Jeuke26

What the heck is the OPlink business?
« on: January 26, 2016, 04:51:22 pm »
Ok, let's start.

I have a cc3d evo and building my first quad. By chance I stumbled across this OPlink business but it's very unclear to me.

This is what I think it is, a second connection between TX and CC3d with first connection being the TX RX. So far correct?

What I don't understand, how do you connect it to a Spektrum TX and how to a laptop.

The reason I ask all this is I'm hoping to use the laptop connection to remotely tune the PID in realtime. So that I don't need to connect/disconnect the usb cable all the time and keep it in the air to speed up tuning.

Is that possible?

Thanks ALOT for clarification.

Philip

Mateusz

Re: What the heck is the OPlink business?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2016, 05:10:33 pm »
Hi Philip,

I don't think you can easily connect OPLink modem to Spectrum TX. But in principle, OPlink module on flight controller communicates both ways with OPlink modem that you plug into USB port of your laptop. That way you can do almost all (if not all) configuration changes without cable or control your vehicle.
So yes, its possible to tune PIDs and is important for good magnetometer calibration. You can also monitor your vehicle more easily. For me it just replaces the cable between laptop and flight controller. I can't imagine calibrating magnetometer properly without it though (must be done outdoors far from metalic items) :)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 05:13:37 pm by Mateusz »

Jeuke26

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2016, 06:01:04 pm »
Thanks a lot!

I didn't know the cc3d had a magnetometer. I have the CC3D Evo ( old ) version not the revolution.

Another question, is it possible to tune the PID trough Librepilot and OPlink while the quad is flying? As I don't have a knob on the Spektrum tx to do it. If yes, I'll order it right away.

I suppose I need two transceivers? Or is there a "laptop" component OPlink and a cc3d OPlink version.

Do I need to order TWO of these?

http://m.banggood.com/OpenPilot-OPLINK-MINI-CC3D-REVO-Universal-Transceiver-TX-RX-Module-Integrating-Remote-Controller-p-1000081.html

Or do I need to order ONE of this:

http://m.banggood.com/Openpilot-OPLINK-Mini-Radio-Telemetry-AIR-And-Ground-For-MINI-CC3D-Revolution-p-1018904.html

Philip
« Last Edit: January 26, 2016, 06:06:22 pm by Jeuke26 »

Mateusz

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2016, 06:44:24 pm »
Thanks a lot!

I didn't know the cc3d had a magnetometer. I have the CC3D Evo ( old ) version not the revolution.

Another question, is it possible to tune the PID trough Librepilot and OPlink while the quad is flying? As I don't have a knob on the Spektrum tx to do it. If yes, I'll order it right away.

I suppose I need two transceivers? Or is there a "laptop" component OPlink and a cc3d OPlink version.

Do I need to order TWO of these?

http://m.banggood.com/OpenPilot-OPLINK-MINI-CC3D-REVO-Universal-Transceiver-TX-RX-Module-Integrating-Remote-Controller-p-1000081.html

Or do I need to order ONE of this:

http://m.banggood.com/Openpilot-OPLINK-Mini-Radio-Telemetry-AIR-And-Ground-For-MINI-CC3D-Revolution-p-1018904.html

Philip

To my knowledge CC3D does not have magnetometer nor built-in oplink module (like revo).
So yes, you will need two oplinks: one to connect to laptop, and one to connect to flight-controller. I think it's described here http://opwiki.readthedocs.org/en/latest/user_manual/oplink/cc.html
Though I never tried with CC3D, I know it works on Revo and Wiki says should be possible with CC3D as well, check the link.
I only used oplink modem as in the first link. Remember not to power it without antenna, or you may burn transmitter.

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016, 07:10:38 pm »
By the way, CC3D is awesome flight-controller. If you use EasyTune https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/TxPID then you don't need your laptop. Just enabled it before going out. I use CC3D on my 450mm build, it's just super smooth flying experience, really stable and locked in.
However if you really want oplink and laptop connection, then built-in oplink module would be nice, less cables and less messy build. In that case I would opt for buying Revo clone. As a bonus you get extra memory/horse-power for extra features, sensors and oplink module on the bottom of the board (you would just need one modem).

Jeuke26

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2016, 07:22:31 pm »
Getting confused now, the build is a 250 fpv racer.

I have the "old" cc3D working perfect except the pain of content landing connecting the usb cable and altering PID flying and repeat.

