CC3D Wont' Fly
« on: January 20, 2016, 04:02:08 am »
Hello everyone, I've been working with a new-brand CC3D with Open Pilot. Actually, I've followed the steps shown in the official page of Open Pilot, I've calibrated ESCs, RC, and so on. Here are the setups and a video about the problem. I've checked all and the motors turn in the right directions and so are the propellers.

Hardware setup:

Frame: Quadrocopter Spider X500 TBS DJI
Motors: MultiStar 2212 - 920Kv
ESCs: SimonK 30A
Flight Control Board: CC3D Open Pilot
Battery: LiPo 3S 4200mAh
Propellers: Self-tightening 9443 (Included with the motors)
RC: Turnigy 9X

Open Pilot setup:

Controller type: OpenPilot CopterControl 3D
Vehicle type: Multirotor
Vehicle sub type: Quadcopter X
Input type: PWM (One cable per channel)
Speed Controller (ESC) type: Rapid ESC (490 Hz) Is it correct for SimonK ? I've tried with standard and the problem remains.
Initial Tuning: Current Tuning

All the other configurations/parameters are the default ones.

With respect to the ESCs calibration, I did it as shown by the setup of Open Pilot.

Should I need to set extra parameters to get it work ? Any ideas about what could be the problem ? Where must go the air of the props up or down ?

Videos:

Thanks in advance. Any help would come really handy.

Re: CC3D Wont' Fly
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2016, 04:09:19 am »
Air always blows down.  :)

Follow the Airframe picture on the Vehicle page to get motor direction correct, then make sure you have the correct prop on each motor so that they all blow down.

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2016, 04:16:59 am »
and be aware that LibrePilot supports the CC3D and has many of the developers and all the code from OpenPilot, and OpenPilot seems to be gone.  You will find it harder to get help on an OpenPilot setup than a LibrePilot setup.

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2016, 05:58:24 am »
From the videos I think your props are wrong. Also in the first video one of the rear motors spins the wrong direction.
5" alien 4s 596grams with battery and GoPro FPV
Lantian LT210 4s 604grams with batt and GoPro FPV
GE X220 4s 6" 513grams with batt and HD cam FPV
Homemade acro X copter. 6" 4s - like a warpquad LOS

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2016, 07:03:54 am »
From the videos I think your props are wrong. Also in the first video one of the rear motors spins the wrong direction.

I guess the motor that spins in the wrong direction is the # 1 , isn't ?.

I've attached a picture of the props that I'm using, at the top is the CW and below the CCW. So, motor 1 and 3 CW and the other ones CCW.

Thanks in advance.

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2016, 07:09:15 am »
and be aware that LibrePilot supports the CC3D and has many of the developers and all the code from OpenPilot, and OpenPilot seems to be gone.  You will find it harder to get help on an OpenPilot setup than a LibrePilot setup.

Many thanks I've just noticed about LibrePilot, so I'm to check it out and configure anew with LibrePilot.
So if the air blows up at least one prop must be spinning in the wrong direction. I've attached a picture of my props on the other reply of this post.

Again, many thanks for helping me.
Regards.

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2016, 07:35:46 am »
You must do it in the order I gave.  :)  Just because air blows upward does not mean it is turning in the wrong direction.  It may have the wrong prop on it.  :)

Make sure motor directions are correct, then any motor that blows up has the wrong prop on it.

cato

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2016, 12:42:29 pm »
This looks like a TBS Discovery or similar, so I assume that in the first video the tail looks towards the camera. Your prop photo reveals the directions of your self tightening nuts: Black ones must rotate clockwise (cw) and tighten counter clockwise (ccw), silver ones must rotate ccw and tighten cw.

Based on these assumptions I can see the following:

motor #1 (North West): motor spins in the correct direction, but wrong hub type
motor #2 (North East): motor spins in the wrong direction. wrong motor
motor #3 (South East): motor spins correct direction, wrong motor
motor #4 (South West): motor spins correct direction, wrong motor

the correct setup:

motor #1 black nut, tightens ccw, motor spins cw
motor #2 silver nut, tightens cw, motor spins ccw
motor #3 black nut, tightens ccw, motor spins cw
motor #4 silver nut, tightens cw, motor spins ccw

Based on what I can see, I am afraid that you need to change all your motors.

Have fun :)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 01:27:37 pm by cato »
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2016, 07:11:05 pm »
Also, in case you didn't know how to reverse the direction of a motor, you simply swap any 2 of the 3 wires going from ESC to motor.

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2016, 05:55:54 am »
This looks like a TBS Discovery or similar, so I assume that in the first video the tail looks towards the camera. Your prop photo reveals the directions of your self tightening nuts: Black ones must rotate clockwise (cw) and tighten counter clockwise (ccw), silver ones must rotate ccw and tighten cw.

Based on these assumptions I can see the following:

motor #1 (North West): motor spins in the correct direction, but wrong hub type
motor #2 (North East): motor spins in the wrong direction. wrong motor
motor #3 (South East): motor spins correct direction, wrong motor
motor #4 (South West): motor spins correct direction, wrong motor

the correct setup:

motor #1 black nut, tightens ccw, motor spins cw
motor #2 silver nut, tightens cw, motor spins ccw
motor #3 black nut, tightens ccw, motor spins cw
motor #4 silver nut, tightens cw, motor spins ccw

Based on what I can see, I am afraid that you need to change all your motors.

Have fun :)

I've changed the motors as you told me and finally it flown, the motors had to be changed, black nut in place of silver nut and vice-versa with they respective props in place.

Now, I just have to place the battery in a place where it doesn't cause any kind of destabilization when flying. I really appreciate the help, many thanks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016, 06:01:37 am by rid3r77 »

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2016, 05:58:08 am »
Also, in case you didn't know how to reverse the direction of a motor, you simply swap any 2 of the 3 wires going from ESC to motor.

Thanks for the help. I'd done it before, but it was really helpful to remember it again.
Cheers.

cato

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2016, 08:15:29 am »
Great to hear that you could solve it. The position of the battery should be ok where it is. The center of gravity should be in the center of the frame, but in your case it may be shifted to the back, because the tbs is designed to carry a camera with gimbal at the front. This should not be a problem, the controller should be able to compensate it.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS