karla

Next r782 + Revo + MinimOSD + Oplink - RSSI 100% ?
« on: January 17, 2020, 05:11:18 am »
Everything works fine with the OSD, except the RSSI always show 100%
I was expecting/hoping to see data from OPLinkStatus.RSSI(dBm) but it seems to show OPLinkStatus.LinkQuality()?
Using the LP_All_From_Revo170818.hex code.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2020, 05:17:01 am by karla »

jdl

Re: Next r782 + Revo + MinimOSD + Oplink - RSSI 100% ?
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 04:28:02 pm »
Everything works fine with the OSD, except the RSSI always show 100%
I was expecting/hoping to see data from OPLinkStatus.RSSI(dBm) but it seems to show OPLinkStatus.LinkQuality()?
Using the LP_All_From_Revo170818.hex code.

Hello Karl

I haven't used or looked at the original MinOPOSD code for long ago. A link to its source code is available on
LibrePilot Documentation / User Manual / Howto / MinOPOSD setup page to research, modify and recompile it by yourself, if you like: https://bitbucket.org/f5soh/minoposd/src/master/

When I downloaded the source code to try to tailor it to my preferences (2016 if I recall correctly), it had to be compiled using older Adruino 1.0.5-r2, also some libraries like FastSerial were required. Don't know if code was updated to newer Adruino IDE meanwhile. I did't mind using 1.0.5, despite its imperfections, so I stayed with it.

I'm pasting here the reply to your message. Seems that Personal Messages do not allow attaching files.
-------------------------

My configurations are the same: Revolution, Oplink and MinimOSD board. However I've modified the original MinOpOSD code to my taste :)

As Atmega328p program space is quite limited, I chose to make the code configurable (conditional defines) for different targets I have (CC3D or Revo /  Multirotor or Plane) to include or not specific functionalities. I've also cut a lot of stuff I felt useless to free space and add more important features.

I wish to have enough time to make the code cleaner and easier to configure, make some documentation and make a dedicated OSD_Config tool for it, before I share it with the Librepilot community. I'm afraid, however, this may not happen soon...

If you would like to test, I'm uploading here a hex file (MinimOSD_JDL_Wing_NoTempMonitoring.hex) for the MinimOSD, almost the same as the one in my Mini Talon. I've only disabled the code for temperatures display and respective overheating warnings, as you don't have these sensors in your build. The code uses current and voltage sensors connected to Revo and some of its features rely on data coming from them, if you don't use current and voltage monitoring, you can probably just disable related fields in OSD Panels...

After flashing the hex file in the MinimOSD, you should also upload (using OSD_Config.exe) the charset file (Charset_1_3_0 - jdl v.15b.mcm) and OSD Panel settings file (OSD_Settings_Wing_NoTemperature.osd). Of couse you can later reorder the panels layout to your taste, just keep in mind some fields have changed length that the OSD_Config does not display right and some other fields show completely different things (example: WP Distance displays LongTermSafetyRaduis & EfficiencyEstimation/GlideDistance instead).

TX sticks setup (OSD Toggle Channel to Panel3 while disarmed) in the OSD allows to set the battery capacity in mAh and low voltage warning threshold (single LiPo cell).

Hardcoded settings:
1. OSD Toggle Channel is Ch7!
2. Stall speed (airspeed) warning threshold is set to 40km/h (good for my MT, I guess will be good for Rebel Talon too).
3. GPS LAT, LON values are displayed in xx.xxxxxx format, no letters, no negative numbers. Can be changed, of course, but needs to recompile the code.
4. All values are in metric system: m, km, m/s, km, h, WattHours/km, etc.
5. Combined compass heading and rose.

I run Next r735 based firmware and the MinimOSD code has UAVObject IDs for r735 but I recall there are no changes in r782 that will affect it.

Legend:

Fly time: Time passed in armed state AFTER the first throttle burst (takeoff). Gliding without throttle counts!

Est time: Estimated remaining time, based on battery capacity, used mAh and travelled distance and time-in-flight (since takeoff). Does not count gliding without throttle.

LTSR (LongTermSafetyRadius): Estimates how further (from the takeoff point) the plane can go before it has to turn back and return with the remaining battery power. Uses battery capacity, used energy (mAh), travelled distance. Calculation is made with 20% battery capacity in reserve.

Eff (Efficiency Estimation): Efficiency of motor flight (in WattHour/km). When throtte is off displays estimated gliding distance until touching the ground.

Alt: Absolute altitude (GPS based).

