MAG not visible in Flight data
« on: January 24, 2016, 11:06:53 am »
To make a long story short: The MAG is always black in the flight data window!

I have made all calibrations with success, GPS is working properly, Motor Output, Tx/Rx all set and working! But whatever I have tried - the MAG stays black in the flight data window... (see attachment) Did change the AuxMAGsetting in system from 'both' to 'OnBoardOnly' to be sure that I only use the OnBoard MAG!

A little bit lost - did I miss something? It looks like if there is no MAG present, but why can I do the Calibration - and why is the compass working in flight data window if I turn the FC?

I tested it without the copter frame (no ESC attached) - does not make any difference...

Every help highly appreciated,

thanks in advance,

Peter

cato

Re: MAG not visible in Flight data
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2016, 11:13:53 am »
Which controller are you using? It looks like Revo, but just to make sure.

CC3D has no mag, so it is normal on that controller to see no mag :)

On Revo, though, if you set to "onboard", it should be red or green.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2016, 11:15:29 am »
Sorry - forgot to post: It's a Revo (original, no Clone!), so MAG should be present! And yes, it is set to OnBoard now, but still black!

Peter
« Last Edit: January 24, 2016, 11:20:59 am by reinhpe »

cato

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2016, 11:28:09 am »
ok :)

Well, I managed to get black mag with wrong settings, too. Let me check my memory check list :)

- when you first boot it, Revo's Attitude estimation is set to "Complementary". This does not use Mag, so it's off, then. Look at "Configuration->Attitude->Settings"
- To get Mag reading you need to switch to "GPS". I had and still have trouble to get this mode running reliably.

I guess that you are in the process of setting up a multicopter. I found it very useful to keep the quad in complementary and forget gps and compass while the quad is not tuned well. Only after I got it reliable stable in the air, I went into setting up GPS mode, which is a whole new chapter with lots of possible mistakes and problems.

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2016, 11:36:46 am »
Many thanks - that did the trick! I will follow your recommendation and tune the quad first without MAG and GPS and if stable enough try to get the best out of the additional devices!

Again - many thanks for your help!

cato

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2016, 01:19:52 pm »
you're welcome :)
Currently both my quads run complementary again, as I changed a lot recently again, and want them to behave well before I go back to GPS mode. That will happen when weather gets better again :)

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2016, 06:59:26 pm »
Did you ever get your MAG alarm green?
I am having the same issue and can not use the GPS until it (MAG) is working.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2016, 07:01:24 pm »