Why does the app need information about caller ID's?
« on: December 16, 2018, 02:52:06 pm »
Dear app developers/maintainers,

I really love the Librepilot project and I (mostly) have a fun time tuning my F450 drone and compiling the latest Next versions on OSX and Ubuntu.
So I would love to try the 2Go app.
But: why does the Android app need information about my phone number and the people I call?
(As stated by the Google PlayStore)

Best Regards,
Fred

Re: Why does the app need information about caller ID's?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 06:34:12 pm »
I don't use this as I only recently got a smart phone, but...

I don't know that I see "Caller ID" or "my phone number and the people I call" in the permissions list (that would usually be called Contacts)?

Here is what Google Play says about app permissions:
This app has access to:
    precise location (GPS and network-based)

Phone
    read phone status and identity

Photos/Media/Files
    read the contents of your USB storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Storage
    read the contents of your USB storage
    modify or delete the contents of your USB storage

Device ID & call information
    read phone status and identity

Other
    receive data from Internet
    view network connections
    pair with Bluetooth devices
    access Bluetooth settings
    full network access
    prevent device from sleeping
    read Google service configuration

I don't imagine that would be needed for basic functionality although I can imagine some advanced functionality.  I can imagine that the app needs to relinquish to the phone if a call comes in.  I would disallow things I was uncomfortable with during install or with settings after install.

Part of the problem is that this stuff is so course grained and ambiguous.  For "full network access" the end user can't tell the difference between browsing / checking for updates / posting my settings, and using all my monthly data to send spam to the world and infect the internet.

I am enough of a privacy nut that I would make sure that it can't access things I don't like even once, at first run after install; perhaps even downloading an APK and installing/configuring/first-run using "offline / airplane mode".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 06:42:14 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 06:31:46 pm »
Thank you OtherCliff for your reply,

If I try to install the app, Google Play tells me (if translate this the right way from Dutch):

"Librepilot2Go Beta
needs acces to

Bluetooth
Information about device-ID and calls:
With this the app can determine the phone number and device-ID and determine if a call is active and the other number that is being called"

So I guess you are right about that the app should know about an incoming call.
It makes good sense  :D

I will try if the app works in airplane mode. If it does, I guess it will be fine to turn on mobile networking again.
But then again, I wouldn't want to be disturbed by someone calling me when being in the air...

Long story short: I'm installing the app as we speak!

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2018, 03:02:37 am »
In GCS, most settings cannot be changed when the aircraft is armed and flying and I assume the same is true for LP2Go.  I am guessing that LP2Go is mainly used for making settings changes between flights, so it is more a matter of whether you should be bothered by your wife between flights?

To adjust permissions: In Android, you can go into Setup -> App Manager.  Select the LP2Go app.  Make a note of current permissions before changing anything.  Look at and adjust permissions.  Make sure that what you use works.  Try an incoming call and see what it does.

« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2018, 05:50:22 pm »
In GCS, most settings cannot be changed when the aircraft is armed and flying and I assume the same is true for LP2Go. 

That makes sense, yes.
I am guessing that LP2Go is mainly used for making settings changes between flights, so it is more a matter of whether you should be bothered by your wife between flights?

It would be nice if I could concentrate on important things ;D

To adjust permissions: In Android, you can go into Setup -> App Manager.  Select the LP2Go app.  Make a note of current permissions before changing anything.  Look at and adjust permissions.  Make sure that what you use works.  Try an incoming call and see what it does.

Thanks, I will try that in the coming days.