Re: Best GPS for Revolution (FPV)
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 01:12:39 pm »
Search for mini GPS on Revolution     

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2015, 01:13:41 pm »
In the multiroto section the is a good deal of info in that posting

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2016, 10:10:51 pm »
The answer can depend on what FC you use (CC3D requires a GPS that saves settings, and does not need a mag) and what you want to do (autonomous flight like RTB requires Revo class FC, needs a mag, external mags are better, we are working to support more external mags) and whether you can solder fairly well.

If price doesn't matter the easiest to use at this point in time is OP Platinum GPS, but it is not made any more and is very expensive.

Soon we hope to release support for external mags, but that requires an extra FC port and can thus keep you from attaching everything you want, especially to a Nano.

A little later, I hope we can release support for other external mag GPS units like DJI which (clones) are available for a good price.

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2016, 03:19:45 am »
Hey I have a revo board and a Ublox NEO-6M gps with a separate I2C cable.  With just the main GPS cable plugged in the revo does not recognize that a GPS is plugged in.  Does anyone know how to properly set this up?

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2016, 04:02:15 am »
The Cheapie Neo6 that I have has two connectors, a serial GPS and an I2C mag.

You can use the serial GPS connected to mainport or flexiport.  Tell it which one in Configuration.  Leave everything else default and the Revo (15.09) will auto-configure the GPS and allow you to use it.

The mag port will also be usable in the next release, but you can use the onboard mag on the Revo and it works fine (minis and powerful quads have some problems with strong mag fields).

With serial make sure Tx (GPS) connects to Rx (Revo) and Rx connects to Tx.

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2016, 04:36:04 am »
I have done all of that.  I hooked it up to ucenter to make sure the gps was working properly and it was but when I hook it up the the revolution it always says no gps connected.  P.S. I'm powering the board from an external power supply to provide the GPS with power and the light is on.  Sorry for the questions but I have no experience with using a gps so any help is great.

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2016, 04:56:07 am »
To get power to the GPS it does require that Revo be powered via the flight battery system (ESC/servo connectors), but it sounds like you have an acceptable alternative.

Have you tried a 4 wire cable going from GPS to Revo?  4 wires actually connecting?  If the GPS accepts 5V power, it should also power up if you just use your flight battery system where everything gets power from the BEC's in the ESC's via the 3 pin connectors.  If that doesn't work then maybe you have a bad cable pinout.

What GPS is it?  Like this one that I have?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ublox-NEO-6M-GPS-HMC5883L-Compass-Module-APM-2-6-ARDUPILOT-MEGA-2-6-GPS-6M-/281573515693

Or is it an OP GPS?

What kind of flight controller is it supposed to connect to?  Most are not made for Revo compatibility and do require swapping pins around in the cable/connector (the eBay Neo6) or soldering on a JST-SH 1.0mm connector (that is what a standard OP connector is).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2016, 05:09:20 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2016, 03:01:58 am »
This is the GPS that I have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B013UW2KKM?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Attached below is a picture of my GPS connected to the Revo.  It's connected ground to ground, positive to positive, GPS Tx to Revo Rx, and GPS Rx to Revo Tx.  The white and orange cords that aren't connected are the I2C cords.

The GPS lights up so I know it's getting power and I know the cords are connected properly because I've hooked it up to an FTDI cable and seen it sending and receiving data but I don't know why I can't get it to work with the Revo.

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2016, 05:49:54 pm »
A friend got a Revo clone that had a bad MainPort.  There was a soldering short that I removed and now it works.  Either test the port it is on, or try the other port.

On Revo with a working Ublox GPS, all you should need to do is:
- tell it which port it is plugged in on Configuration -> Hardware
- use all default values for GPSSettings
- have a flight battery plugged in (GPS won't be powered without it)

You can see what the GPS status is and how well it is working by going to System -> Data Objects -> GPSPositionSensor
In particular, there is a baud rate (auto baud detection), a sensor type (changes from unknown to UBX6), and an autoconfig status (disabled, running, done, error).

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2016, 05:55:28 pm »
Okay I have two Revo boards and Ill try it on the the ports tonight to see if its a board/port issue or not.  Thanks for your help. ill let you know if i get it working.

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2016, 03:12:49 am »
Okay I've tried it on both boards on all the ports and it came up with the red x on all of them...any other ideas?

hwh

« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2016, 03:50:50 am »
If it were mine, even believing I had wired it correctly, I'd take a couple of minutes and swap the transmit and receive pins on the FC end of the cable.  It's easy and quick to lift the pin locks and pop the pins out of the SH connector and swap them just to make sure. 45 years working on electronics have taught me to try even the most unlikely things.

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2016, 04:16:37 am »
haha yeah it hit me about an hour to go to triple check it and I had it wired backwards from when i was using it with ucenter.  Swapped the wires, plugged everything in and it picked up 9 satellites sitting in my living room.  Thank you so much for everyones help...i feel stupid for making such a rookie mistake.