Mateusz

New response curve
« on: December 12, 2017, 09:46:18 am »
Motivation

Racing vehicles often require precise as well as rapid control depending on the magnitude of the user input. User input is usually related to the output such as rotational speed by a function. For convenience such a function translating input to output from now on will be referred to as the response curve.

The most basic response curve can be exponential function. The shape of the exponential function can be determined by single parameter (exponent) and allows such mapping in which low-mid input values give precise changes in output, while higher input values result in more rapid response.

Disadvantage of such a basic exponential function is the limited number of shapes determined by a single parameter and usually too much flattened output for low input values. Attempts to remedy this can be found in different flight firmwares. BetaFlight implemented similar in shape to exponential but more parametrized SuperRate function with stepper low-mid input range properties. dRonin firmware implemented Expo-M using polynomials to allow user specifying desired rates at specific input ranges.

In this write-up I would like to introduce the concept of Bézier curves and discuss their potential applicability as an alternative response curve. More parametrized approach permits users to shape the response curve to their individual preferences more freely without as many limiting factors.

Bézier curve general representation
Bézier curves can be represented by a binomial polynomials with weights to control curvature.

The general Bézier curve forumla is

where is the order of polynomial, is the input variable and are weights being just coordinate values that our function should have.

For example cubic Bézier curve which stars at (0, 0), is controlled by (0.2, 0.8 ) and (0.8, 0.2) and ends at (1,1) the following Bézier curve can be used

where series of coordinates are and .

Implementation
For the cubic Bézier curve with star, end coordinates and two control points the following Python implementation demonstrates the shape of the curve.

Code: [Select]
import matplotlib.pyplot as plt

# t range must be between 0 and 1
t = [i/100 for i in range(0, 100)]
# Weights, start, end and two control points between
w = [(0, 0),  # Start
     (0.2, 0.8),   # First control
     (0.8, 0.2),  # Second control
     (1, 1)]  # End

# Beizer cubic which can be implemented in firmware
def cubic(t):
    t2 = t * t
    t3 = t2 * t
    mt = 1-t
    mt2 = mt * mt
    mt3 = mt2 * mt
    x = w[0][0]*mt3 + 3*w[1][0]*mt2*t + 3*w[2][0]*mt*t2 + w[3][0]*t3
    y = w[0][1]*mt3 + 3*w[1][1]*mt2*t + 3*w[2][1]*mt*t2 + w[3][1]*t3
    return((x, y))

# For plotting unfold tuple of coordinates
xy = [cubic(i) for i in t]
x = [ix[0] for ix in xy]
y = [iy[1] for iy in xy]

plt.plot(x, y)
plt.draw()
plt.savefig(fname)

Applicability
Input from the user can be, and usually is scaled between bound. Therefore, start and end points are fixed. The control coordinates are two tuning parameters which determine the shape of the curve and conveniently can serve to specify what is desirable output (rate) at two points between start and stop for given input.

Example of Qt 5.10 implementation in QML for the ground station can be found at as a short visual demo.

Discussion
Discussion is open, and basically why this post is here. Parametric function like this is not very complex to (see python code cubic(t)) to be implemented at flight-side, but does it make sense ?
Would any of pilots flying rate be happy with this additional flexibility of shaping/editing the curve with mouse by pulling and pushing control points ? There would be good default curve, but the question is, is this more useful than just basic expo curve ? Feedback would be nice.

Re: New response curve
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2017, 09:30:39 am »
Just some thoughts.

Maybe two user tuning parameters would be slope at stick center and slope at stick extreme.  You probably already assume that...  kind of like dual rates.  That would be translated internally to produce the curve.

One further tuning parameter might be how much extra "perfectly linear" range to have at center of stick.  Zero would mean normal Bézier curve from (0.5,0.5) to (1.0,1.0) with given initial and final slope.
Non-zero (maybe a scale to 100) would extend the center flat region and cause the curve to be sharper, but still obey both center slope and extreme slope.
Maximum value (say 100) would replace curve with a sharp angle and leave straight sloped line at center stick and suddenly a different slope somewhere out away from center stick and a sharp angle (instead of a curve) to convert from one slope to the other.
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 05:28:57 pm by TheOtherCliff »

Mateusz

Re: New response curve
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2017, 12:40:12 pm »
Maybe two tuning parameters would be slope at stick center and slope at stick extreme.  You probably already assume that...
Yes, curve starts at (0,0) and ends at (1,1). I am not showing mirror image.

Actually, I don't think now Bezier is the right choice. Other options are
  • Lagrange interpolation to get 3rd order polynomial passing through certain points
  • Solve symbolically polynomial equations for p(0)=0 start, p(1)=1 end, p(x_0)=y_0 for point it is required to pass through and p'(x_0) for first derivative at that point to get a slope. Let user set point and slope, and solve four equations.

Than I could implement pull and push on the curve instead of control points, and abandon Bezier curve idea. With Bezier the issue is that I have t "progress" parameter which is not really x.