alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
NAZA GPS w/compass problem
« on: October 02, 2017, 02:11:45 am »
My new NAZA gps w/compass is working, however I cannot get the AUX compass to calibrate? My board sees the compass yet it does not completely "jive" completely w/ the on-board compass. What an I doing wrong? I can calibrate the on-board compass. Though that is not the recommended setup? I'm fairly new to all this stuff. Help is appreciated.  ???
Alan W. F. Jr.

Re: NAZA GPS w/compass problem
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 03:25:05 am »
Arrow on GPS pointed forward.  With some that means cable comes out in front of GPS.

Aux mag orientation set to 0,0,0

Type set to "aux only"

Mag calibration always calibrates both aux and onboard, no matter what your settings are, so don't worry there.

Once you start mag cal, it is always gathering data, so you can't set it down on ground or your car between orientations.

Attitude -> Settings -> AttitudeEstimationAlgorithm needs to be INS13 (outdoor/navigation) for GPS flight modes.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 11:27:47 am »
OK, I've tried this, you say not to set it on the ground? The first request is to make it horizontal. I do that on the ground. the other requests are done by holding it. When finished, after doing this it always says "it" (Magnetometer) failed. All other tests were tested OK.
Alan W. F. Jr.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 11:54:44 am »
I've just tried it twice without putting it on the ground. The x,y,& z axis's are not working together(ie: the on-board and aux mags)especially the z axis. They should always be the same when ever you move the craft according to the instructions?
Alan W. F. Jr.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:10:03 pm »
First you need to calibrate correctly the Mags, if you get "calibration failed" maybe you didn't follow the online help where you should put the frame in various orientations in 6 steps, this is the first method for calibrating Mag.

Another methods is simply rotate the frame in all directions without taking care about a special orientation.
While calibrating (this mean you clicked "start") you need to cover all the 3D space.
You can skip first 5 steps, move/rotate the frame in all directions, validate last step and save.

Look the calibration dance:

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:41:48 pm »
Just tried the methods given and same result. I must be missing something? Should I re-calibrate the accelerometor again? Is the battery supposed to be in for all calibrations for everything?
Alan W. F. Jr.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:42 pm »
Accelerometer calibration has nothing related with Mag calibration.

Of course the battery is plugged in so the Naza GPS is powered while calibrating mag.

Others calibrations (Accels, gyros, level, thermal) do not need external power.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 01:15:39 pm »
I am getting frustrated. Should I re-flash this with INAV. Would it be a better move. My board sees both compasses, gets 15 satellites, flies great without the compass, yet this is the only calibration I can not get to work? Frustrated TELCO man. :(
Alan W. F. Jr.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 01:23:02 pm »
If the Mag cannot be calibrated correctly there is a reason, nothing magic.
The same setup running another firmware will give the same mag measurements results.

How are both (onboard / auxmag) mag alarms ?
Post some pictures how you setup the GPS naza into the frame.
Post a log file while moving the frame slowly.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 01:52:12 pm »
Here's the info you requested..
Alan W. F. Jr.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 02:12:28 pm »
Both mags are currently not calibrated.
If calibration fails you maybe missed a step or there is a strong mag device around.

For a log file you need to do Tools > Start logging and next Tools > Stop logging

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2017, 02:39:02 pm »
OK, got it!........here's the logging file.....like I said, I'm a new-bee at all this stuff.. Exactly, how do I calibrate the compasses?... I must be missing something? Please tell me step by step..Thanks! :)
Alan W. F. Jr.

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2017, 04:51:41 pm »
Please redo a similar or larger log file while doing the mag calibration.

This mean start log - start calibration - do calibration - stop log.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2017, 06:11:57 pm »
OK, give me a moment.....
Alan W. F. Jr.

alanfjr

• Retired Telephone Man
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2017, 06:17:45 pm »
here's the logging you requested...
Alan W. F. Jr.