Hexmad

Barometer doing my head in.
« on: January 17, 2016, 05:02:17 am »
 Hi all. Got a baro issue with my op revo board (clone) my barometer jumps up to 6m in variance. This is while the board is in a sealed snap lock bag inside a closed cigarette packet, ive done thermal calibration done over a 40c range  No light and zero air currents. I have checked the baro chip under a magnifying glass and its the correct numbers for a genuine revo board so not the low res version. Wtf am I doing wrong here ?? Any guidance would be much appreciated

hwh

Re: Barometer doing my head in.
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2016, 05:24:55 am »
Have you tried the solutions in the thread on this problem? https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=311.0

Hexmad

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2016, 06:08:46 am »
Thx for reply I was stupidly enough reading that just after posting. Removed c9 from board, pc wouldnt recognize board was plugged in. Rechecked surrounding solder connections. Found one I must have touched accidentally. Board now works with less than 0.6m variation. Stoked !!  Now to sort this damn magnetic declination issues with the compass.  At least until you legends sort out how to use an external one. ;)

Mateusz

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2016, 09:46:29 am »
Thx for reply I was stupidly enough reading that just after posting. Removed c9 from board, pc wouldnt recognize board was plugged in. Rechecked surrounding solder connections. Found one I must have touched accidentally. Board now works with less than 0.6m variation. Stoked !!  Now to sort this damn magnetic declination issues with the compass.  At least until you legends sort out how to use an external one. ;)

Well done with fixing baro on the clone :)

• What is your mag issue ? I am curious as I also used to have problem with mag interference from power lines.
  • I use external mag with Cliff's Sparky2 branch, aux mag should be also in next (git) already, though I would wait a couple of days because now it's just after adding a big feature.

So external mag should be in next LP release, the code is there.

Hexmad

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 10:37:10 am »
Thanks I actually got altitude hold working quite well.. little bit of fluctuation but im assuming this is just tuning. RE Mag..only got onboard (so keen for this new release) got a good calibration will do gps hold once then next attempt 15secs later it toiletbowls its itself to death.

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2016, 01:34:01 pm »
Thanks I actually got altitude hold working quite well.. little bit of fluctuation but im assuming this is just tuning. RE Mag..only got onboard (so keen for this new release) got a good calibration will do gps hold once then next attempt 15secs later it toiletbowls its itself to death.

Was mag calibrated via OPlink and outdoors ? How does Atitude states behave in Scopes ? If you can see periodic pattern there it's likely mag interference.

Hexmad

« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2016, 01:36:33 pm »
Yes it was done outside via oplink.  I had this fc mounted on a tower a full 80mm from any current with fairly efficient motors still the same.

Hexmad

« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2016, 01:38:07 pm »
Scopes are all good. HOWEVER im not using ins13 because it goes haywire everytime I use that mode.

Mateusz

« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2016, 03:01:31 pm »
Scopes are all good. HOWEVER im not using ins13 because it goes haywire everytime I use that mode.

if you don't use INS13, how are you using Mag ? Complementary uses only gyro and accel. And position hold/roam with GPS assist is only possible with INS13 afaik.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2016, 03:04:29 pm »
if you don't use INS13, how are you using Mag ? Complementary uses only gyro and accel. And position hold/roam with GPS assist is only possible with INS13 afaik.

Complementary+Mag+GPS ?

Hexmad

« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2016, 03:10:51 pm »
In comp + mag + gps  is where I get the toilet bowl effect. It flies perfect in rate / attitude. The baro seems good now so my guess is its all mag.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2016, 03:53:26 pm »
Can you monitor Mag alarm while flying using Oplink ?

Remember you can record a log, Tools > Start log. No need to see computer screen while flying :)

Hexmad

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2016, 03:55:50 pm »
I will do that tomorrow and record a log.

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2016, 02:15:31 am »
You need to do thermal calibration for baro to work best, otherwise baro will drift (come down) several meters as board warms up.

GPS flight modes require a good baro, which requires that all hight current wire pairs / triples are twisted together.  Battery to PDB, PDB to ESC, ESC to motor.