chartel

fw_coptercontrol_ibus14ch question
« on: January 24, 2020, 03:38:10 pm »
Good afternoon
Does this firmware work with the revolution flight controller and librepilot next? Because when I try to do Firmware Rescue, I get a message that this firmware is not for revolution.
My question is, if I can still install the firmware
thanks

Re: fw_coptercontrol_ibus14ch question
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 09:33:55 pm »
That firmware is for CC3D.  The rest of that thread has additional info and links (e.g. bitbucket link to code changes).

I see that the code change has not been merged into the standard code base ("next") yet, so you would probably need to build it yourself or get a dev to build it.  And build it for whatever version you are using (e.g. 16.09 or next:r782).

The most straightforward way is if you can build / compile the source code yourself.  You just merge that simple set of changes into your code and build it.  That way you also know you get the correct matching version.

As I understand, there are also hardware mods where you can get analog RSSI out of some kinds of receivers.  That may also be worth looking into.

chartel

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2020, 09:51:23 pm »
hello cliff.
Thanks for your quick response and help.
I've been researching and for me this programming field seems complicated, although it seems like a simple thing, just changing a few parameters, but I don't even know how to start.
I bought a fli14 + receiver that has rssi on channel 14 on ibus, at the moment what appears on osd is 99% signal always.
I will research how to have the analog signal, but I do not know if it is possible with this receiver. I'm new on this drone hobby.
Thanks

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2020, 05:47:22 pm »
Here is some info on getting started building the source code.  I understand if you don't want to go there though.  :)

It should be a 1 hour task (other than the downloading and the building which depend on internet and PC speed), but plan on a day and you may hit snags and have to ask for help on top of that.

There are several non-developer users who build from source code, maybe it would help for them to comment on difficulty.  There is a set of instructions to follow to make sure you have all the needed compilers, etc. installed on your computer. The main developer document page is here (but just skip this and go to install pages below):
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/4128776/Developer+Manual

Individual pages on how to install these tools for your OS are here:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/14876735/Windows+Building+and+Packaging
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/57671696/Linux+-+Building+and+Packaging
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/9502736/Mac+-+Building+and+Packaging

The link to the code change from another thread is here:
https://bitbucket.org/librepilot/librepilot/pull-requests/536

That bitbucket link in effect says says there is only one file to change for revolution FC (based on where ever you installed the source code):
flight/targets/boards/revolution/pios_board.h
and go to line 279 and change the 10 to a 14
It's probably a good idea to use a simple text editor like Notepad rather than a word processor like Office.
That is all that is required to make this fix, although a one line change in the GCS makes it easier to use GCS.  The GCS change was not done for the original user and he got it working.  :)  in the thread here:
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4643.msg31454#msg31454

The other file changes get it working for the other flight controllers.

99% RSSI ... You should try setting your transmitter to "range check mode" (reduced power) and moving the transmitter far enough away that it starts to lose control.  Sometimes RSSI is actually implemented as "good packet percent", and when that is consistently below 99% at all, you are really very close to the edge and should turn back.  On the other hand, maybe something is wrong...
« Last Edit: January 26, 2020, 05:52:39 pm by TheOtherCliff »

jdl

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2020, 09:32:07 am »
It's probably a good idea to use a simple text editor like Notepad rather than a word processor like Office.

I'd recommend Notepad++ instead of Windows Notepad.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/downloads/

chartel

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2020, 06:34:24 pm »
Hello Cliff
I have ventured to do the building source code.
I did exactly as described and it seems to me that everything is going well,
I also change the file (pios_board.h) with notepad ++ (thanks jdl).
However in the final part I do not understand.

(this part)
"Then GCS software:
Finally all files are packaged using the Nsis software installer.

I think I have to do something else with the "Nsis" program,
but I can't find information. can you give me a tip?
Thanks
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 09:55:35 am by chartel »

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2020, 04:23:38 pm »
"Nsis" program
This is the program that packages up all the files into a single executable LibrePilot installation program.  It is automatically used in the final step of building all the source code.  You should not need to know anything about it, just like you don't know anything about the GCC compiler that turns the C/CPP language source code into GCS and firmware.  You can build and run the source code without it if you only need LibrePilot on this one computer.

