Ghost

Stabilisation
« on: February 04, 2016, 06:07:28 pm »
Hey Guys,

i just recently built my quad. Its flying and i already took some flights. But now its time to fit the behavior of my quad to my needs. For this i need to understand how the settings will behave on my quad.

I think i understood most of the basic settings except Acro+. But i still have some questions. I am searching on the web for some days but i couldn´t get some clear information and the Libre Pilot wiki is not that detailed in this points. Open Pilot is down too  :-\

-If "Use Basic Settings" is checked. Does any Setting in the advanced tab have effect on the behaviour of my quad? Even though the other way around?
-When do settings in the Expert Tab have effect on my quad?
-Altitude Hold should have no influence since i have no GPS or other sensors for that. Thats correct? Even though it´s greyed out.
-What does Pirroute Compensation do in Advanced Mode?
-What will the Acro+ settings effect in Basic Tab?
-What does "Link Roll and Pitch" do if checked?

I would be happy if i could get some clear answers.

Regards

Re: Stabilisation
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2016, 08:25:15 pm »
Open pilot is gone... For good. they are currently working on building the LP wiki. If you use basic settings and click save, then basic setting are saved till you tell it to save again.  If you go to advanced and check the box and click save then advanced settings are saved until you save again. If you disconnect and reconnect it will show the basic box checked again, have no worry your advanced setting are still saved... Until you click save again.  If it's grayed out then you most likely don't have that hardware on whatever board your using so right. No effect. The expert tab has some things on it for if you use Rattitude mode with, cruise control, some weak leveling mode tuning yada yada. I've never used it except once I tried rattitude mode and set that up but didn't like it. Pirouette comp adds some yaw mix to your roll or roll mix to your yaw in rate mode. I forget which one but some people like it some don't. It's a feel it out flying kind of thing. I personally turn it off. Acro+ slider is for acro+ flight mode. It will act like rate(no auto level)around middle stick. At full stick deflection it forgos your sensors and PID loop and uses that number to tell your motors how fast it flips or rotates. So the stock # of 47 is about 470 degrees a second of rotation(360/second is one flip per second). If your not using acro+ mode it does nothing.acro+ is usually set up for people new to flying in non auto level modes to use low docile easy to control rates, but still have fast flips (just fly rate mode and use expo) Link roll and pitch are almost never used (I don't) because all quads will have different pitch and roll PID numbers.

Are you wanting a racer that cruises most of the time but want to do a little acro, or a crazy acro flipping machine hitting tight gaps who really never races. Or a flying camera, that's needs smooth turns and pans for steady shots.

It's all in the tuning of the PIDs

Inner loop is non auto level like rate mode and the outer loop is for modes like attitude(auto level) rattitude uses both
Acro plus uses just the inner loop I think.
Cruise control is usually used with rattitude and will lower the throttle while your upside down during a flip so your copter isn't "climbing towards the ground". pilots that fly in rate mode lower the throttle during a flip anyway, it's something you learn and always do anyway. and with the expert tab you can tell it what amount of stick to transtition to flip mode and when to cut the motors and all that stuff. I usually stick to attitude and rate mode.  Learn to fly well in RATE mode and you will never need any other "flight mode"
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 08:47:57 pm by NicholasDavid »
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 05:48:52 pm »
Some opinions.  :)

You should stay with ATtitude mode (the default mode) until you get good enough to fly figure 8's without getting confused.  I would guess a couple months to a year depending on how often you fly.  That said, there are some things that you can change to make it fly differently / better.  You can change the max bank angle and rotation speed.

Rattitude flight mode is self leveling like Attitude mode, but if you give it full stick, it will flip where ATtitude mode will not flip.  Release the stick in Rattitude and it levels out.

Cruise Control (a thrust mode) only changes thrust.  It turns it way down if you are upside down (good for flips) and it adds thrust when you bank so you don't have to add thrust.  You must add thrust in a turn because there is less downward air and thus less lift.

Rate does not self level.  The bank angle stays where you left it.  If you get confused and sideways and release the sticks it will stay sideways and fly off and hit something.

Acro+ acts like Rate mode, except that it acts like it as expo and the sticks are gentle in the center but wildly fast at full stick.  Acro+ and Rate are the modes that most experts fly.  Changing Acro+ settings when you are not using Aco+ is like changing the spark plugs in a car that you never drive.  :)

Use Basic Settings (or Advanced) both adjust the same settings.  The advanced page just shows more stuff that the beginner is less likely to be interested in.

You didn't mention your board type.  CC3D doesn't have ALtitude hold (baro) or GPS flight modes.   Pirouette comp doesn't make much difference to most fliers and can actually cause problems if you have an unbalanced quad (which is normally handled quite acceptably).

-What does "Link Roll and Pitch" do if checked?
Try it.  You only have to adjust R or P and the other gets changed too.

Ghost

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 09:26:24 pm »
Thanks for the fast response. This helped me a lot.

Attitude mode feels fine, already mastered this one with my Hubsan X4. Just needed to adapt the Responsiveness to that point where it feels right.

Regards