startrek66

• F330+Revo
Gps mount. Electromagnetic interference.
« on: August 20, 2016, 11:48:35 am »
According to your opinion, to avoid electromagnetic interference problems , the gps support bar instead of being made ​​of carbon fiber would not be better fiberglass ?
I believe that for this use is to be favored the rigidity but also the dielectric , and in my experience the carbon fiber is not suitable for the second requirement. I have example of fiberglass rod with a good rigidity.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

f5soh

• LibrePilot
Re: Gps mount. Electromagnetic interference.
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 12:34:55 pm »
All my GPS mast are in carbon fiber, real or fake carbon it doesn't matter.

Mateusz

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2016, 01:05:04 pm »
Wouldn't CF need to conduct electricity to disturb magnetometer ? Everything else that is static can be accounted for by correct calibration.
I totally don't get why CF wouldn't be suitable...

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2016, 02:35:41 pm »
Ok. Thanks for yours opinion.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2016, 09:49:32 pm »
To disturb a magnetometer / 3D compass it would have to be made of something that can be attracted by a magnet (or just
electrically conductive but the motions would have to be very fast for that, not something we worry about :) ).

I would not mount an antenna next to a carbon post though.  Fiberglass or plastic would cause much less problems for that.  Also don't mount an antenna such as RC antenna on the other side of something big and conductive (battery or carbon plate or metal anything).