https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/07/14/1837215/google-maps-api-becomes-more-difficult-and-expensive

We certainly need to keep our ripped maps up to date.

I wonder how much it would cost to fund the LP ecosystem.

karla

Re: New Google Maps API and tighter restrictions on free usage?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2018, 08:09:37 am »
I wonder how much it would cost to fund the LP ecosystem.

That was interesting.
I think the LP GCS is collecting information about usage, at lease from those who opted in and accepted data to be send. I got that question when I installed the GCS, but I don't know who gets it or what is done with the info. Maybe some admin at LP can check.
But LP can use Bing map already today as a free of charge alternative.

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2018, 08:38:04 am »
True, but I have used the others and GoogleMaps has much higher resolution at my flying sites.  I skimmed and recall the figure $200 per year.  I bet we could get funding for that if it would be the easiest code change, allow us to keep using hi-res maps, and assuming we are a small enough community to fit a plan this inexpensive.

I think I recall that TauLabs / dRonin has some similar purchased key.

karla

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2018, 01:53:32 pm »
Just curious, Who you think would fund that fee, except for the LP community?

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2018, 05:26:03 pm »
There are already several people who donate things like web site hardware, internet access, and DNS service costs, but I think the people who consistently donate time in the dev shop behind the scenes deserve the most credit.

karla

« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2018, 08:31:36 am »
Yes I see, donations of members. Sure I am also open to donate things for LP. I was just thinking you might be referring to some external source.