CC3D
« on: October 08, 2017, 10:48:04 am »
Hey everyone, I just picked up my first drone.. EMAX Nighthawk 250 with a CC3D controller and D4R-II.  I am trying to connect it to my computer and use Libre Pilot.

I read some where that i need to run CleanFlight first before I can use Libre, when I hook and and click on the right settings it say "No Response From The Bootloader ; Programming Failed". I am complete lost at this point.

Can someone walk me through what to do at this point?  Everything I've looked up is either outdated, or I can't find the proper steps.

Please help, I just want to fly!!!  :'(

When i connect my CC3D to the computer the LED lights are solid blue with a flashing green. (If there's is any other info I need to provide, just let me know!)

Re: CC3D
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 06:07:17 pm »
First of all, I would recommend that you fly it with the firmware that it comes with, so that if there is a problem, you can return it.

Then be aware that you must replace the bootloader (part of the CC3D firmware) to be able to use LibrePilot.

I hear that one easy way to install an LP bootloader is to use CleanFlight to flash the bl_coptercontrol.hex file onto the CC3D and then use LP rescue procedure.

Do this to skip the CF step.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Rescuemethod

You will wind up here to flash it
http://www.southquay3d.com/index.php?route=news/article&news_id=9

Then do this to use your new bootloader to put the firmware on it
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/LPDOC/pages/5669026/Firmware+Tab#FirmwareTab-Manualmethod

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 03:22:04 am »
Sorry I'm really new to this whole thing.  What firmware does it come with? The kit I bought didn't come with any instructions and I dont see any software that it came with?

Everything you just mentioned is completely foreign to me, is there a walk-though anywhere that I can follow?

I really appreciate you trying to help me, I'll take any advise I can get!

« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2017, 05:11:38 am »
You can ask the seller what firmware it comes with.  CleanFlight seems to be a popular choice for mfg's.

« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2017, 05:44:06 am »
So just plug my drone into my computer and open CleanFlight?

Mateusz

« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2017, 10:50:08 am »
So just plug my drone into my computer and open CleanFlight?

The CC3D is a flight-controller which stabilizes your multi-rotor. The board has digital three axis gyroscope and accelerometer chip and small programmable micro-controller STM32.
To that board usually are connected
  • Receiver - talks between CC3D and radio you use to control it with sticks. Receiver usually uses special protocol PPM for your receiver I believe, if its FrSky D4R-II
  • Electronic Speed Controllers - These control the speed of motors with high voltage, by low voltage commands from your flight-controller, which is CC3D in your case. They also communicated with CC3D special protocol. For example PWMSync, OneShot125, ..etc
There might be more stuff/gear, but this is bare minimum you need to know about at this point, if you are new.

Now, STM32 chip has some memory to run small programs. It runs bootloader which starts actual firmware (software on copter side).
Another important software is the one running on your computer, ground control station (GCS) for LibrePilot or some other tool depending on software you use.
The way firmware on copter and software on computer communicates is usually over USB using special protocol (UAVLink, MAVLink, etc...). So firmware + software on computer must match, otherwise bits of communication might not be interpreted correctly by either side.

To fly
You should know flight-modes that you are going to use and how to arm. This should be straightforward if your copter is configured correctly from the factory.

Otherwise
If your copter comes not configured, or if you plan on flashing different firmware than it ships with. This is more advanced topic. Because you will have to configure everything from scratch.

What I recommend is checking with CleanFlight configurator or with LibrePilot ground control station, whether either of them shows sings that computer's side tool connected.
In LibrePilot these are green squares in the right bottom corner. You should also navigate to Scopes to see sensor reads in time, when you move copter scope with Gyro states show change, but be careful not to rip-off USB connector while playing like this. Both LibrePilot and CleanFlight have model of copter and scopes which should react to copter movement when you have it connected and it's communicating.

This is the quickest way to determine which firmware it came with. I also recommend sticking to whatever it came with, and once you read-up, then switch to LibrePilot.

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2017, 03:00:23 am »
I have gone through everything, I can not figure it out... my power LED is flashing green when plug into the computer... blue LED is solid - Libre GCS is saying the board is not connected to the USB...

« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 04:10:17 am »
I have gone through everything ... Libre GCS is saying the board is not connected to the USB...

So you have installed the LP bootloader as documented in the first answer / second post?

« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2017, 04:22:16 am »
everything is installed on the computer... when i go into the firmware to rescue or just do the wizard setup it does not recognize the drone is connected to the computer.

all i get on the drone is a solid blue led and a flashing green led

Mateusz

« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 09:15:42 am »
What I recommend is checking with CleanFlight configurator or with LibrePilot ground control station...

Did you do that ? Checked both ? None of them connects ? If none of them connects and you dont want default, but don't mind starting configuration form scratch, I suggest SBL method for CC3D (usb-uart adapter needed 3.3V) to flash bootloader+fimrware (ef_*.bin file, standing for entire flash contains both bootloader and firmware) with dfu-utils

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 09:01:39 pm »
What happens when you try this:
- Disconnect board
- Click Rescue button
- Connect board

Please post a picture with your board.

« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2017, 10:26:48 pm »
I still haven't seen the question answered as to whether the user has installed the LP bootloader using the links already supplied.