If you do the command:
Code: [Select]
make packageor in Windows you maybe do:
mingw32-make packagethen it will build all LibrePilot programs and use them to make a LibrePilot installation program that you can take to any computer (that has same OS) to install it there.  This LibrePilot installation program is the same kind that we make for users to install, so they don't have to build from source code.  You can use this to easily install this same full LibrePilot package on other computers without actually installing any of the stuff that is needed to build the source code.

If you only need LibrePilot on the one computer where you build the source code, then the only thing that running the LibrePilot installation program will do for you is to make some desktop / menu shortcuts.  You can skip running the LibrePilot installation program and just run the GCS from the command line (same directory where you do the make commands) like this instead if you want:
./build/librepilot-gcs_release/bin/librepilot-gcs

chartel

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2020, 06:03:45 pm »
thanks Cliff for the help.
ok i'm in trouble.
I would like to make the program to install on another computer,
but before that I do all the steps until the command "mingw32-make all_sdk_install" and I have an error a SyntaxError: invalid syntax.
I don't think he creates the necessary files. I attach the image with the error as well as the folders created in the
installation directory.
Do you think I'm doing something wrong?
Thanks

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2020, 07:42:11 am »
That looks like a version issue with the version of the python programming language that you have installed, or that you have not installed all the dependencies (a piece of python).  I recall problems with "all_sdk_install".  I would try just "build_sdk_install" and move on if that works.  "all_sdk_install" is more needed by active developers.

This sdk install is what you do (just one time) before you actually build the source.

The following builds firmware and GCS and then makes the install program.  If it runs without error, then you are done.  If there are errors, fix the first one and try again ... repeat.
mingw32-make package

chartel

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2020, 09:08:58 pm »
The command "build_sdk_install" did not work, it seems to me that I have a dependency problem. I have this message on "mingw64".

translated from portuguese to english

"solving dependencies ...
looking for conflicting packages ...
attention: cyclical dependence detected:
Attention: mingw-w64-x86_64-harfbuzz will be installed before dependency mingw-w64-x86_64-freetype
attention: cyclical dependence detected:
attention: mingw-w64-x86_64-ffms2 will be installed before the dependency mingw-w64-x86_64-ffmpeg "

I was thinking about doing all this on another computer, but the user's name has the name with spaces, and I already changed the user's name on windows 10 but in "MSYS" he continues to create the home folder with spaces.

Is it possible to change the name of the home folder in "MSYS"?
Or resolve the issue of dependencies?
Thank you.
this is not being easy.

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2020, 06:00:13 am »
Anybody out there that can help him set up a Windows build system?

Sorry but I use Linux and can only point to the documentation for Windows.  I think the Linux build system is the one most used and best maintained.

Maybe it would work to add a user that has a simple name with no spaces and build the source code there?

Fact: The firmware built on a Windows PC is the same as the firmware built on MacOS or Linux.

Fact: This simple source code change keeps compatibility with the unmodified version so the unmodified GCS will work with the modified firmware.  What this means is that you can download an installer like 16.09 or "next 782" and have someone else build you the firmware.

If you can tell me what install version you want to download and use, and what boards you have, I could make the simple change and post the firmwares here for you.

https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/4128780/Downloads
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/263913473/Next+Downloads

chartel

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2020, 12:38:32 pm »
Hello Cliff
Thank you so much for everything.
I use "Librepilot Next" and my board is "revolution"
I just want to have channel 14 for rssi.
i use windows 10.
thanks

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2020, 04:41:07 pm »
Which version of "next" installation program do you have?  For instance
LibrePilot-16.09+r782-g8c101ad_i686.exe

The firmware must match this.

chartel

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2020, 05:54:48 pm »
Yes that version.
LibrePilot-16.09+r782-g8c101ad_i686.exe

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2020, 06:24:42 pm »
No need to erase settings at all.

Install this by:
- download the attached file to some place where you can get to it (like Desktop)
- unplug Revo USB
- go to Firmware page and press Rescue
- plug in Revo USB
- press the new Open button and navigate to and select the downloaded firmware
- press the Flash button and wait for flash erasing and programming (does not erase settings)

Go back to original @f5soh post to find how to set it up.
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4643.msg31454#msg31454