CC3D not connecting via USB
« on: August 14, 2017, 07:44:52 am »
Hi Guys,

Ran into a weird problem this weekend. Mate and I went out flying and he took his laptop with to tune his quad to my settings.

Plugged mine in, did some tuning, disconnected and unplugged. Flew the whole day and when I wanted to check something again, windows reports it cannot recognize my CC3D. "Device Descriptor request failed". Carried on flying and thought I'd try at home.

But the board does the same on my home laptop, as well as my work laptop.

Tried to unplug it, press Rescue and plug in. Nothing.
Tried the same with Upgrade and Upgrade and Erase. Windows just fails to recognize the board.
Tried with lipo in as well. Nothing.
Uninstalled and re-installed GSC. Still nothing.

Trawled the web looking for fixes but could not find any.

The weird part is, she still flies. No problem. It seems the board is fine, perhaps the USB port buggered? Attached is a photo of the pins on the board. Searched a bit for Mini USB pinouts and some show pin 4 as an X. So not sure if my one pin got lost or something.
Reallac X6R
Racerstar 2205 2300kv
BL-Heli ESC's
CC3D
Matek PDB
HQ Prop V1s
Eachine TX801 VRX

Re: CC3D not connecting via USB
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2017, 08:19:08 pm »
Try a different USB cable.

Look with high power magnification to see if pins in the USB connector of the FC are damaged.

« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 07:43:41 am »
Thanks Cliff.

Yes, one USB port pin pushed in when I plugged it in. There must have been something in there after a crash and did not notice it.

Can the CC3D be configued in LibrePilot via a FTDI? Change setting ect ect?
Reallac X6R
Racerstar 2205 2300kv
BL-Heli ESC's
CC3D
Matek PDB
HQ Prop V1s
Eachine TX801 VRX

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 08:18:10 am »
It may be possible to configure it via Mainport/FlexiPort set as telemetry, but you need to configure that from current telemetry, which is USB unless maybe you currently have an OSD running... so chicken and egg.  At least I don't think there is any automatic switch over to serial when USB is disconnected, but it doesn't hurt to try.

If you can get the USB to work correctly by bending something just one time, you could set telemetry to serial (USB off and e.g. Flexi=Telemetry?) and try an FTDI.

Other options might include removing USB connector and replacing it ... or cutting up a USB cable and carefully soldering the wires in the correct place where the USB connector used to be.  I successfully used Kapton tape and hot air reflow to replace one once.

Although still very tiny, the chip that has the settings actually has the largest pins and could be replaced with one that has serial port set to telemetry, if you have another CC3D to set this up and test it and swap chips with.  Again, probably Kapton tape and hot air reflow...

A standard CC3D is less than USD $10 and even fancy varieties are less than $15, so buying a new one makes the most sense unless you have equipment, time, skills, and desire (or a buddy with all these) to fix this one.

Edit:  Hmmm, another option would be for a programmer friend to make a simple change to the firmware, a special version of firmware that does serial telemetry by default.  Then you would install this firmware using FTDI and SBL method like you have to do if it has no bootloader or a different brand of bootloader.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2017, 08:25:42 am by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 08:31:15 am »
Thanks again!

I have a normal el cheapo CC3D and replacing it would be much easier. Just checking if there was perhaps an easier way to get it to work. :)

Anyway, thanks for the replies. I'll pawn this one off and next time check my USB port for any debris first! :)
Reallac X6R
Racerstar 2205 2300kv
BL-Heli ESC's
CC3D
Matek PDB
HQ Prop V1s
Eachine TX801 VRX

rad2014

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 12:26:28 pm »