Blauner

Problem with USB - Revolution
« on: November 15, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »
Hello everyone,
I have a problem with my 2019 MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.1, when I connect the flight controller -Revolution-, the LibrePilot program does not recognize the device.

Note:
these devices are displayed:
-tty.usbmodem14401
-cu.usbmodem14401

Has anyone experienced this problem?

MacBook Pro 2019
Mac OSX: Catalina 10.15.1
USB: USB-C
LibrePilot: 16.09

Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2019, 09:21:14 pm by Blauner »

Re: Problem with USB - Revolution
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2020, 02:36:20 pm »
Hello everyone,
I have a problem with my 2019 MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.1, when I connect the flight controller -Revolution-, the LibrePilot program does not recognize the device.

Note:
these devices are displayed:
-tty.usbmodem14401
-cu.usbmodem14401

Has anyone experienced this pcloud​
LibrePilot: 16.09 problem?

MacBook Pro 2019
Mac OSX: Catalina 10.15.1
USB: USB-C chat avenue

Thanks.

If you bought an RTF quad that has OP on it, then it is probably a good idea to download the matching version of OP, and install and run it.  That gets you in the air and flying so you can at least test it to make sure it works before diving into learning how to set it up from scratch like you would if you started over with LP.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 07:48:18 am by Kasey00 »

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2020, 05:31:52 pm »
Excellent advice!

Sorry, looks like this question slipped through the cracks till now.

karla

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:21:27 am »
I don't have a solution for this, rather I can add on to the problem.
I also have one 2019 MacBook Pro - Catalina 10.15.1 (and now .2) and also a win10 pc machine.

For one revolution and one revo nano board, the Mac (with r782) do not recognize them (not even doing a rescue).
These two boards were setup with the pc with r782 and works totally normal when connected to the pc.

Then I have 2 sparky2, one revolution and another revo nano that works totally fine with the mac but can not be recognized by the pc (r782).

I was thinking this was due to some next inconsistency so I have tried to start installing all boards from LP 16.09.
But the issue is already at 16.09. some boards will not be recognized by the pc and some will not be recognized by the mac. All boards I started with a dfumethod to flash the respective bootloader first (successfully) then connect for an Upgrade and erase. some boards cant be recognized. The bootloader flashing was all performed on the pc using.

I think this is so odd so I have not even bothered to ask about it. However, this might have same cause as @blauner problem...

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 06:40:56 am »
That is very odd.

Does the FC power LED come on when you plug in USB?  For one particular FC that works here but not there, what do the LED's look like when plugged in here or there?

For an FC that works well on the PC, but not on the Mac, have you tried taking the FC and that PC USB cable both to the Mac and trying all the Mac USB ports?

Have you tried a powered USB hub if you have one handy?

Certainly you have tried powering the Mac / PC off and back on...

karla

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2020, 03:00:46 am »
I don't have the mac here but when I get back I can make a little video demonstration.

karla

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2020, 06:19:10 am »
Still don't have the mac available due to the virus need to stay on, but....

Then I have 2 sparky2, one revolution and another revo nano that works totally fine with the mac but can not be recognized by the pc (r782).

Both the Nano and the Revolution boards were resurrected to the living by this wiki post
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/12812343/Troubleshooting
its about Windows 'Universal Serial Bus controllers'

But the two Sparky2 boards could not.

Still I have a feeling these boards are okay just need a better treatment to work with the pc.
I noticed that as connected them to the PC's usb port, the device manager add a new line called
'Universal Serial Bus devices'
 Sparky 2.0

... but no additional Bus Devices are added when connecting the Revo and Nano board to the PC.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2020, 07:52:29 am »
Sparky2 should come with a TauLabs bootloader on it, but who knows now days.  The 16.09 GCS has code in it that allows this foreign bootloader to work well enough to flash an LP bootloader, so all you should have to do is download the LP Sparky2 bootloader and use:

Install bootloader then firmware, using instructions here (heading "Bootloader + firmware update example" if it doesn't take you there automatically):
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Bootloader+firmwareupdateexample

karla

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2020, 02:04:22 am »
Yes, these two sparky boards came with some non LP boot loader.
It was not recognised at all by the pc or Mac. therefore I did a dfu method flash of LP boot loader for Sparky (I used the the little .bat file on the PC to do it).
After that, the board can only be recognised by the Mac and not the PC.
On the Mac I can upgrade and erase, however the PC still don't even recognise it.
A bit odd?

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2020, 06:16:59 am »
Some thoughts...