HA: Altitude, relative to takeoff point (GPS based).

BA: Altitude, relative to takeoff point (Baro based).

MOD/ASWA: Displays flight mode (ST1, ST2, MAN, RTB, PH, AC, etc.). MOD label is replaced with ASWA label, if ASWA is enabled and activated.

LOS: Distance to home point line-of-sight.

Vgnd: Ground projected speed (GPS speed).

V3d: Speed in the direction (3d space) of flight (calculated from GPS speed and baro climb/descend speed).

Vair: Air speed (pitot tube).

Vertical speed (m/min): Baro based, different symbols for climbing and descending.

CA: Measured current draw (A).

[%A]: Remaining battery capacity (based on initial battery capacity (when full) and comsumed energy).

[%V]: Remaining battery capacity (based on battery voltage).

RSSI: Values for RSSI (dB) and LinkQuality on the Revo FC side are displayed.

Others:

Disarmed and not Ready to Arm, Disarmed but Ready to Arm, Arming... indications.

Reset OSD Home Location by moving Radio Control (Mode2) right stick (Roll/Evelator) to upper right.

Warning for low battery
Warning for GoHomeNow! (LTSR < 0)
Warning for below stall speed threshold
Warning for low RSSI, low LQ (Link Quality). Hardcoded thresholds are RSSI < -84 / LQ < 105.

Warnings switch immediately to OSD Panel 1 and flash there (like in original MinOpOsd). Unlike it, if warning condition persists for more than approx. 3 seconds, OSD switches back to the panel that was active before alarm and the warning text flashes there.

These are maybe other things I don't remember right now.

Would appreciate to get your comments if this MinimOSD firmware works for you.

---------------------
P.S. I realized I cannot attach files to the message. I'll post the same in the forum and I'll upload files there.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 03:43:26 pm by jdl »

karla

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2020, 04:21:00 am »
Wow!
Thanks a lot.
I flashed your hex file, uploaded your char file and loaded your layout settings osd file. Then rearranged and disabled lots of fields all to my personal taste.
All went fine!
But just when trying to test it then my VTX died this morning.
Will try to free up another one.

karla

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2020, 05:20:47 am »
Yes, It works!
Now got the OPLinkStatus.RSSI(dBm) in goggles and Channel 7 works fine to change osd panels.
There are lots of other useful things here to explore  :D
Thanks a lot @jdl
« Last Edit: January 19, 2020, 11:28:24 am by karla »

jdl

« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2020, 12:39:05 pm »
Glad it works for you!  :)
If you find issues or undesired OSD behavior, please report!

Adding temperature monitoring sensors (LM335) is easy. I'll explain how to do and upload the hex file, if anyone has interest in it.

As I've said, I plan to refine and release the code along with proper documentation, however this requires time to dedicate that I unfortunately don't have right now.

karla

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2020, 08:33:59 am »
Please consider to start a new thread for this new release of yours
- it definitely deserves it :)

Temperature sensor/compensation is said to be already included in some of these digital airspeed sensor boards but very unclear how...

Sure, will report good and bad and most often just simple questions  :D
So useful though.

adding a 5 min video from my first fpv flight with it this morning.
need to figure our what some of these numbers actually report but its great to have the crucial RSSI reported.

K

jdl

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2020, 04:40:18 pm »
You may consider to get rid of some of the fields currently set in your OSD panel:

1. Value in LOS is almost the same as Distance_To_Home (next to big thick arrow pointing home).

2. Ha (or Ba) (height above home point)- on the left, and Alt (absolute GPS altitude) - on the right - do you need then both the same time?

3. Vgnd and V3d. Again, they are most of time close to each other. Vgnd is GPS speed (ground projected). V3d is the speed in the direction of flight in 3d space. It can noticeably bigger than ground speed when diving, for example. I personally prefer to leave only V3d in my OSD.

I see you have discarded field for Airspeed (Vair)? It displays data from Pitot tube sensor!

The non-stop GO HOME NOW! alarm from the very beginning of flight makes me think you hadn't setup the battery capacity in the OSD Setup menu, I'm I right? To enter setup menu, toggle the switch for channel 7 to Panel3 position while disarmed.

Is your voltage sensor well calibrated? Or you've just launched with not fully charged battery?

Current consumption seems too high to me while disarmed! Is the current sensor calibrated?

OSD flickers and I see some noise in the video feed under higher throttle, if you don't have low esr caps connected to the power lines of the ESC, adding some can help with these issues. Also, placing a 1000uF/6.3V capacitor just on MinimOSD power pads helps with disappearing OSD text.

