Jim0000

Re: Yaw channel not working in CC3D flight controller.
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2020, 10:27:11 am »
The STM32F is the main processor chip.  It has a LOT of tiny leads.  The ship we need to know about is the one with 8 (comparatively) large leads.  Or you can simply flash the matching version of the patched firmware without checking the flash ram brand.  It won't hurt..............

The small chip with 8 pins is not prefixed "STM". It has numbers that I am partly unable to identify.

............. flash the fixed firmware ...........................

There are three files offered. I will need to know which one is the correct one, in order to make the process worth while.

The Configuration->Input page has a "Receiver Activity" box in the upper right corner.

USB power does not power the RC receiver.  You need a flight battery plugged in for that.  So with it powered by a battery (probably through the ESC's voltage reduction BEC) and with USB also plugged in and the transmitter and receiver running, when you (one at a time) wiggle 4 stick directions and the flight mode switch, you should see the receiver activity box say that it sees activity on some channel number.  Each of the 5 RC functions should come across on a different channel number, and each stick function and the one switch should all show activity on some channel number.  If they don't, you need to re-run either the whole setup wizard or the transmitter setup wizard, but that will fail if you have a Winbond chip and are running unfixed firmware.

I am ok with all that (I understand it all). I have been seeing receiver activity on all 4 channels in the "Receiver Activity" box, including channel 5 now.

Jim.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2020, 11:17:47 pm by Jim0000 »

« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2020, 11:14:14 pm »
There are three files offered. I will need to know which one is the correct one, in order to make the process worth while.
I suspect that you are running version 16.09, so you need the 1609 file.  The other files are for a couple versions of "next".  GCS -> Help -> About LibrePilot will say something like "Revision: 16.09"

I am ok with all that (I understand it all). I have been seeing receiver activity on all 4 channels in the "Receiver Activity" box, including channel 5 now.
If all 5 are different channel numbers, then you should be able to run either the transmitter wizard (on the Input page) or the whole setup wizard, and all 5 channels should now work (as viewed on the sliders on the Input page with receiver and transmitter powered up ... but as I said before, make sure you don't have the save settings bug (by knowing for sure the flash chip is ST, not Winbond; or just flash the fixed firmware which works correctly for both) before spending more time on other testing.

Jim0000

« Reply #17 on: August 04, 2020, 11:20:32 pm »
......................... just flash the fixed firmware which works correctly for both) before spending more time on other testing.

I'll do that today. More later............

Jim0000

Unable to open r782.opfw
« Reply #18 on: August 05, 2020, 08:38:14 am »
Cliff,

I am unable to open that file.
What can I do about that ?

Jim.

Re: Unable to open r782.opfw
« Reply #19 on: August 05, 2020, 10:14:17 am »
So your version is "next r782"?

download the *.opfw file that you need
unplug all CC3D power, including USB
go to Firmware page
press Rescue
plug in CC3D to USB
use the Open button to navigate to the downloaded *.opfw file and open it
press Flash

Jim0000

Re: Unable to open r782.opfw
« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2020, 11:31:12 am »
So your version is "next r782"?

I'm not sure, and I don't know how to confirm. So, I am just trying it (taking a stab).

« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2020, 05:20:41 am »
I suspect that you are running version 16.09, so you need the 1609 file.  The other files are for a couple versions of "next".  GCS -> Help -> About LibrePilot will say something like "Revision: 16.09"

Jim0000

« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2020, 01:52:33 pm »
I flashed 16.09 and ran the full Wizard set up again.
The yaw function still does not work.

I am just about done with this...........running out of time.

« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2020, 08:18:58 pm »
There must be something here that I am assuming, that I shouldn't be.

What test are you doing to show that the yaw channel is not working?
- Is it when you try to fly that it spins like a top?
- Is it when you run the motors before you fly, the yaw stick doesn't change the motors, but the roll stick does?
- Is it that the GCS Input page shows roll slider motion when you move the transmitter roll stick, but the yaw stick doesn't move its GCS slider?

===============================================

There are some model templates in the setup wizard that we sometimes call "cloud configs."  Some of these may not be well tested and are just what somebody set up and donated.  If you are using a cloud config, I suggest that you try running the setup wizard with default settings.

When running the wizard, you have to be careful to move only the one transmitter stick direction that is called for, but that doesn't really sound like the issue.  For instance, the throttle channel doesn't have a spring, and it's easy to accidentally move the throttle when trying to just move the yaw.

If you still have the CC3D connected in the way that we got the yaw channel to show up in GCS -> Input -> Receiver Activity

and GCS still shows receiver activity on all 5 radio functions; all on different channel numbers

and you follow all the instructions in the transmitter wizard (you are probably using mode 2) while watching that the moving transmitter cartoon on the GCS has the same transmitter part moving that you are supposed to move in real life

and the end cartoon of the transmitter wizard has all the transmitter functions moving to match what you move in real life

and yaw does nothing to the motors when sitting armed on the ground with the motors idling, but roll does change the motors

Then I am stumped.