I think you said that you do have some Sparky2 boards that do work with the PC?

The fact that some boards work on PC and some don't,

and the ones that don't ... will work on MacOS is very strange.  Are you running the same LP GCS version number on Mac and on PC?

Sorry to ask, but this isn't something as straight forward as 16.09 firmware won't talk to next GCS?

Have you swapped USB cables around between Mac and Windows?

There was some special code in the 16.09 GCS to allow the TL bootloader to be recognized and you make me wonder if that code was removed from next and you are using next...

If you do have some Sparky2 boards that work with the PC, then for the ones that only work on MacOS, I would save my settings off to a file and re-install the LP bootloader and firmware as described above to see if that helps Windows.

I would also try powering the FC with a flight battery while trying Windows in case USB power / cable is not allowing enough power to come through.

karla

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2020, 05:11:49 am »
Thanks Cliff.

I think you said that you do have some Sparky2 boards that do work with the PC?
The fact that some boards work on PC and some don't,
and the ones that don't ... will work on MacOS is very strange. 
Are you running the same LP GCS version number on Mac and on PC?
Sorry to ask, but this isn't something as straight forward as 16.09 firmware won't talk to next GCS?
Have you swapped USB cables around between Mac and Windows?
None of my 3 sparky works with the pc, as I can recall.
Yes, UAVO Hash is the same.
No.
Yes.

There was some special code in the 16.09 GCS to allow the TL bootloader to be recognized and you make me wonder if that code was removed from next and you are using next...

If you do have some Sparky2 boards that work with the PC, then for the ones that only work on MacOS, I would save my settings off to a file and re-install the LP bootloader and firmware as described above to see if that helps Windows.

I would also try powering the FC with a flight battery while trying Windows in case USB power / cable is not allowing enough power to come through.
Power with 5v, give same result.

Seems you never had problems with any Sparky, but that's all on Linux?

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2020, 08:12:00 am »
Seems you never had problems with any Sparky, but that's all on Linux?
True true.

Below are some things you might try.

Have you tried the Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager driver stuff in the wiki?
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/12812343/Troubleshooting

This is all USB, not OpLink which can need increased baud/air rate?

Have you tried uninstalling LP / Windows Update / reinstalling LP?

Run LP as administrator?

Disconnecting internet connection then disable anti-virus anti-malware and try it then?

I suspect it is a Windows thing rather than a hardware thing.  I have never tried it, but if you have enough memory, you could boot a Linux live DVD and install a Linux version to prove that the hardware works.  It all stays in RAM, so the Windows hard drive is not touched.

karla

« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2020, 04:32:32 am »
Have you tried the Control Panel -> System -> Device Manager driver stuff in the wiki?
This is all USB, not OpLink which can need increased baud/air rate?
Run LP as administrator?
Disconnecting internet connection then disable anti-virus anti-malware and try it then?
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.
Yes.

Have you tried uninstalling LP / Windows Update / reinstalling LP?
No, everytime doing that, there are some boards that will work and other will not with different versions.
Most things run just fine now with all versions I have installed. Will keep it like this for a while.

I suspect it is a Windows thing rather than a hardware thing.  I have never tried it, but if you have enough memory, you could boot a Linux live DVD and install a Linux version to prove that the hardware works.  It all stays in RAM, so the Windows hard drive is not touched.
I also think its a windows thing. I actually have a partition on the PC with Ubuntu and LP 16.09 installed (same UAVO Hash).
Both Sparky boards works fine there  :)
Now trying to install next r782 on Linux.
Have some problems with VPN to reach and download all files needed...

A bit strange though that the Sparkies don't want to be recognised with any next version on the Mac, later than 16.09.
Maybe I will have to first uninstall 16.09 and then only install for example r782 on the Mac to make it work.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2020, 04:37:01 am by karla »

« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2020, 06:43:15 am »
I know that a long time ago there was an effort made to allow different versions to be installed at the same time, but I would look into that causing a problem...  Some LP version needs a certain set of versions of libraries it uses and a different LP version that was built in a different year may need other libraries?

So the question is whether any FC, running the same version number of firmware as the "bad" Sparky2s will connect where the "bad" Sparky2s fail (Mac).

Linux has a packaging system called Snaps that includes all the system libs.  I think there is a version for MacOS too.  If we used this, a user with an old system could install for instance a new GCS that uses say a new QT that the old OS doesn't normally support?

karla

« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2020, 09:57:56 am »
yes, seems logical.
will take that in to consideration.
thanks.