sim_tcr

Components
cc3d atom board.
Flysky FS-i4x tx and FS-A6 rx (it supports only PWM)
Racerstar 30A lite blheli ESCs
Racerstar 2205 2300kv motors
Tattu 3300mah 3s 35C lipo

Steps Completed
Plugged in and opened LibrePilot-16.09.
Board got connected. Went to firmware tab and completed firmware upgrade.
When I move the board, accelerometer, gyro, compass moving on screen.
Went to vehicle setup wizard, with erase all setting selected, upgraded the board.
Board got identified as full size cc3d board as on screen picture.
Input signal configuration - selected PWM (default).
Vehicle type selection - selected Multirotor
Multi Rotor Configuration - selected Quadcopter x
Output Signal Configuration - Rapid ESC was selected default.
Wired the ESC and Rx as per below diagram.
Sensor Calibration Procedure - completed fine
ESC Calibration Procedure - complete as per steps.
Output Calibration - Verified that motors were spinning correct direction. (while doing i move the slider all the way to the right so motor spun in full speed then i clicked stop button, is that wrong?)
Initial Tuning selected - ZMR250
Configuration Ready to Save - saved
Went to Transmitter Setup Wizard,
Transmitter Type - selected Acro.
Transmitter mode - mode2
Completed the sticks configuration as per instruction
Arming settings - Yaw right.
Finally Clicked save
System health all green.
Disconnected from system
installed props (made sure that props were installed on correct direction)
Turned on tx, installed battery, armed by holding yaw to right)
Gave very slight throttle boom....it just flipped over rapidly. See video,

« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 09:41:33 am by sim_tcr »

I'd go through the transmitter setup wizard again.  It can be a bit slow in recognizing each input, so there's a chance that 2 channels have been picked up as one.

The other thing it could be is your sensor setup.  Try re-calibrating accelerometor and Gyro on a flat surface and try again. Ensure that the quad is acting correctly in the flight data tab and change the board rotation values if it needs correcting.

Obvious things to check also:
Solder joints on ESC's
Motors spin freely by hand

sim_tcr

I'd go through the transmitter setup wizard again.  It can be a bit slow in recognizing each input, so there's a chance that 2 channels have been picked up as one.

The other thing it could be is your sensor setup.  Try re-calibrating accelerometor and Gyro on a flat surface and try again. Ensure that the quad is acting correctly in the flight data tab and change the board rotation values if it needs correcting.

Obvious things to check also:
Solder joints on ESC's
Motors spin freely by hand
At Output Calibration step, when I moved the slider from left to right motors were spinning clean and nice.

At that step, I moved the slider all the way to the right so motor spun in full speed then I clicked stop button, is that wrong? Could that set full speed as the neutral position for the motor?
So when I give slight throttle, cc3d goes to full speed?

If you didn't click Save on the Output page, it didn't save the "possibly bad settings".  On output page, Min/Neutral/Max should be 1000/1080/1900 (all 4 motors) for most standard ESCs (using PWM@490 or PWMSync protocol).  Go there and check this.

"Instant Flip" is a common issue with newbies.  :)

The board thinks that the quad is mounted on it in the correct orientation and if it isn't, then when it sees that it is a little tilted left, it tries to make the left motors spin faster.  If it is mounted wrong and that actually tells the right motors to spin faster, then it tilts left even more.  Repeat.  This happens in milliseconds so what a human sees is Flip-crash.

There is also a piece of code that says "If the user only has 3% (whatever) power and stabilization says it needs say 100% differential thrust (one motor at zero and another at 100) that it will boost the effective throttle to 50% so it can do this.  That causes a lot more power than you expect.  But badly calibrated ESCs can do this too.

Make sure that your board is mounted with the arrows pointing forward or search "rotate virtual" on the wiki.  Make sure the ESCs are plugged into the correct places in the board.  Make sure the motors are spinning in the correct direction and THEN that the correct prop type is on each motor.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 03:40:12 pm by TheOtherCliff »

sim_tcr

I was able to figure out the issue.
I was able to fix the flip issue. It was the "Output Calibration" step that I messed up. Once I re did the min throttle correctly, the instant rapid flip issue is gone.

Yet to explore flight modes and fail safe.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2018, 06:11:23 am by sim_tcr »

Good Job!

I'd explore your failsafe first before looking at other flight modes.  You want to ensure the safety of you and others if something goes wrong.

sim_tcr

Good Job!

I'd explore your failsafe first before looking at other flight modes.  You want to ensure the safety of you and others if something goes wrong.
I briefly looked at failsafe today. Infact if I understand right, failsafe is tied with positions.
Since I have only a 4 channel radio (fs-i6 is on the way) I dont know really I can have fail safe setup.
Is fail safe really means, incase of loss of signal, motors to just die?
Or is there a way on cc3d to set a reduced speed on motor incase of loss of signal?