If one of the above is not true (this cartoon motion doesn't match that stick motion) then we can go back to that and figure out why.

Jim0000

« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2020, 11:54:12 pm »
There must be something here that I am assuming, that I shouldn't be.

What test are you doing to show that the yaw channel is not working?
- Is it that the GCS Input page shows roll slider motion when you move the transmitter roll stick, but the yaw stick doesn't move its GCS slider?...................

Yes to the latter. I don't get beyond this test while still connected to the computer. Not nearly ready to do a flying test. (Does not apply).

===============================================
............ I suggest that you try running the setup wizard with default settings............

I have only been trying the default settings. I know nothing of "cloud configs".

When running the wizard, you have to be careful to move only the one transmitter stick direction that is called for, but that doesn't really sound like the issue.  For instance, the throttle channel doesn't have a spring, and it's easy to accidentally move the throttle when trying to just move the yaw............

There is a small chance that is the problem. Not likely, but I will check by keeping the throttle stick on minimum and just moving the stick sideways (Yaw).

If you still have the CC3D connected in the way that we got the yaw channel to show up in GCS -> Input -> Receiver Activity

and GCS still shows receiver activity on all 5 radio functions; all on different channel numbers

When I move the yaw stick (left stick..........mode 2), I see no receiver activity. That is how I know I have no yaw function. No purpose in going further to try and fly as the problem is already revealed.
No yaw function received.
I don't know how to put it more clearly.

If one of the above is not true (this cartoon motion doesn't match that stick motion) then we can go back to that and figure out why.

Yes, the simulator motion image (cartoon depiction) does nothing when the yaw stick is moved.
Just repeating for clarity: this is how I conclude that I have no yaw function.

Jim.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 12:00:57 am by Jim0000 »

Jim0000

Screenshot for clarification.
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2020, 12:13:20 am »
I tried running through the transmitter set up wizard again. This time, I ensured that I was applying a yaw (sideways) movement of the left stick (mode 2) only, by keeping it at max or min throttle position.
Problem still exists.
No indication on the GCS(?) screen of receiver activity when left stick  moved sideways to initiate yaw.
Screenshot attached.

Jim0000

Re: Screenshot for clarification.
« Reply #26 on: August 07, 2020, 12:16:25 am »
I tried running through the transmitter set up wizard again. This time, I ensured that I was applying a yaw (sideways) movement of the left stick (mode 2) only, by keeping it at max or min throttle position.
Problem still exists.
No indication on the GCS(?) screen of receiver activity when left stick  moved sideways to initiate yaw.
Screenshot attached.

There is one more thing I can try. Now I have flashed the updated firmware, I will try using another channel for yaw. I have it connected back to channel 4 now (green wire connected to the rx. #4 signal pin - Futaba pattern).

« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2020, 04:50:02 am »
Did the wizard animation show all 5 of the channels were working?  ...  If so, then simply rerunning the transmitter wizard or the whole setup wizard should work correctly and make all the functions work.

When I move the yaw stick (left stick..........mode 2), I see no receiver activity.
I don't know how to put it more clearly.

It seems that we found that there is a problem if you just plug CC3D plugs into the receiver "normally."  The normal yaw wire or that CC3D channel you usually connect that to doesn't work.  Effectively think of it as a broken wire.  Unplug the broken wire and plug in a working one to get the signal to the CC3D.  Run the setup wizard with the wires connected so that all the signals can get to the CC3D.  Don't use that broken wire.  :)

Jim0000

« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2020, 11:01:03 am »
I tried swapping the receiver to flight controller wires around in several different combinations.
No matter which wires I used, the yaw function does not work when I run the transmitter set up wizard.

Time to call it quits I think Cliff.

Thanks for all your assistance.

Jim.

« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2020, 08:43:18 pm »
Even if all that doesn't work, if there is activity for channel X when the yaw stick is moved, you can simply manually configure the yaw (Input page) to use that channel, with min/neutral/max taken from say the roll channel that is working.

(If Save Settings is working)

==========================================

You said that yaw had "receiver activity (on a unique channel number not used by other functions)."

(If you select the correct receiver input during setup ... and you have if other channels work) Setup doesn't change whether you have yaw "receiver activity" or not, so that wiring configuration should still have yaw receiver activity after setup.

If the CC3D can save settings (you are running the fixed firmware that matches "Help -> About LibrePilot - Revision:", so it should) and the wizard yaw stick motions are done right, receiver activity on a channel should make setup connect that channel to yaw.   :o

Sorry we didn't get it working for you.  :(