two servos gimbal problem
« on: July 11, 2019, 04:22:52 pm »
hello can anyone help me with this one
I ve used cc3d as a gimbal have connected two servo motors and was doing well. than i have put my small 60 grams camera on and after a while servos start going mad shaking up and down etc. and stoped working.
now if i connect my cc3d to computer looks like it   works ok ( only input is in red).  i have tested on osciloscope  it looks like there is no pwm signal and  all pins signal looks the same i am not so good with electronics yet. but do you think something was overloaded and than went wrong? all components looks ok.

Re: two servos gimbal problem
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 06:46:56 pm »
I assume the CC3D is not controlling any vehicle stabilization and that it only keeps itself level, and the camera that is attached where CC3D is attached.

Does it work when the camera is removed?  Did it ever work with camera removed?  These are big questions that gets past 90% of the questions.

There is more than one way to build and more than one way to set up (GCS configuration) what you describe.  Please describe how it is built (example: servos, CC3D, and camera are all mounted on a platform which tilts when the servos move), and the configurations you made using the GCS.  Please also attach your UAV settings file (File->ExportUAV...) to your next post.

Is this a standard setup where one servo pitches up and down and the other servo rolls left and right?

There may be two problems here.

1 - I suspect that the servos stopped working because the electrical servo power went way high when the servos started jumping around.  You need a more powerful electrical power source.  I would not expect that anything was actually damaged.  When did it stop shaking: when you changed a configuration?  Did anything get hot?  Was there any smoke smell?  Smoke is always something breaking.  Hot may or may not be something breaking.

2 - The servos may be jumping around because the PID (the stabilization) needs tuning.  The PID was default tuned to work with ESCs controlling quadcopter motors.  These respond much faster than servos do so the servos oscillate.  If this is the problem, the solution may be to reduce:
Configuration->Stabilization->(Basic->SettingsBank1)->Responsiveness->Rate

It is also possible that you have your left-right servo plugged in where the up-down servo should plug in.

Servos jumping back and forth is a different problem than servos going all the way over to one side.

You must start by having CC3D mounted (attached) with small CC3D arrow pointing forward (and servo connectors on right-hand side) or telling the configuration (using GCS) that it is mounted in your special way. Then correctly plugging left-right servo where it is supposed to go (etc.), then you need to reverse the servo on the Output page if servo goes all the way over to one side.

It helps to start with to have servo plugged in but leave servo mechanical linkage disconnected.  That way the servos will not go all the way to one side and you can see at least that your servos move when you tilt the CC3D.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 06:53:42 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2019, 06:31:01 am »
Hello thank you for your answer
I have done this setup

I paste YouTube link below there is a guy
Called painless360 on YouTube
He has explained how to do simple one servo cc3d pitch setup
I added one more servo so in my was similar but two servos gimbal

Cliff changed the link to youtube.com so it works on this forum

Now if I connect cc3d to CGS it looks like works fine gyro kompas move while I am moving cc3d.
What it looks like it's there is no PWM signal on an output pins
Servos don't move at all now.
Have reset cc3d and whole process all over again
Still no move
But still nothing
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 08:50:05 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 08:32:35 am »

1 - I suspect that the servos stopped working because the electrical servo power went way high when the servos started jumping around.  You need a more powerful electrical power source.  I would not expect that anything was actually damaged.  When did it stop shaking: when you changed a configuration?  Did anything get hot?  Was there any smoke smell?  Smoke is always something breaking.  Hot may or may not be something breaking.

I have used external power source nothing went hot and was no smell.
Thank you

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2019, 09:07:37 am »
Since it is not working, I would start with exactly what that video does.  Only one servo.  Exact same setup.

What is the maximum current (Amps) of your power supply?  Probably not the problem if CC3D is working and servos do nothing at all.

I have never seen a PWM output get broken just by plugging a servo in wrong.  Do you know how to use oscilloscope well enough to know that PWM is not working?  I may recall incorrectly, but with some setups (GCS configurations) I think you must arm the CC3D for PWM to start.  Maybe set "always armed" in Input -> Arming and TImeOut to 0.  Do exactly what youtube says with no more and no less and get that working first?

You could connect an earphone to PWM and ground.  Do not put it in your ear till after it is connected.  It may be fairly loud.  You should hear a buzzing sound to show that PWM is coming out of PWM connector.

What voltage did you set on the power supply?  Did you ever set more than 5 volts into the CC3D board?

If you have a very powerful (current/amps) power supply connected to CC3D and you short + and - on CC3D PWM connector, you can burn traces on CC3D.  Could also happen if very powerful power supply and very powerful servos are used.  What kind of servos are you using?  What is the stall current of the servo?

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2019, 12:33:32 pm »
Since it is not working, I would start with exactly what that video does.  Only one servo.  Exact same setup.

