ArnhemAnt

What's in a name?
« on: July 28, 2015, 12:07:35 pm »
Hi guys,
Hope this doesn't come across as a really stupid question, or should I say, hope this doesn't come across as a question that shows my stupidity......

You have me interested in the name "LibrePilot". Can you shed some light on where the name came from and whether it means anything in particular?

Thanks in advance.

Ant
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
Re: What's in a name?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 02:09:34 pm »
Libre/ˈliːbrə/ is a loan word in English, borrowed from French and Spanish, used to describe something as being "free", in the sense of "having freedom" or "liberty". It is used in English is to distinguish the two meanings of free: free as in freedom (libre) from free as in free of charge (gratis). Another sample is common: Free as "Free Speech", not as "Free Drink"!

I think we mainly picked the name because it is easy to remember and sounds good :) We had many names on the list, but this was the one which got most votes.

There is also an analogy with our recent situation in the OpenPilot project and OpenOffice/LibreOffice.
When the OpenOffice (Open Source Office Application Suite) project was forked and LibreOffice was born in 2010 after Oracle bought Sun Microsystems the OpenOffice developers were concerned about the future openness of the project under Oracles ownership and broke loose to form a new project.

/Fredrik

lanzi

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 03:25:29 pm »
Libre is French and translates "free" which is quite fitting for an open source project.

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:33:10 pm »
In a similar vain - and please bear in mind I don't want to offend anyone  - how did the logo come about? Or more specifically the colours? The only reason I mention it is because from a colour-blindness/accessibility point-of-view, they're some damn funky colours! Lol.

Maybe I'm hyper-sensitive because I've done a little bit of web design and such but they're not particularly easy to distinguish. Again, I don't wish to offend, only criticise constructively to maybe make things better. :)

ArnhemAnt

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2015, 11:44:15 pm »
Fredrik,
Thanks for the explanation. I thought it may have been something like that.

LibrePilot - the freedom to fly

I like it.
If you do what you need, you’re surviving. If you do what you want, you’re living.

« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2015, 10:17:34 am »
Consider that we started and put together everything from scratch in less than a week.
Obviously any help in that regards is more than welcomed :)

Another reason for chosing the LibrePilot name is that is not strictly related to something that fly, the plan are also to go forward in other sectors like ground vehicle and other robotic applications.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2015, 02:05:14 pm »
"the plan are also to go forward in other sectors like ground vehicle and other robotic applications."

That's very exciting imo, I've frequently imagine a Revo controlling different stuff!

If there's anything I can do to help regarding the colours or web design stuff, please don't hesitate to PM me. I've always been keen to help (looked at the source for a while) but didn't feel I had anything to add. If there is please feel free to ask. :)