GPS recognition
« on: August 28, 2018, 12:08:16 pm »
Hi All,
I am new to all of this and have learnt a large amount from videos etc.
I have a ZMR250 clone with a Revo Mini and I am trying to setup a Neo 6M GPS.

I have several questions :-
Why doesn''t the GPS Selection window show up in the Vehicle Setup Wizard.
I have setup the Neo 6M using U-Center (as related in various videos etc) to the UBX standard at 19200Bd and all messages are showing in U-Center.
I have tried the GPS in both the Flexi and Main Ports with only the occasional showing of the GPS Black square with red cross displayed.

I cannot find descriptions of UAVObjectBrowser required GPS settings and I have tried lots of variations without success.
For example there are 4 different name groups shown under HWsettings:- CC,RV,RM and SPY2. I am presuming they stand for CC3D, REVO, REVO Mini and Sparky2. Please correct me if I am wrong as I can't find definitions of the terms used.

I have had all the motors etc working correctly and the Transmitter settings are all good.

Finally if there is anyone that lives near Emerald in Victoria it would be great to talk to someone who is experienced with building these fantastic devices.

Cheers
Glenn

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: GPS recognition
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 12:42:49 pm »
Hi,
Why doesn''t the GPS Selection window show up in the Vehicle Setup Wizard.
If you have a Revo, the GPS window is displayed just after the vehicle window, in all cases.
Revo mini and Revo uses the same firmware and Hw uavobjects (RM_*)
The Revo mini is simply a chinese clone with external Oplink 'air' and a flexiIO port with 8pins instead of 10pins.
When your board is connected, in both cases you should see "USB:Revolution" an bottom/right corner.

Using a Revo (or Revo mini) there is no need to configure the GPS using UCenter, the board does the configuration automatically and default configuration is fine.
Be sure the GPS can receive correctly sats, go outside.
Board need a external power source (5v) to power the GPS.

The CC3D (connected as "USB: Coptercontrol") is the only board needing a manual configuration for the GPS..

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2018, 03:19:14 am »
Hi f5soh,
Thanks for replying so quickly.
Yes, it is a Chinese clone and the screen displays Copter Control NOT Revolution.
Checking Firmware on Device shows Copter Control.
Connected Device Details: -
Device ID: 402
HW Revision: 2
BL Version: 3

and

Firmware Info
Firmware Tag: 16:09
Firmware Date: 2106-12-12 23;37
Git commit hash: 4952aa59
there is also a Yellow warning sign with ! showing that this is Untagged or Custom Firmware Build

The Flexi IO port and Main Port are both 4 pin connections.

Following the details it appears that the device I have is programmed as a Copter Control (standard) CC3d as it it shows up as that. Even though it looks like a Revo Mini as depicted in ads and videos.

I have had the ports operating the Bluetooth successfully.

My current thoughts are reflash the Firmware or just buy a proper full size Revo.

Can the Revo firmware be flashed considering the size of the ports are different?

Your thoughts are much appreciated.

Cheers Glenn

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2018, 03:50:44 am »
Can the Revo firmware be flashed considering the size of the ports are different?
No, Revo uses a F4 mcu and CC3D (coptercontrol) a F1 mcu.

With a CC3D, GPS can be only used for OSD usage (no navigation features) and manually configured using UCenter assuming the GPS can store his configuration.
CC3D will be configured like described here.

« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2018, 05:12:49 am »
Since I have now ascertained that I have a standard CC3D I have ordered the correct Devo Mini. and shall wait impatiently for it's arrival.
I have previously gone through all the setups of the GPS as shown for the CC3D. The furthest I have got is to get the black Box with Red Cross showing for the GPS.
I shall play further now that I know what I have.

When I started this some months ago I knew very little so bought the wrong device. The Chinese description on Ebay was misleading as it stated it was a Mini Devo. Never mind it is all part of the learning curve.

Originally I started by building the MultiWii FC using an Arduino Nano but shelved it after not being able to use the components I sourced. I also considered that a 32bit was far better than the 8bit processor.
If this never flys I really don't mind as it was the learning that I was more interested in. After all it is just a hobby!

Thanks again for your input.

Cheers
Glenn