I have done as you said procedure once again

What is the maximum current (Amps) of your power supply?  Probably not the problem if CC3D is working and servos do nothing at all.

I have used 2s lipo battery pack 7.4v
Connected to 1 channel plus and ground

I have never seen a PWM output get broken just by plugging a servo in wrong.  Do you know how to use oscilloscope well enough to know that PWM is not working?

I would say my knowledge is basic I am newbie in this matter but the wave form I have seen on oscilloscope was nothing like square and voltage was also questionable.
I will try with earplugs
And maybe another oscilloscope but next week

I may recall incorrectly, but with some setups (GCS configurations) I think you must arm the CC3D for PWM to start.  Maybe set "always armed" in Input -> Arming and TImeOut to 0.  Do exactly what youtube says with no more and no less and get that working first?

I try this later

You could connect an earphone to PWM and ground.  Do not put it in your ear till after it is connected.  It may be fairly loud.  You should hear a buzzing sound to show that PWM is coming out of PWM connector.

And that I'll try later as well

What voltage did you set on the power supply?  Did you ever set more than 5 volts into the CC3D board?

One power source was from laptop USB port another from lipo 2s pack

If you have a very powerful (current/amps) power supply connected to CC3D and you short + and - on CC3D PWM connector, you can burn traces on CC3D.  Could also happen if very powerful power supply and very powerful servos are used.  What kind of servos are you using?  What is the stall current of the servo?

Smallest possible servos 1.5kg got it from AliExpress

I haven't shortened cables
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 12:38:04 pm by facenorbert »

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2019, 03:58:10 pm »
2S Lipo is too much voltage for some kinds of servos.  You should use a voltage regulator like BEC or ESC/BEC to reduce voltage to 5V.

Using USB 5V power works well, but does not have much current, but your small servos do not need much.  It is possible that your servos are burned out.  :(

Whatever voltage you put in the CC3D is exactly what you get out to power the servos.  It is a direct wire connection.

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2019, 06:43:46 pm »
2S Lipo is too much voltage for some kinds of servos.  You should use a voltage regulator like BEC or ESC/BEC to reduce voltage to 5V.

Using USB 5V power works well, but does not have much current, but your small servos do not need much.  It is possible that your servos are burned out.  :(

Whatever voltage you put in the CC3D is exactly what you get out to power the servos.  It is a direct wire connection.

It was working fine with this setup until I put weight on it [action camera] then start playing up.
It had happened two times on atom and standard cc3d board
So in the end I have lost two boards now

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2019, 09:26:39 pm »
For years I used a 5V BEC to power four 9 gram servos through a CC3D board.  There was even some servo oscillation while I tuned the PID.  Nothing ever went bad, but I never used 8.4V input power voltage, always about 5.2V.

It sounds like you think you have one good CC3D left.  I would measure good CC3D resistance (lowest ohms scale with all CC3D cables disconnected) from PWM ground pins to power input ground pins, and again from PWM V+ pins to power input V+ pins.  Both measurements should show a direct wire connection (about 0 ohms).  That is a good reading.  It will show you what a good board measures.  Now measure a "broken" CC3D the same way.  Did both boards measure 0 ohms?  If so, then the traces on the bad board are OK and NOT the problem.

Important:
Another thing to know is that the CC3D PWM signal pins need a 3.3V signal but are "5V tolerant".  If you have 8.4V power connected to CC3D and you plug in a servo, then if (50%-50% chance) the signal pin (outer pin on servo connector) and V+ pin (center pin on servo connector) make contact before the ground pin (the other outer pin on the servo connector), then you have effectively connected 8.4V directly to the 3.3V (5v tolerant) PWM signal pin (through the servo which is acting like a resistor at this point).

You can see that the other chance (also 50%-50%) is that the V+ and ground connect first so it is not like just connecting signal to V+ through a resistor (the servo).

If the CC3D is actually broken, but the V+ traces are OK from power input to servo connector and the ground traces are OK from power input to servo connector, then this is what may have damaged the PWM signal output.  :(

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 07:45:50 pm »
It's possible that only the 1 or 2 servo/PWM outputs where the servos were connected are damaged.

You might try powering the CC3D with 5V and configuring the CC3D to use a different servo/PWM output to see if the CC3D is usable that way.  :)

It's also possible that all servo/PWM outputs are damaged.  :(

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2019, 05:52:45 pm »
It's possible that only the 1 or 2 servo/PWM outputs where the servos were connected are damag

You might try powering the CC3D with 5V and configuring the CC3D to use a different servo/PWM output to see if the CC3D is usable that way.  :)

It's also possible that all servo/PWM outputs are damaged.  :(

I have tried what you suggested and I must say it WORKS🙂
It looks that I have something burned out but without smell.
I tried other outputs and works fine

it looks that electronics in servos has burned out as well because motors are working.. but servos don't.
So thank you once again for your time and Patience.
If I can do anything for you let me know pls.