hwh

Building on 64 bit Windows 10
« on: December 03, 2015, 06:14:01 pm »
I had to deviate from the wiki toolchain installation instructions to get it working on the 64 bit version of Windows 10.

By default https://git-for-windows.github.io/ installs the 64 bit version on 64 bit operating systems.  When I did that the step make all_sdk_install gives constant shell errors about fork not being able to allocate memory.  The system has 12 gig of ram so it should have been able to allocate as much as it wanted.  I uninstalled everything and tried again with the same results.

I got it working by installing the 32 bit version of git-for-windows.  There doesn't seem to be a link on https://git-for-windows.github.io/ to download the 32 bit version if you're on a 64 bit system so I right clicked on the download link, copied the url, pasted it into the browser address bar, and changed the 64 in the url to 32.  Once I installed the 32 bit version of git-for-windows all steps in the wiki worked perfectly. I suspect either something in the 64 bit version of git-for-windows or that's downloaded in make/scripts/win_sdk_install.sh doesn't like running 64 bit on a system with this much ram.

Both gcs and firmware now compile correctly.  I ran the gcs from the build directory and used it to download it's version of the cc3d firmware into a spare cc3d I have.  It all works fine.   Qt complains all during the build about never having been tested on Windows 10 but it doesn't affect anything and will go away when we upgrade to qt 5.5.

Brian

Re: Building on 64 bit Windows 10
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2015, 07:47:09 pm »
It doesn't have anything to do with the amount of memory.  I have the same problem on two machines with 4GB and 8GB memory.  Also, I was able to compile a week or so ago, but then I started getting those errors, and I blame it on the latest update to Windows 10, which I installed between when it was working an not.  I suspect MS changed something that breaks the (emulated?) fork call in the 64bit API.

Thanks for determining that it works with the 32 bit version.  That's probably a reasonable solution for now.  There is also work underway to build using msys2, which I think might be a better alternative all around.

ggrif

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2016, 12:18:29 am »
I had to deviate from the wiki toolchain installation instructions to get it working on the 64 bit version of Windows 10.

By default https://git-for-windows.github.io/ installs the 64 bit version on 64 bit operating systems.  When I did that the step make all_sdk_install gives constant shell errors about fork not being able to allocate memory.  The system has 12 gig of ram so it should have been able to allocate as much as it wanted.  I uninstalled everything and tried again with the same results.

I got it working by installing the 32 bit version of git-for-windows.  There doesn't seem to be a link on https://git-for-windows.github.io/ to download the 32 bit version if you're on a 64 bit system so I right clicked on the download link, copied the url, pasted it into the browser address bar, and changed the 64 in the url to 32.  Once I installed the 32 bit version of git-for-windows all steps in the wiki worked perfectly. I suspect either something in the 64 bit version of git-for-windows or that's downloaded in make/scripts/win_sdk_install.sh doesn't like running 64 bit on a system with this much ram.

Both gcs and firmware now compile correctly.  I ran the gcs from the build directory and used it to download it's version of the cc3d firmware into a spare cc3d I have.  It all works fine.   Qt complains all during the build about never having been tested on Windows 10 but it doesn't affect anything and will go away when we upgrade to qt 5.5.
Thanks so much for posting! I don't know squat about coding or building applications but I'd like to learn. I've been pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I did wrong with my attempt to build in Win 10 64 bit. Followed your advice, 32 bit works fine.

Thanks again.

hwh

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2016, 12:34:15 am »
You're welcome.  I actually got so fed up with Windows 10 in general that I switched my main (and newest, fastest, etc...) laptop to linux.  For years I've always run a version of windows on the newest laptop and linux on the next oldest laptop.  Now I'm doing just the opposite.

Sid

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2016, 04:18:54 am »
I discovered this issue with Win 7 back in days with OP about 4-5 years ago and I was told to use 32 bit version. It worked for me.