My new rx is fs-ia6b and it support pwm, ppm and ibus.
Can I use ibus with cc3d?

You can still set a failsafe i beleive with a 4 channel.  You can set the throttle value in LP so that you can make the drone reduce altitude rather than just cut all power.  As you don't have a flight mode switch, you can tell LP to have 2 or 3 flight positions (when in reality you are only able to use one currently) and set the flight mode settings. Then set your failsafe to that position number. So for instance, you set your failsafe flight parameters you want to use to Mode3, then in the failsafe tab, set the failsafe to Mode3. Does that make sense?

In reality, it will be much better to have the new radio you have arriving, as it will give you Actual flight modes to select from your transmitter.  This allows you to set your failsafe flightmode to position 3 for example, this way, you can test this failsafe in flight by switching to pos3 and watch how it behaves. If it goes out of control on failsafe, you can quickly switch back to pos1 or 2 to regain control before something drastic happens like a crash.

sim_tcr

You can set the throttle value in LP so that you can make the drone reduce altitude rather than just cut all power.
Is it in Fail safe settings tab I set the throttle value?

So for instance, you set your failsafe flight parameters you want to use to Mode3, then in the failsafe tab, set the failsafe to Mode3.
In LP when I connect the cc3d, under "Flight Mode Switch Settings" I only have Pos 1 as editable.
But I can still set values for Stabilized 1 to 6. And though not editable, Pos 2 set on Stabilized 2, Pos 3 set on Stabilized 3 etc etc.
And in failsafe tab I can set to any of that positions.
Lets Assume I want to use Pos 3 as failsafe mode, and Pos 3 is mapped to Stabilized 3. So what parameters I set on Stabilized 3 to make the quad reduce speed and altitude.

I beleive so. Failsafe settings are explained here: https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/2818084/Input+Configuration#InputConfiguration-FailsafeSettings

For additional flight modes, increase the flight mode count on the right hand side of the Flight Mode Switch Settings Tab

sim_tcr

In Flight Mode Switch Settings,
Stabilization 3 set as - Attitude Attitude AxisLock and CruiseControl

In Failsafe Settings,
Enabled failsafe tick mark, and selected mode to Position 3(which is Stabilization 3 by default)
Reduced Throttle value to 20%.

saved everything.

Tested by turning off the radio, motors does not reduce speed. it just continue to run at the same speed where Tx left off.
Tried again by setting Throttle value -50% still same thing.

I guess Rx need to have failsafe option available for this to work, Because I believe Rx need to tell cc3d that, I lost signal. Then only cc3d can do remaining tasks. Right?
My Rx is FlySky FS-A6, which is a very uncommon one and no info available about it.

I will wait for my new Tx/Rx to come and test on it.

FC failsafe:  Receiver must do something so that FC knows to go into failsafe.  Some receivers can be configured to stop sending pulses.

RC failsafe:  The other option is to have the RC system go to some failsafe channel positions.  Flight mode switch goes to a good flight mode and throttle goes to a good throttle position.

Beware that running the motor at all can cause problems.  What if there is a person, animal, or something expensive under the quad with the motor still running but it coming down?  What if the motors get caught in grass after landing and burn up?  What if you set it just a little below hover with a low battery and that is enough to actually climb with a fresh battery?

I think we should have a non-GPS landing mode and another non-GPS non-baro landing mode, but that doesn't help you right now.

sim_tcr

I recieved the fs-i6 and fs-ia6b today
In the Tx menu Aux channel 5 is assigned to SwA (2 pos switch) and Aux channel 6 is assigned to SwC (3 position switch)
In Tx Display, I can see the movement of SwA and SwC.
Went through the Vehicle Setup Wizard, and 6th channel (3 position switch) is not being recognized.
Went through again and again no change. If I swap 3 pos switch and 2 pos switch then 3 pos will be recognized and 2 pos wont.
Something like, only 5 channles are being recognized. Any thoughts?

FMS (flight mode switch) gets position from only one channel.   It sounds like you expect to be able to use two channels for the FMS function.  If that is to be done, it must be done inside the transmitter with mixing, where you mix both switches onto a single channel.

sim_tcr

FMS (flight mode switch) gets position from only one channel.   It sounds like you expect to be able to use two channels for the FMS function.  If that is to be done, it must be done inside the transmitter with mixing, where you mix both switches onto a single channel.
No. I expect FMS to do only flight mode function, 3 flight modes through 3 position switch which is SWC.
Then I would like use SWA as Accessory 0 to Arm and Disarm the quad.
Is that doable?
« Last Edit: August 10, 2018, 09:43:07 pm by sim_tcr »