So I thought the first link is when you have the Revo with build in OPlink and the second link is 2 separate TX RX OPlink to connect to laptop and "old" cc3d.

So far correct? I already have 3 cc3d ( don't ask ) but only one quad. So I'm not going to buy yet another ( while better ) cc3d.

So to confirm the second link I posted is the correct setup I would order that one.

Regarding this easytune concept, does it require a knob on the TX? ( which I don't have, new Spektrum DX6 )

Thanks guys for the swift answers.

Philip

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2016, 07:54:24 pm »
Getting confused now, the build is a 250 fpv racer.

I have the "old" cc3D working perfect except the pain of content landing connecting the usb cable and altering PID flying and repeat.

So I thought the first link is when you have the Revo with build in OPlink and the second link is 2 separate TX RX OPlink to connect to laptop and "old" cc3d.

So far correct? I already have 3 cc3d ( don't ask ) but only one quad. So I'm not going to buy yet another ( while better ) cc3d.

So to confirm the second link I posted is the correct setup I would order that one.

Regarding this easytune concept, does it require a knob on the TX? ( which I don't have, new Spektrum DX6 )

Thanks guys for the swift answers.

Philip

Hi agian,

• The second link from banggood you posted is some chinese non-standard "oplink air" port, which I dont think was ever introduced by LP/OP community. If you find documentation on connecting it to standard CC3D or someone who can help you, then fine. The first link is the devices documented in the op wiki link I posted, and from that you should be able to connect it. You might also need JST SH 1.0 like those http://www.ebay.com/itm/20-SETS-Mini-Micro-SH-1-0-4-Pin-JST-Connector-with-Wires-Cables-100MM-/251979895512
  • You need knob for easytune

Again, this link http://opwiki.readthedocs.org/en/latest/user_manual/oplink/cc.html describes how to connect OPlink to CC3D
Device they use is in the first link you posted http://m.banggood.com/OpenPilot-OPLINK-MINI-CC3D-REVO-Universal-Transceiver-TX-RX-Module-Integrating-Remote-Controller-p-1000081.html

They also have a picture of CC3D and laptop 

Jeuke26

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2016, 08:19:44 pm »
Thanks it's getting clear now. Is that a micro usb connection for the laptop?

And one needs to make your own cable for OPlink to CC3D? It's not supplied?

Mateusz

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2016, 08:25:59 pm »
Thanks it's getting clear now. Is that a micro usb connection for the laptop?

And one needs to make your own cable for OPlink to CC3D? It's not supplied?

I don't know what banggood sells. Some sellers sell with cable, some without. I got my oplink without any cables. Yes, OPlink on that picture has micro-usb.

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2016, 09:47:31 pm »
Did you get it working to your satisfaction?

Usually the OpLinks are used for telemetry between aircraft and PC/Laptop (not actually flying the aircraft, although that can be done too) and can be thought of as if it was a USB cable plugged in from aircraft to PC when you are flying.

If your transmitter has a spare knob or slider, you can use TxPID or EasyTune to make changes to PIDs while flying.

Mateusz

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2016, 10:21:48 pm »
Most recently I got oplink from here http://www.ebay.pl/itm/OPLINK-MINI-CC3D-REVO-Universal-Transceiver-TX-RX-Module-Integrating-R-C-/252035435875?
And it came with correct antenna and cable with JST-SH 1.0 4-pin connector on one side and servo connectors on another side.

Jeuke26

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2016, 03:31:51 pm »
Still waiting for the order to arrive, the reason I ordered it it to tune in flight, my Tx Spektrum DX6 ( new black ) doesn't have a knob more slider.

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2016, 05:19:04 pm »
If you are in a hurry to tune, and you have a spare RC radio and room on the quad for another receiver, and use PWM input, you could use the throttle stick from the second radio for TxPID/EasyTune.

Jeuke26

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2016, 06:31:59 pm »
That certainly would be possible, I have another dx6i and RX. How do I go from there?

I assume you have to assign throttle to channel 5 or 6 which a dx6i cannot do. Would be an awesome workaround.

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2016, 12:18:44 am »
Sorry, busy with other things.

If you are using PWM inputs on RC#1, then you simply add the other receiver from RC#2 and use say the throttle channel from RC#2 receiver and transmitter as if it were a knob or slider on RC#1.  Those connectors only have one wire, so you will need to somehow get power and ground to receiver#2.