utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Debug Naza GPS
« on: March 10, 2018, 10:19:19 pm »
Hi folks,

I am using a Naza GPS for my Eachine Racer so far it works fine, but today my Revolution board said, it cant detect the GPS. LED is solid red, GPS protocol is DJI.  it seems there is no data on the wires. Is there a software similar to ucenter for ublox GPS which allows me to monitor the GPS a bit closer?

Thank you in advance
Udo

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Debug Naza GPS
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 10:51:34 pm »
Using a terminal console (like Easyterm) and configure the board as a ComBridge (or use a USBSerial) you will be able to see if you receive data from GPS.

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2018, 10:56:38 am »
Solid red is OK.  It means the wire connection is OK, but you do not have satellite fix yet.  It often won't work indoors.

Red X is bad.  It means that you probably have a wiring problem or forgot that you must connect flight battery to power the GPS.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:46:31 pm by TheOtherCliff »

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Debug Naza GPS
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2018, 08:35:12 am »
Update:

After my replacement GPS arrived and refused to work too(sic), i took a closer look at the racer. Finally it seems, that the voltage regulator on the eachine racer got damaged.  It feeds the revolution flight controller with a voltage of 7.5 volts, that’s too much for a naza gps but a ublox 8 gps which I’ve used to test the flexi port works with the higher voltage.

At the developers, can the board voltage shown in GCS?

Happy Easter everyone
Udo
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 08:40:06 am by utoedter »

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2018, 05:26:38 pm »
Sorry about your GPSs.  I suppose they are burned and don't work.  Maybe just the 3.3V regulator in them, but a pain to buy and replace the regulator.  :(

By default, the ~5V input voltage is not connected to anything that can measure it so any proposed change to the GCS would have to take into account that for a default.  The user could connect the standard way that the battery voltage is measured through the "sonar port", and view it as if it were the battery voltage, but I doubt that is useful enough for you to bother with, and I would not bother setting it up for my stuff.  ;)

Some people even choose to use 6V to make their servos faster, etc.  Many RC receivers can handle 10V or so by design.  The original CC3D design was up to 15V IIRC, so running it on 7.5V is not breaking CC3D specification...  Sorry.

utoedter

• Frickeln und mehr
Re: Debug Naza GPS (SOLVED)
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 09:13:15 pm »
Sorry about your GPSs.  I suppose they are burned and don't work.  Maybe just the 3.3V regulator in them, but a pain to buy and replace the regulator.  :(

By default, the ~5V input voltage is not connected to anything that can measure it so any proposed change to the GCS would have to take into account that for a default.  The user could connect the standard way that the battery voltage is measured through the "sonar port", and view it as if it were the battery voltage, but I doubt that is useful enough for you to bother with, and I would not bother setting it up for my stuff.  ;)

Some people even choose to use 6V to make their servos faster, etc.  Many RC receivers can handle 10V or so by design.  The original CC3D design was up to 15V IIRC, so running it on 7.5V is not breaking CC3D specification...  Sorry.

No Cliff, fortunally it didnt hit me in such a annoying  way. The naza gps just refused to work (on a putty which is directly attached) you can see data stream which goes over the serial line, but proably it talks nonsense and the revo isnt able to understand. When then input voltage goes back to normal, the naza gps again works fine. Now i own two working naza gps (a reason to build a bigger copter) , and after changing the racer board to my old one (electrically fine, but one socket was mechanically broken, but hot glue keeps the plug inside), everything turns back to normal.

Because the naza didnt work, but a ublox did,  i assumed the gps was broken, at that time i didnt suspected the input voltage. But after the second naza showed the same problem it was clear that the problem must be somewere else. And that guide me to check the board voltage.

But interesting is the flashing pattern:

Voltage too high:  solid red for about 20 seconds, then rapid red blinking.
Voltage normal:    slow red blinking, with additional blue flashes as it finds satellites.

Udo