Invensense MPU-6000 now obsolete
« on: February 16, 2019, 06:32:30 pm »
Hardware hackers,
The Invensense MPU 6000 is now obsolete since TDK purchased the company.
It is functionally replaced by ICM-20689, but not pin-pin compatible. I did not check if it is software compatible. All current production boards designs in /flight/hardware/production are based on the MPU 6000. Is anybody updating hardware specifications, gerbers, board layout, schematics etc. to accommodate this?  If not the project will eventually die, since this is no hardware to run it on.
For now there are enough Chinese clones out there, but I am sure it will eventually stop.

Re: Invensense MPU-6000 now obsolete
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 11:09:22 pm »
I heard that the MPU6000 was End Of Life years ago and that is one reason the Nano does not use it.  Either Chinese chip cloners still make them or there are still barrels full in some warehouses, or both.

Revo is a good board and the supply is still very much there.  It will probably fade away some day when it is less useful.

« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 07:28:00 pm »
TheOtherCliff,

I looked it up, revolution nano board is not part of the formal /flight/hardware/production repo, but it has a description in the documentation section and uses MPU-9250. This is not recommended for new designs and also slated to be discontinued. Neither Digikey nor Mouser have any inventory. The point is the hardware solution within LibrePilot is not kept current and relies on OpenPilot board clones made by third party sources outside of LibrePilot's control.
It is unlikely these chips are cloned, they are MEMS designs, which is tricky business, but there could be a large inventory on the gray market.

« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 10:46:27 pm »
6000 went EOL before 9250.  That is why Nano and Sparky2 use 9250.  I mention this to show that 6000 went EOL a long time ago.  By the time CC3D, Revo, and Sparky2 become scarce, there will be other boards.  There are already F3 boards supported in next and a private branch that supports Omnibus F4 boards.