akcom

Opportunities for Collaboration?
« on: July 09, 2015, 03:39:57 pm »
Hello,
It seems with the recent fractioning of the OpenPilot platform (Tau Labs, OPNG, Libre Pilot, and OP), there are two or three projects with very similar goals/ideas.  Do you plan on bringing Tau Labs and Libre Pilot together?  If not, how do you plan on dealing with the duplication of effort that arises when so many projects are aiming for the same goal?

m_thread

• GCS is my home
    • LibrePilot
Re: Opportunities for Collaboration?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 10:54:19 am »
Hi

One of the cornerstones when we founded this new project was that we wanted it to be open to collaborate with other projects.
Historically OpenPilot didn't do this, and to be honest we spent a lot of time just trying to prohibit others to see what we worked on. There are people still in OpenPilot that sees other projects that borrows code from the project as thieves, even if the original authors are attributed correctly. But how can you steal published open source code?

So to answer your question. We will collaborate with other projects from now on. TauLabs is a natural partner since we share the same history and many things are still very similar or the exact same. OpenPilot is just as natural and we will collaborate with them as well if we can find a way to make that work. There might be other projects out there also, the future will tell I guess.

/Fredrik

cato

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2015, 12:40:28 pm »
Hi Fredric,

I really like your statement. I would even change the view: if people and manufacturers around the world keep copying and modifying the CC3D it means the CC3D is a huge success story. It is obviously what people need. Dropping it is foolish. That OP does not get the refunds is unfair, but actually that is what you agree to when you make your creations open source. So what I would suggest is, support CC3D as obviously everyone loves it (it's shipped with quite a number of kits), and make the Revo a similar success story :)

Well, to put it short, I definitely support your open and democratic approach!
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2015, 07:35:53 pm »
Open is definitely the way forward in my opinion. Got enough proprietary companies operating in this business already! :)