GCS translation into other languages
« on: January 23, 2016, 02:06:57 am »
I did a search of the forum but didn't not find anything on this.  My question is, has the GCS been translated into other languages, and/or is there any support for this?  There are a growing number of people here in Japan who are wanting to use OP GCS and apparently most only don't because it's in English, which they don't understand.  Most Japanese pilots use MultiWii because there is a Japanese version.  That's the only reason, and it sucks because well, MultiWii, IMO sucks compared to LibrePilot, OpenPilot, CleanFlight, etc.  If there is support for languages in the GCS, I can get it translated if provided the necessary file(s).  If there isn't such support, what would it take to add that support?

Thanks!
Shawn Sato-Veillon
Yokohama, Japan

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: GCS translation into other languages
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2016, 02:12:35 am »
Good idea :)

Did you already setup a dev environnement ? Compiled GCS locally ?

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016, 02:35:40 am »
The integration of other languages is pretty easy.

Here is a gcs_ja.ts file that need to be edited using the QTLinguist app, please do not edit directly with a text editor, this may result in encoding issues.

You should install the Qt5.5.1 suite and edit the gcs_ja.ts but without source you can't see the context. Better call QTLinguist from source tree.

What OS are you using ?

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2016, 02:48:54 am »
Sorry, no, do I need to?  Never done it before.  I have compiled one or two things before (LOL) but never GCS, and not on my current PC (shows how long it's been).  But thinking about it, that's probably a good idea.  And I would be honored and excited to actually contribute  something that got distributed.  Only thing is, I don't really want to recompile every time there is an update.  I was more thinking for smarter people than me make translation support - like for websites, where there is a file that has the base language (english) and direct translation to other languages, which a user could download and put somewhere in the install directory, or even better, pick from a list inside the GCS once installed.  Unless the text in GCS changes (which would be rare), then it can be included with every update/download/version. 

This is what a website translation file looks like (tiny copy paste from the one I'm working on for MultiGP):
return array(
   // global
   'Home'=>'ホム',
   'About'=>'約',
   'Forum'=>'フォーラム',
   'Shop'=>'ショップ',
   'Contact Us'=>'お問い合わせ',
   'Dashboard'=>'ダッシュボード',

My wife is actually a professional translator, and I have to pay her in massage time.  I'm falling behind too, by two hours! LOL
Shawn Sato-Veillon
Yokohama, Japan

« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 02:50:47 am »
The integration of other languages is pretty easy.

Here is a gcs_ja.ts file that need to be edited using the QTLinguist app, please do not edit directly with a text editor, this may result in encoding issues.

You should install the Qt5.5.1 suite and edit the gcs_ja.ts but without source you can't see the context. Better call QTLinguist from source tree.

What OS are you using ?

Awesome!  Feels like quick progress!  XD
I will install QTLinguist Suite 5.5.1. 
I'm on Windows 10.  Don't be scared.  LOL
Shawn Sato-Veillon
Yokohama, Japan

« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 02:54:19 am »
Aha, yes, it is asking me for the repository info.
Shawn Sato-Veillon
Yokohama, Japan

« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 04:30:33 am »
Other than any necessary connection to the repository, looks like I'm ready to rock.
Shawn Sato-Veillon
Yokohama, Japan

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 10:43:45 am »
Looks ok for a start.

You only miss the context.

There is some fields like : button:help or fieldname:AcroInsanityFactor
For some reason this fields appears here but do not need translation.. if translated gcs hangs.

Translation is a very long work, i have done almost the whole french part.