jcg1541

• Phones, Networks, And The Red Pill
Re: Gearless Heli Setup
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 03:28:59 am »
I need to confess that I just did a very controlled hovering endurance test, and the geared version lasted exactly as long as the gearless version. 16 minutes on the 800mah pack. One went from 12.6v to 11.2v , another went from 12.6v to 11.15v , well within margin of error. They are basically the same. But, the gearless version weighs 249.9 grams while the geared version weighs 240.1 grams, both with the on-board raspberry pi weight of 10 extra grams.

That means that, to add 2nd camera or gps, the gearless version will have to go over 250 grams. But, my flying field is just on the border of 5 mile radius from a airforce base.
So, it is going to be a tough decision to go with the gearless and register with FAA and all that opposite of fun.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 12:29:42 am by jcg1541 »

jcg1541

• Phones, Networks, And The Red Pill
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 01:04:30 am »
OK, I got the dive bombing practice footage. The first diving happens at the 0:38 mark,

. I used attitude mode to fly this. And when the elevator stick is all the way forward,
 the diving is only 70-80 degrees, not vertical 90 degress.
But, this thread can be concluded that the only difference between regular gear heli
and gearless setup on the CC3D configuration is that the failsafe for tail is -100%
for the direct drive, so that when you want to power on the servos to work on tuning
the servos, the tail is powered off. So, CC3D config is here,
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1S_8A7ODSe-Kncj7hl1GtejdZaLcz_qwL
, and the build material and discussions are at
 https://nocomputerbutphone.blogspot.com/2017/12/converged-drone-developers-platform.html

I will talk about tuning the stick mixer of CC3D in the other thread "Cliff Diving PID" .
Right now I am still trying to figure out if my P gain is too big and that the airfoil goes over the
critical attack angle at the bottom of the dive when I let go the cyclic stick to neutral.  CC3D
should be generating the maximum compensation at that point. And what is the swash angle
at that point ? I don't know.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2018, 01:17:15 am by jcg1541 »

karla

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2018, 06:18:20 am »
I used attitude mode to fly this. And when the elevator stick is all the way forward,
 the diving is only 70-80 degrees, not vertical 90 degrees.

Coming along nicely I see.
I think when you do set up the pitch- and throttle curves on the transmitter, you can just set a common 3D flight combination that will include a negative pitch angle and then you can do 90 or why not 110 degrees dives. I think attitude mode will be fine. Just let go of pitch stick and it should level out, fc will do it. Or use Rate and then you will do it yourself.