UBX gps w/compass on hobbyking for cc3d/revo. serial mag?
« on: December 09, 2015, 01:53:36 am »
was just cruising the HK site and came across this GPS /compass module...looking at it, I only see a 4 wire connector?  they sending mag data thru the serial port?
not a whole of details tho
also can't tell if it's a 6 or an 8!? it says both in different places!

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__89565__Mini_Ublox_Neo_6M_GPS_for_CC3D_Revolution_Flight_Controller_w_Built_in_Compass.html
« Last Edit: December 09, 2015, 01:57:38 am by Thrasher »

Re: UBX gps w/compass on hobbyking for cc3d/revo. serial mag?
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2015, 05:29:56 pm »
I asked an eBay seller that question and the answer was no.  The answer was that it has a normal mag that is usually connected with two extra wires, but it is simply not connected.

I would not be the first one to buy one and try it because HobbyKing returns are such a huge pain and cost you money.

If you really want to try one, I would buy one on eBay but ask clear direct questions before buying.  They will answer honestly because they know they will have to take it back and pay return shipping.

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2015, 08:53:33 pm »
Can a GPS with a MAG be connected to CC3D? If so, how? I know the  GPS part can be connected via the main or flexi port, but then where does the mag plug in?

JaeMelo

« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2015, 07:36:49 am »
There is no point in trying to connect a GPS to a CC3D for anything other than telemetry. If your trying to add a gps to try out some autonomous flight modes don't bother. In addition mag data isn't even supported on the revo yet so it obviously won't be for the CC3D, and probably never will be due to hardware limitations with the CC3D.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2015, 08:15:41 am »
If your trying to add a gps to try out some autonomous flight modes don't bother. In addition mag data isn't even supported on the revo yet

Mag is fully supported in all Revo familly, supports also the GPSv9 with external mag and current 'next' branch supports i2c mag for next release.

JaeMelo

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2015, 01:48:56 pm »
If your trying to add a gps to try out some autonomous flight modes don't bother. In addition mag data isn't even supported on the revo yet

Mag is fully supported in all Revo familly, supports also the GPSv9 with external mag and current 'next' branch supports i2c mag for next release.
I should have said ext mag data to be specific, my mistake. Also, I am aware of the revo being able to use mag data but that is only in the V9 GPS...  a unit which is not only rare but NLA. I have been made aware of the plans for i2c support over another available port prior to all of this; however this is irrelevant to the person in which I was trying to help. The person I was trying to help "above my post" was trying to do all of above on a CC3D.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 02:58:45 pm by JaeMelo »

« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2015, 08:50:41 pm »
Thanks for the info about the mag
I'm not sure why the first reply to a question about adding a GPS to a CC3D is always that it is worthless. I am not interested in using it for any form of autonomous flight. I just want the altitude and speed data that it provides. If it can give me a HOME direction arrow or any other info about my current position at the time, than it is worth trying out for $15-$30. I may try a REVO in the future, but for now I just want my 250 to display enough info on my OSD to keep me aware of where I am. 

« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2015, 08:59:16 pm »
To be clear, the new aux mag support was voted to not be included in CC3D.

hwh

« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2015, 09:13:57 pm »
Is the V9 mag supported on cc3d?

« Reply #9 on: December 13, 2015, 04:32:49 am »
Can't find my CC3D right now, to plug it in and check, but no.  There is no mag support of any kind in CC/3D.

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2015, 01:44:31 am »
Guess I should have gotten a REVO