Zooms Up with FF in Altitude Vario thrust mode
« on: February 07, 2016, 08:17:28 pm »
Noob here. Brand new to multi rotors. I've built a 450mm quad copter with a Revo. It hovers well and I'm learning to maneuver a little at a time. I've recently set Altitude Vario as the thrust mode in my 2nd flight mode position, along with Attitude Mode for Pitch and Roll. Vario works great when I select the mode and do gentle maneuvers. When I tried a Full Pitch (80 degrees setting) Forward the copter ZOOMED upward. I released the pitch stick and it seemed as if it was still climbing. I went back to my flight mode with manual thrust and (luckily) got back in control to land. What am I missing here?
Q450
Revolution

Re: Zooms Up with FF in Altitude Vario thrust mode
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2016, 12:25:42 am »
Two things for you to know here:
IIRC Altitude Vario uses CruiseControl as a helper and that means that any bank angle change automatically give more thrust before it even looses altitude.  Anything more than a gentle bank and you get basically full thrust.

It sounds like you leveled it back out, but the motors still stayed at full thrust.  That means you need to protect your baro from prop blast a lot better than it currently is.  A baro needs foam over it at least.  Sometimes that isn't even enough and you need a dome.  Sometimes a dome needs a vent or two in good places on top of that.

Re: Zooms Up with FF in Altitude Vario thrust mode
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2016, 12:46:24 pm »
Thank You for the reply.

My revo is in a hard case and it came with open cell foam over the baro.

The baro seems stable (+ or - .5 meters or less) on the GCS display so I don't think that is the problem.

Now I notice that when I hover in Altitude Vario mode it surges as explained in other posts. When I first used that mode it seemed to work really well. I don't know what has changed.
Q450
Revolution