REVERSE MOTOR ROTATION.
« on: August 31, 2018, 07:54:52 pm »
I finished an i-flight ix5 215 last night.
MRM CC3D
Flycolor 2204 2300kv-14
Racerstar 35a 4in1 esc
Rcharlance vx30 vtx
Turbowing TW25 camera
5v bec
Flysky i6 with a fsa8s ibus receiver on the flexi port.

I set the motors to run in the reverse rotation. M1 CCW, M2 CW, M3 CCW, M4 CW.
In live testing all the motors run smooth at all throttle levels. When I arm and start to spool up, the quad rapidly oscillates in the yaw at the slightest throttle increase.

Is it possible to run the motors like this or do I have to run them in the "normal" direction? Or is there a setting that I am missing to compensate for rotation selection.

This particular ESC does not match the motor layout so I remapped the wires to match the motor to ESC location. When checked in LP they run in the right order.

I set up another quad at the same time, running the exact same hardware. the only thing that is different between the two are the frames and the motor spin direction. The one with normal rotating motors works perfectly, just like the dozen of my other builds, of all sizes.

Any knowledge on the subject would be a help to all.

Re: REVERSE MOTOR ROTATION.
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2018, 08:55:36 pm »
I just noticed that the motors will not change direction when I select reverse all motors in LP. Also the motors don't start until about half throttle when armed but start perfectly in LP when live testing.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2018, 09:36:20 pm »
I just noticed that the motors will not change direction when I select reverse all motors in LP.
This option cannot result in reversed motor direction, this simply take in account all the motors reversed to run stabilization correctly
Motor reversed or not depends on motor wiring, this mean swap two motor phases to change the motor direction from CW to CCW or CCW to CW.

Also the motors don't start until about half throttle when armed but start perfectly in LP when live testing.
This issue will be solved after running the transmitter wizard or just the Manual calibration in Input tab.
By default the Throttle input channel will be setup with a neutral around 4% of the total range like min 1000, neutral 1040 and max 2000 but matching your transmitter settings. If Throtle neutral is net at middle range, motors start while Throttle stick is above middle position.

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 12:02:40 am »
So the select box for reverse motors is just telling the FC that you have the motors reversed and does'nt actually change the direction?

I redid the radio calibration manually and the motors start spooling up just off the bottom stick position now.

The quad still has a rapid yaw action when adding an increase of throttle stick movement while powered up and armed but not when I throttle up with live test on LP. ??????

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2018, 12:16:29 am »
So the select box for reverse motors is just telling the FC that you have the motors reversed and does'nt actually change the direction?

Exactly, this allow the FC to work with all the motors reversed in case you did the wiring simply applying the rules "same prop (CW or CCW) in diagonal" with needed motor direction (to create Thrust of course) and unlikely you didn't match the default settings.
In all cases, the current physical wiring and spinning direction need to match the drawing in Vehicle tab.

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2018, 12:49:24 am »
Gotcha!

I have them wired to spin in reverse of the default diagram direction so I checked the reverse all motors box and the diagram changed to match my physical rotation direction. That's all good. I was just misunderstanding that it actually changed the direction.
i learned something today, with a little help.

Everything seems to be correct and the quad spools up smoother every time i arm and throttle up. Maybe the motors were/are a little rough after sitting for a couple of years they are new just sat for a while. I did another build back then with the same one's and had no issues at all.

Thanks F5,
I hope someone else learned from this short lesson.

« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2018, 04:49:08 pm »
Everything seems to be working fine on that quad that has the Reversed Motors now, except it wants to yaw left and I had to put in a ton of right trim.
Am I missing something here or is there another setting in the software I need to change?

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 04:00:35 am »
You could plug in USB and flight battery and turn on transmitter and:
- redo the transmitter calibration (Manual Calibration button on Input->RCInput page)
- or go to Input->RCInput page and make sure that the yaw control Neutral is correct.

FYI: FlySky 6 channel transmitter has a problem that can cause this.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?2145070-New-Flysky-FS-i6/page117#post38300831

============= Also ================

Quad must be motionless beginning a second or two after you plug the battery in and for perhaps 10 seconds afterward (as long as LEDs are doing very fast flash, watch them to understand this timing).  Gyro calibration / bias is being done.

Quad must also be motionless when arming (calibration / bias done again).

Holding it in your hand is not motionless enough.  It needs to be sitting on a firm surface.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:43:08 am by TheOtherCliff »