cc3d flip problem
« on: January 16, 2016, 04:58:13 pm »
I'm using the most recent libre pilot and the firmware it applies by using the built in update function. Today after flying many times while tuning pid's and then attempting to start a new flight the quad flipped aggressively on attempt to take off with minimal throttle. It did it the second time i tried to launch as well breaking my vtx. I removed the vtx and checked gcs to see that the fc saw itself flipping at an incredible rate. Recalibrating did not resolve the issue, but only seemed to change the direction of the bizarre flipping. Using gcs update and erase fixed the problem. Is there something i can do to prevent this happening again? Is this a known issue?

Re: cc3d flip problem
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2016, 05:58:46 pm »
The most likely explanation is that you were moving the quad while the gyros were being calibrated.  You can tell when gyros are being calibrated, because the blue LED blinks fast during gyro calibration.

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2016, 07:20:00 pm »
The quad was power cycled several times and was not moving while it was zeroing. So it was not a gyro calibration problem, at least not the result of me moving it. Like i said it had this problem after being calibrated in gcs as well. Any other ideas?

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2016, 09:48:09 pm »
Trying to take off from the side of a hill in Attitude mode (slowly) will cause a flip.  Bad sensor calibrations can do similar things.

« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2016, 09:54:58 pm »
I don't use attitude mode, and again in gcs the fc clearly saw itself as flipping almost randomly at an incredible pace repeatedly and no calibration fixed it even though calibrating worked fine before and after upgrading and erasing the problem was gone. Any one have any better ideas? To be more specific about the flipping it was seeing, it must have been on the order of 10's of flips a second.

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2016, 08:02:56 pm »
Until i feel comfortable that the new releases aren't the problem i've rolled back to the original 15.02. Possibly related, after a few flights this morning my cc3d wouldn't connect to my pc anymore. After some doins i found out my extension usb cable had gone bad and would no longer allow communication or significant power through it. Dear programmers, is it possible that the dying cable caused a problem while saving pid's that would cause the accelerometer to show me constantly flipping at an incredible rate like previously stated, even after being recalibrated in gcs.

cato

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2016, 01:46:36 pm »
Did the controller catch moisture or anything that could cause the sensors crazy?

As you say that the software sees the copter fliping all the time, this sounds very much like a problem with the sensors to me.
Nighthawk 250, MT1806, 12A ESC OneShot125, Revo, M8n GPS, FPV
Cinetank MKII, Elite 2216, 30A Afro OneShot125, Revo Clone, M8N GPS

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2016, 07:51:11 pm »
Sorry for the slow response I've been busy. It is possible the fc received some moisture since I was landing in dewy grass however I don't think the upgrade and erase would have fixed the problem if that was the cause.

cato

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2016, 09:08:03 pm »
I had the situation that a revo and a cc3d catched moisture. Especially the revo reacted very nasty. The only way to solve the problems resulting from that was to get it dry again, and then do an upgrade&erase procedure. It was possible to load a uav file saved before the accident to get them flying again.

If that does not help I would suspect a hardware problem.

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2016, 10:48:13 am »
I had this happen to my CC3D after I landed it in snow, it was a smooth landing but snow was pushed up throu the holes in the chassi bottom plate and got onto the FC. the quad flipped when i put the new battery on it, I restarted it 3 times with the same result then I took it inside and placed the quad on a radiator and 15 min after it flew without any problems. moister will make your quad flip.

cato

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2016, 10:52:30 am »
With cc3d you can do easy water proof by applying some electrical tape or Corosion X or similar. On Revo needs a lot more care not to damage the baro with such means. But I managed to get them water resistant this way. Since then not trouble anymore with snow or rain.

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2016, 06:20:15 pm »
Any word on whether you can spray electrical tape esc without overheating problems

cato

« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2016, 10:26:52 am »
I would not put electrical tape on ESCs. I tested Fluid Film (sth like Corrosion X) on them. It protects them well against rain, but I would not trust it too far. For more ideas, Flite Test made a video about that problem:

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 02:18:11 am »
I used neverwet on escs. Works great. Doesn't leave everthing oily. Haven't tried on cc3d yet though.  Mine landed in snow and had same problems of flipping on computer. Also if board is flashing fast you can rotate quad until light flash slow it will do the same thing