The temperature sensors (LM335z) I've mentioned are intended to monitor the temperatures of ESC and motor and warn when going to overheat. Their data is only processed in MinimOSD, not passed to Revo FC.

karla

« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2020, 03:15:50 am »
Thanks for input. I totally agree and was very surprised to see those fields as well.
The odd thing is that the Panel 1 does not look like that in the ConfigTool
See picture below.

I thought maybe the Charset file was not updated so I uploaded it again but the result is the same.
Any ideas?

b t w I am using next r782.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2020, 03:28:58 am by karla »

jdl

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2020, 08:59:28 am »
The odd thing is that the Panel 1 does not look like that in the ConfigTool
See picture below.

Yes, you are right. Sorry for the inconvenience!

r782 is fine!

This charset is used in MinimOSD only, not in the Config tool. The Config tool have to be redesigned to match what I've changed in MinimOSD firmware but I don't have time to dedicate to it right now.

That's why I've attached pairs of images of Panel1 and Panel2 in Config tool and in real OSD DVR samples to show how fields in Config Tool match the real ones in the MinimOSD.

karla

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2020, 12:05:51 pm »
Thanks a lot and no worries.
I am so happy to get the rssi displayed I can live with other strange things for now :)

This charset is used in MinimOSD only, not in the Config tool. The Config tool have to be redesigned to match what I've changed in MinimOSD firmware but I don't have time to dedicate to it right now. 
I understand something needs to be done to change the config tool.

That's why I've attached pairs of images of Panel1 and Panel2 in Config tool and in real OSD DVR samples to show how fields in Config Tool match the real ones in the MinimOSD.
okay the pictures you posted might make more sense after the config tool is updated.

take your time, no hurry :)

karla

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2020, 05:18:15 am »
Thanks for all useful input.
With help of your posted config osd file and the panel pictures, I was able to figure out most of the fields I want, and avoid others I don't need for the moment.

You may consider to get rid of some of the fields currently set in your OSD panel:

1. Value in LOS is almost the same as Distance_To_Home (next to big thick arrow pointing home).
Yes, if just adding the field "Home Direction", then I get both the direction and the Distance_To_Home.

2. Ha (or Ba) (height above home point)- on the left, and Alt (absolute GPS altitude) - on the right - do you need then both the same time?
This was another matter, by just adding the field Altitude, I get both HA and ALT.
Tried to put the HA part behind some other field to hide it, but that makes two values flicker so better just display it.

3. Vgnd and V3d. Again, they are most of time close to each other. Vgnd is GPS speed (ground projected). V3d is the speed in the direction of flight in 3d space. It can noticeably bigger than ground speed when diving, for example. I personally prefer to leave only V3d in my OSD.
I see you have discarded field for Airspeed (Vair)? It displays data from Pitot tube sensor!
Yes, by just adding the one field Air Speed, I got both airspeed and ground speed, no need for anything else.

The non-stop GO HOME NOW! alarm from the very beginning of flight makes me think you hadn't setup the battery capacity in the OSD Setup menu, I'm I right? To enter setup menu, toggle the switch for channel 7 to Panel3 position while disarmed.
You were right. It worked as you said.

Is your voltage sensor well calibrated? Or you've just launched with not fully charged battery?
Voltage sensor reasonable calibrated and accurate (not 100% happy with it), this was the 3rd flight with same lipo pack.

Current consumption seems too high to me while disarmed! Is the current sensor calibrated?
I have an Attopilot 50V/90A sensor on this plane and kept the VoltageFactor and currentFactor as specified in our Wiki.
Then I try to get the zero point to match true voltage and current. For voltage it works okay. For current though the sensor changes over time (maybe when it warms up). It shows too high values initially and then gradually comes down over say 5-10 min. And after a takeoff with full power it is realistic. Seems to be a balance of wrong initially and correct later in flight or vice versa.

OSD flickers and I see some noise in the video feed under higher throttle, if you don't have low esr caps connected to the power lines of the ESC, adding some can help with these issues. Also, placing a 1000uF/6.3V capacitor just on MinimOSD power pads helps with disappearing OSD text.
Yes, and its getting worse. No capacitors.
Read up on it and will definitely try your recommendation.

The temperature sensors (LM335z) I've mentioned are intended to monitor the temperatures of ESC and motor and warn when going to overheat. Their data is only processed in MinimOSD, not passed to Revo FC.
Got it  :)