hamilc

Is this LibrePilot software dead?
« on: May 07, 2019, 05:35:39 pm »
I have not seen any updates in a while.  Is this sw still being supported?
Should I continue to work with the revolution or is there a better option?

Re: Is this LibrePilot software dead?
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2019, 06:23:38 pm »
There has not been an official release since 16.09 but next continues to be updated and a next build is posted at intervals.

Where the posts are made (News):
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?board=11.0

The latest post with a link to next builds (from February):
https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=4580.0

hamilc

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2019, 08:26:02 pm »
So I guess I should keep using version 16.09 until a new official release yes?

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2019, 04:42:07 am »
Next is used by many regular users, not just devs.

Ideally, you would find out what new features next has and use it if you want the new features.

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2020, 05:05:03 am »
It's been a year since the next 782 was released.  Is there any indication for an upcoming next release?

Naga

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 05:18:35 am »
I was trying to open the Wiki and find I am unable to.

Similarly, none of the download links seem to be working for me.

librepilot.atlassian.net just hangs.

Is it still functioning or what?

Been a while since I used LibrePilot so a bit out of date.

Thanks

karla

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2020, 03:13:18 am »
All links for me...

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2020, 06:54:55 am »
It all (wiki, downloads) works for me.  I suggest that for normal stuff you start from the links you find at librepilot.org

A month or more ago I had problems accessing the wiki.  OK now.  May have been atlassian issues or firefox issues.

If you are trying something more development oriented, let us know what you want to do and maybe we can help.

Naga

« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2020, 05:32:45 pm »
Thanks for the input guys.

Still no luck for me, just what looks like a wiggley = sign.

However, I am using an iPad which may be the problem although I have tried a variety of different and up to date browsers and they are all the same. Next thing is to try on my PC.

Having been burned when the Wiki for Open Pilot went down and before the LibrePilot Wiki was set up, I think once I do get in I am going to put everything into a document that I can save and keep.

Just love the CC3D and really hope the project keeps going.

Naga

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2020, 06:47:45 pm »
Update: was able to access the Wiki from my PC.

Don't quite know what is going on as even clunky old Internet Explorer was able to access the site, but the most upto date browsers on my iPad will not. :(

I would be great if the Wiki were available as a downloadable PDF. I tried copying and pasting stuff into a Word doc but couldn't get any of the pictures in for some reason.

Thanks for all your help guys!

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2020, 12:35:50 pm »
Update: was able to access the Wiki from my PC.

Don't quite know what is going on as even clunky old Internet Explorer was able to access the site, but the most upto date browsers on my iPad will not. :(

I would be great if the Wiki were available as a downloadable PDF. I tried copying and pasting stuff into a Word doc but couldn't get any of the pictures in for some reason.

Thanks for all your help guys!

Hi,

Of course you can export to word or pdf.  If you click the three dots on top/right of every page, a menu pops up which allows to export.

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 08:25:58 pm »
It would be good to know if the development of LibrePilot has come to an end.
The latest project news showing any progress is dated Feb 2019 and if development has stopped it would be better for everybody to know that it is time to start thinking about moving to something else.

« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2020, 07:52:29 am »
It's a valid question.

My opinions follow.  I don't have all the information, so this should be taken as guesses.

I am one of the most active here right now.  I can tell you that I check in at the LibrePilot slack.com page about every day and even though most of the developers that I see there are in European time zones, I catch one or two logged in sometimes (once or twice a week) when I am there.  Truthfully, I don't see them posting much there.  I would say there are probably 4 or 5 devs that I see this way.

There have been about 4 new bugs / features entered in tracking so far in 2020 and a different 4 bugs / features have been coded in 2020 with a pull request generated.  There are about 15 total outstanding pull requests.  There have not been enough devs who felt expert enough or who had the time ... to generate the necessary number of confidence votes for these pull requests to be merged into next.  Thus the version of next that we have does not have this code in it.

The most recent version on the 'next' download page
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/263913473/Next+Downloads
is r782

The current version of next source code is r796, but the 14 change sets from r782 to r796 are probably not very important to the average user (as documented elsewhere where I recently documented the differences).

I personally have some projects that I want to work on, but haven't spent much time.  I suspect that several other devs are in a similar boat.  I would have guessed that Covid-19 would have caused more dev-hours to be spent on LibrePilot, but personally I don't see it, but then I don't peruse the private code branches to see who may be doing what.

I haven't discussed what I have been playing with because I don't want to get anyone's hopes up.  A couple useful things I have done this year are the CC3D save settings fix (firmware posted elsewhere) and an OpMap (GPS map) fix that allows you to replace map tiles where with the current code you can't replace tiles without starting over.  These are not even in next yet.  I would like to better understand and document heli setup.  I would like to code a new fixed wing path follower that is easier to understand, tune, and use; and that can fly more radical flight plans if the airplane is capable of radical flight.  Maybe AutoTune for fixed wing.  Certainly at least for heli.  In the more distant future, I would like to code computer vision as a GPS replacement and as obstacle / crash avoidance and auto-land.  This is years worth of stuff.

In the old days we had a test team, but for the last several years we have just made available 'next' versions because we didn't have anyone with the spare time, energy, and desire to whip up the users into a test team and to get the devs to finalize the work they wanted to include.

So after all that, I must say that it could go either way or anything in between.  The best would be a resurgence leading at least to more code and more next's.  The worst would be a quick loss of servers and not enough interest to move to new servers.

« Reply #13 on: October 09, 2020, 05:02:02 pm »
@TheOtherCliff: Thank you for taking the time to answer and for your engagement.

I am using LibrePilot on a Revo and I especially like the combined function which Oplink offers which eliminates the need for some other components. It has been OK otherwise as well why I have so far kept it.

But with no development and no adaptation to new hardware it will of course slowly die because of outdated hardware as well as software functions.

« Reply #14 on: October 10, 2020, 09:34:55 am »
But with no development and no adaptation to new hardware it will of course slowly die because of outdated hardware as well as software functions.

Saying "with no development" feels a bit misleading.  I've tracked and coded several fixes in the last year or so myself and I don't believe that I am the most prolific dev.

There is significant new F3 board support in next.  There is significant new functionality (albeit a year or more ago) in next.  Revo class boards still have room for more.  We probably don't require more expensive boards till we port to Linux or begin vision processing.

"It will of course slowly die."  Of course?