Aner

Fail safe switch
« on: October 30, 2016, 04:03:50 pm »
Hi guys
I've been searching for info on how to assign a dedicated switch to trigger the FC-fail safe on a CC3d board mounted in my 250 quad? Like a test switch...
(I have this function in Clean flight on my IRC Vortex 285)
I have no problem setting up the failsafe itself in the system tab in LibrePilot and get it to work when for instance disconnecting the rx from FC.
But to assign a switch to trigger it manually?

Anyone who knows?

/A

Skickat från min iPad med Tapatalk
/Aner

ernstock

Re: Fail safe switch
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2016, 10:25:17 pm »
I may be missing the point , but I use the big on/off switch on the TX to test Failsafe.....

hwh

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2016, 10:29:54 pm »
I have to agree with ernstock, the switch to manually trigger failsafe is the transmitter's power switch.  I don't see why you'd want to have a separate switch to trigger failsafe.

Aner

« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 06:36:34 pm »
Hi. Failsafe for Tx (ie week or loss of signal) is not the same as failsafe for the FC ( ie connection between rx and FC fails/disconnected).

Two different scenarios. Be aware! Both must be set correctly.

/Aner

jtrout19

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2016, 08:55:29 pm »
Can you explain how those are not the same? In my mind. Rx loses connection with tx fc sees no input signal. And if fc loses rx then fc sees no input signal

Aner

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2016, 09:07:15 pm »
If rx loses signal with rx, FC sees whatever your rx is telling it and that depends on what you have programed it to do... (ie throttle low, all other channels neutral etc). But if you unplugg rx from FC you can't tell what your FC do. Mine for instance, goes to throttle 100% and into Flightmode 3. Its a good idea to change that. Luckily, this situation not often happens, if ever, bu if....Flyaway...

/Aner

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2016, 09:12:03 pm »
But if you unplugg rx from FC you can't tell what your FC do.

That exactlly the case where you should set the failsafe values you want, in the FC.

Aner

« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2016, 10:25:07 pm »
But if you unplugg rx from FC you can't tell what your FC do.

That exactlly the case where you should set the failsafe values you want, in the FC.
Indeed. But is there a way to assign a switch to test the failsafe function, as in my question of this topic?

/Aner

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2016, 10:34:50 pm »
No.

Simply disconnect at least one Rc input wire if you use PWM, INPUT show Orange alarm in SystemHealth.

Aner

Fail safe switch
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2016, 06:35:54 am »
Ok. Thanks
You know what, just tried to disconnect the input terminal on the board and the terminal itself came loos! LOL
I guess it was a bit worn out and that I should be glad that it happened "on ground" and not in flight...short after.

/Aner

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2016, 05:42:13 pm »
Hi everyone..i am a new user here. As per my knowledge the switch to manually trigger failsafe is the transmitter's power switch.  I don't see why you'd want to have a separate switch to trigger failsafe
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:35:20 pm by f5soh »

Aner

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2016, 08:42:24 am »
Hi
Please read earlier post in this topic and it is explained.
Its always a good idea to be able to test failsafe functions after setup. For Tx/rx system as well for FC.

/Aner

« Reply #12 on: November 08, 2017, 07:31:48 am »
I have to agree with ernstock, the switch to manually trigger failsafe is the transmitter's power switch.  I don't see why you'd want to have a separate switch to trigger failsafe.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 01:33:46 pm by f5soh »

« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2017, 08:29:46 am »
The default for modern transmitters is that they won't start up unless switches and throttle are in "safe" positions.  You don't want to have to go to zero throttle and FMS pos#1 just to switch out of failsafe.  This can be overridden, but RC Tx defaults aren't usually set the right way if you are doing this.

Also, for some brands the Tx takes a few seconds to start up.  That may or may not be an issue.

That said, I have used transmitters that have only a 2 position FMS and got a third position by properly configuring failsafe.  This worked well since I wanted RTB for the 3rd position.

To do this using RC failsafe:  Start with your transmitter FMS switch / channel set to full range, say PWM 1000us to 2000us and run the LP Tx Wizard selecting a 3 position FMS even though the switch only has 2 positions.  Now in the transmitter set the RC failsafe to be 1000 (or 2000) on the FMS channel.  Then use the transmitter setup to change the range on the FMS to 1500 to 2000 (or 1000 to 1500).  You now have a 2 position switch that goes from 1500 to 2000 (1000 to 1500) and it jumps to 1000 (2000) when you switch the Tx off.  Make sure you disable startup warnings for throttle stick and FMS switch position if you think that is best.  Make sure the Input page min/neutral/max are sane for the FMS and you get expected operation from the FMS.  Don't forget to set your other channels the way you need them during failsafe.  Set those on the RC side, not the FC side since you are using RC failsafe and the FC will not know there is a failsafe.

It's really only good to use this for RTB since you could have a fly-away if you flew out of range with it configured for some other things.

You can also set this up with FC failsafe.