make package failed unfer Ubuntu14.04LTS
« on: March 17, 2018, 06:47:01 am »
Hello everyone,

I am a newbee of Ubuntu and recently trying to build and package librepilot project under Ubuntu14.04LTS(running on VMWare).
I followed steps described in Linux-Building and Packaging(https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/57671696/Linux+-+Building+and+Packaging), and everthing went through quite well until the last command "make package", there are many warning occurs, just like:
"
Code: [Select]
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: can't extract name and version from library name 'libCore.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: can't extract name and version from library name 'libUAVTalk.so'
dpkg-shlibdeps: warning: can't extract name and version from library name 'libUAVObjects.so'
" and so on.

So here are some questions:
1. What do the warning messages mean and how to solve that? If I missed any simportant steps should be done but not mentioned in that webpage?
2. What does "make package" mean? Is it going to generate executable file for librepilot board? If Yes, where can I get the output file finally?

Detailed log is attached under.

Any help is appreciated!!

Best Regards

filnet

Re: make package failed unfer Ubuntu14.04LTS
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2018, 03:09:01 pm »
I guess you can ignore the warnings.

Problem is here :

dpkg-shlibdeps: error: couldn't find library libicuuc.so.56 needed by debian/librepilot/usr/lib/librepilot-gcs/qt5/lib/libicui18n.so.56 (ELF format: 'elf64-x86-64'; RPATH: '/usr/lib/librepilot-gcs/qt5/lib/lib')
dpkg-shlibdeps: error: couldn't find library libicudata.so.56 needed by debian/librepilot/usr/lib/librepilot-gcs/qt5/lib/libicui18n.so.56 (ELF format: 'elf64-x86-64'; RPATH: '/usr/lib/librepilot-gcs/qt5/lib/lib')

Not sure how to fix those but you are missing something..

'make package' will create an installable package that you can then use to install LibrePilot GCS.

LibrePilot GCS (Ground Control Station) is a desktop application.
LibrePilot GCS comes with LibrePilot flight controller firmwares that you can flash on a compatible flight controller.

Note that you don't have to make the packages and install it.
Since you built the application, you can run it from your build environment. Look in the build directory, the application is in there.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2018, 05:12:03 pm »
I thought I was the last one to give up Ubuntu 14 a couple years ago.  :)  If you are avoiding upgrade because you don't like the new Ubuntu, try Linux Mint (Mate version).  That is what Mint is famous for.

I don't remember this package, but I do remember that I even that long ago had to build something from source to make it available for the LP build since the LP build no longer really supported that old of an Ubuntu.  I assume the list of mountains to climb is even bigger now.

There seem to be some info from Googling:
    what package provides libicuuc ubuntu

or just:
    libicuuc ubuntu
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 05:22:30 pm by TheOtherCliff »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2018, 06:03:28 pm »
@Cliff Ubuntu 14.04 still fully supported since is still supported by Ubuntu (LTS)
See repo, where trusty package are available, using Next branch.

@maple_leaf You try to package a deb archive where GCS is compiled using qt5.9 installed in tools directory.
This cannot be done (generate deb package with local qt5.9) but allow only starting gcs from sources, as already reported by filnet.
If for some reason you want to build your own package (.deb file) for trusty you may use the qt5.6 installed from ppa:librepilot/tools repository.

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 06:34:04 pm »
I can tell you that it did not work on the order of a couple years ago on the old LTS? but still supported Ubuntu I was running at that time.  I had to build some libraries locally IIRC, maybe even QT to get it to work.  I also recall fiddling the dependencies of some packages with videbcontrol to get new them to install.  When I brought this up, the response was that new library versions and features were being used in the GCS.  My point at the time was that we should build on the oldest supported operating systems (Linux in particular) and not assume that everyone upgrades as soon as a new one comes out.  Perhaps you remember these discussions...
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 10:49:04 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 07:00:47 pm »
@filnet Thanks for your explanation about make package and telling it is unnecessary.

@f5soh I am just using Next branch and upgrading to 16.04LTS...

@Cliff I don't even remember why I install this old Ubuntu...But it seems that 14.04LTS is really too old? Whatever, I am upgrading.

Thank you guys helping me out of the question~ :D :D

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2018, 07:14:17 pm »
I can tell you that it did not work on the order of a couple years ago on the old but still supported Ubuntu LTS I was running at that time.
But i can tell you 14.04 still supported, and automatic build working in ppa repo :)

My point at the time was that we should build on the oldest supported operating systems (Linux in particular) and not assume that everyone upgrades as soon as a new one comes out.  Perhaps you remember these discussions...
This is actually what be do, and AppImage is based on Ubuntu 14.04 LTS also.

@maple_leaf  Out of curiosity, why you need to build your own deb package ?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 07:18:45 pm by f5soh »

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2018, 07:45:29 pm »
Good!  It sounds like backward compatibility is higher up on the list.  :)

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2018, 07:55:48 pm »
@f5soh No... I just followed what are described herehttps://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/6324262/Linux+-+Building+and+Packaging+old, without understanding that the command "make package" means building a GCS deb package... I have no need to build my own package. :)

I upgrade to 16.04 purely thinking 14.04 too old.

Do you have any advice about this? :)

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2018, 08:04:11 pm »
There will soon be a new Ubuntu LTS.  You may play with betas?

I liked the way Ubuntu 14.x worked, but Ubuntu changed it to make it work more like a smart phone and more like Windows 8/10 so I found that Mint LTS (Mate version) is Ubuntu compatible and feels like old Ubuntu 14.x

Mint releases are based on Ubuntu releases, so expect Mint to have a new LTS some time (months?) after new Ubuntu LTS.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2018, 08:24:46 pm by TheOtherCliff »

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2018, 09:05:27 pm »
I have no need to build my own package. :)
So you just need to setup the LP repo according to the version you want:
Release, currently 16.09:
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:librepilot/releaseor for next branch :
sudo add-apt-repository ppa:librepilot/nextand
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install librepilot

There will soon be a new Ubuntu LTS.  You may play with betas?
Yes, we already do that with Artful (17.10) in next repo, supporting all active Ubuntu versions.

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2018, 05:16:59 pm »
My Ubuntu14.04 failed to upgrade to 16.04 today ::). So this old version will be my working environment for a long time. :P

This reply is not asking for help but leaving a note here. :P