Problem with transmitter configuration with 16.09
« on: December 29, 2017, 11:41:09 pm »
I am having a problem setting up my transmitter with 16.09; the problem is that when I get to the point where the image is supposed to follow the control stick movement, it does not. This is apparently a known issue when you do not set a flight mode switch. My TX is a FLysky FS-I6x with 4 switches, but none seem to be recognized as a flight mode switch even though I have all 6 channels hooked up (an working as far as I can tell, but this is another problem). I saw a cryptic work around where you go to the system tab and set FLightModeNumber from 0 to 1, but when I do this, it always gets reset back to zero, so this does not appear to work. Is anyone working on fixing this in the code, as it apparently caused a lot of people headaches (certainly has me) and is clearly a BUG. It appears my only hope is to try an earlier version at this point unless someone knows another fix that works. I even bought a second transmitter as I had the same problem with another transmitter (really old one) so I assumed the TX was at fault. This is my first experience with open-source flight controllers, and so far it has left a very bad taste in my mouth!

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Problem with transmitter configuration with 16.09
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 12:12:22 am »
Hi, welcome.
Best fix you can do is setup your transmitter for a receiver output  changing while you move a switch and use the flightmode feature.

When the wizard ask for move the sticks (and stick do not move on screen) you just need to move the sticks to extend in your radio, it doesn't move in GCS but min/maxes are recorded. The workaround allow setting the reverse checkboxes into the next step where you need to see the stick movement on screen.

Workaround is described here: https://forum.librepilot.org/index.php?topic=3142.msg21750#msg21750

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 06:53:39 pm »
Thanks for the information. I did revert to 15.09 and had no problem with that version. I has also tried the workaround in the video as as I said the value I entered reverted back to 0 after I changed it to a 1; I may have been at the "move the stick to the limit" phase rather than the "show me the movement" one, but since I reverted, I can't got back and try it again, nor am I motivated to do so at this point.

So for the record, and the benefit of others who may encounter this issue ( and there appear to be many), is this classified as a bug in 16.09? Is it being fixed? It there a bug list where this appears so users who install 16.09 will be aware of this so they don't waste their time and effort thinking they have defective hardware? I am aware this is community supported and appreciate the effort that has gone into it, but it is also a product (albeit a free one) and as such, known bugs that seriously impede customers should be prioritized and fixed before new features, and until then, clearly documented. Otherwise, as with any product, the customers will decide the product quality is poor and will get their product somewhere else. I'm sure everyone who contributes to this project wants it to be successful and a quality user experience is going to be a big part of that. For the record, I am not a developer, but I have been writing software in bits and pieces for 40 years, and am an electronics engineer by trade (semi-retired now).

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 07:31:28 pm »
Yes, this bug is fixed in Next branch.
This is not related to hardware, but triggered by users skipping the useful Flightmode feature... seriously no one will fly with only one flightmode in normal setup. Will be needed for normal flight, acro or advanced autonomous flight.

If you want to improve the product and write code, review Pull request, write documentation or simply test new features: you're welcome, especially if you have free time.