It's my understanding that all your info will be displayed when searched by anyone.  I strongly disagree with this.  It should only be accessible by law enforcement, and only after a specific complaint with a specific number has been registered.

The way it is, anyone wanting to cause disruptive trouble (called terrorists only when it suits the government) find an active number in a desired area, put it on a drone, and get someone else in trouble.

Come to think of it, maybe that would be good.  After a few times when the owner of the number has an alibi, maybe the FAA will see just how worthless this list is.  Better yet, the courts will see how worthless it is.  On the other hand, maybe they already know how worthless it is and are just doing it for security theater or just to get a list of all private drone fliers.

Re: Your personal FAA drone signup information will be completely public
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2015, 08:54:21 pm »
The commenting period for this rule at www.regulations.gov began December 21 (and lasts 30 days IIRC).  Docket number FAA-2015-7396

Further info @
http://www.komando.com/happening-now/340576/guess-wholl-be-able-to-see-the-names-on-the-faas-drone-registry-list

Some info:
The FAA database will include names and address of minors (the age cutoff for registration is 13 years old) so publishing the registration as they have said they would is illegal.

It would be simple to download the whole database by just requesting data on each FAA number in the range.  Like a brute force password attack where a million user names are known and it only averages 50 guesses per user name because the password is limited to 2 digits (I confess that I don't know the actual sparsity of the FAA numbers).

The AMA is doing everything it can to stop the registry. For now it's telling its members not to register until it has exhausted its efforts.

The fine for flying a drone without a registration number is up to $27,000.
If you already own a drone, you have until February 19, 2016, to register.
If you buy a drone after Dec 21? you have to register it before flying.
What does this mean for Christmas gifts after Feb 19 if you refuse to sign up for fear of abuse by hot headed anti-drone activists?

We need protection from anti-drone activists, not exposure of our personal data to them:
 - Reference Modesto, California drone incident with shots fired at a drone and drone home owner's house (yes, holes in the house).  Complaint proven exaggerated with drone GPS data.  Court case found in favor of drone operator.  Gunman has not yet paid court approved cost of damage.
 - Reference Deer Trail Colorado where a law funding a drone bounty was finally voted down after much press exposure.

There is an exemption if the drone has a flight weight less than 8.8 oz (250 grams).
 - It is quite possible to FPV in less than 8.8 oz.
 - For instance there is a guy on rcgroups that does FPV with a WLToys V929.gunshots

Like before, the comment site is down
 - "The Regulations.gov Contact Us page is experiencing technical difficulties. Please send any Contact Us inquiries in an email to [email protected]."
 - No.  I would like to know that my comment didn't accidentally get thrown away.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2015, 05:03:45 pm by TheOtherCliff »