't have any good ones around here, well good for multirotor and FPV
F450 Clone
Revo with OPLink mini
3S 3300 nano-tech

mazevx

« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2016, 07:22:51 pm »
Hello,
my V2 pro glove for the quanum V2 googles arrived and its just been tested.
I have to say its a big improvement over the original one, all headstraps can be fitted now so its easy to find the best size for your head, even the battery compartment in the back is great and helps balancing the weight, no more need to look down all the time ;-)
Only need an idea to lock the battery better, maybe put some velcro in or something like that, I´m very happy with it and took a quick pic to show its real.