Re: [Solved] AlwaysStabilizeWhenArmed Why must motors idle at 0% throttle?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2017, 04:16:16 pm »
If your flying rate mode i would suggest trying acro+ just like rate mode but helps you more on flips and rolls inverted stuff. I have found on ratitude depending on how its set up cuts the power to the motors went your trying to flip when inverted. I noticed it once i got comfortable flipping the 360 fast. I would try to flip upside-down 180 and then would have any power to get the last 180  it would just rely on centrifugal force.

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2017, 04:27:27 pm »
If your flying rate mode i would suggest trying acro+ just like rate mode but helps you more on flips and rolls inverted stuff. I have found on ratitude depending on how its set up cuts the power to the motors went your trying to flip when inverted. I noticed it once i got comfortable flipping the 360 fast. I would try to flip upside-down 180 and then would have any power to get the last 180  it would just rely on centrifugal force.

I found the same thing using Rattitude. I only tried flipping once and lost power because AWSA wasn't enabled and crashed (first crash, first broken frame).

I was planning on using the flight modes I setup for the following purposes:

Rattitude: LOS flying, the occasional flip.
Rate: FPV flying, racing, no flips
Rate+ASWA: FPV Flying, freestyle

If I change the 3rd flight mode to Acro+ w/ ASWA, what do you suggest I set the rates to? (I currently have 700 set for rate mode).

Also, what do you suggest for Acro+ factor?

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2017, 09:54:49 pm »
I have my rates at 270  for both yaw, pitch and roll and then on the acro+ setting in the expert tab i bumped both sliders up to 60. And i dont run expo eather. The acro+ is kinda like expo in its own way.  So when your upside down the kwad moves around faster i also have aswa. My flight modes go ratitude, rates aswa and acro+ aswa. I also have been trying the different modes for yaw because i dont know if i can tell the difference between rates, axislock, acro+ on the yaw axis.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2017, 10:20:55 pm »
I have my rates at 270  for both yaw, pitch and roll and then on the acro+ setting in the expert tab i bumped both sliders up to 60. And i dont run expo eather. The acro+ is kinda like expo in its own way.  So when your upside down the kwad moves around faster i also have aswa. My flight modes go ratitude, rates aswa and acro+ aswa. I also have been trying the different modes for yaw because i dont know if i can tell the difference between rates, axislock, acro+ on the yaw axis.

Thanks for the insight!

Have you ever tried ASWA with Rattitude? I'd like to try some line of sight flips.

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2017, 10:34:31 pm »

CruiseControl is the thing that cuts the motors.  It doesn't cut the power completely.  It reduces it to 5% if you leave the stick above 5%.  Anything above zero throttle should allow full 100% power for control and stabilization, but zero throttle cuts the motors off completely; a safety feature.  When using CC, you are supposed to leave the throttle up high (at least above zero) during flips.  Either you are cutting the throttle to zero during flips and still expecting the motors to control and stabilize, or you have found a bug.  I've heard similar things before, but no one has helped to figure this out.

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2017, 10:53:10 pm »
CruiseControl is the thing that cuts the motors.  It doesn't cut the power completely.  It reduces it to 5% if you leave the stick above 5%.  Anything above zero throttle should allow full 100% power for control and stabilization, but zero throttle cuts the motors off completely; a safety feature.  When using CC, you are supposed to leave the throttle up high (at least above zero) during flips.  Either you are cutting the throttle to zero during flips and still expecting the motors to control and stabilize, or you have found a bug.  I've heard similar things before, but no one has helped to figure this out.

This might be by noob brain talking, but here's a question:

If someone is doing flips why wouldn't they want ASWA enabled so they don't have to worry about keeping the throttle up a little bit? Isn't just throwing the throttle all the way to 0% easier than trying to balance it just a little bit above 0%?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2017, 10:59:18 pm by emperorsgroove »

« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2017, 05:20:42 am »
I think for me about the cruzcontrol is i just started flying 3 to 4 months ago and i am not any where close to being a good pilot. I have just got my craft flying line of sight untill i understood what it  did and then i just went to fpv. Since i have played video games my whole life i just wish i would have used first person instead of third person. But anyways yes i have used aswa in ratitude and it's the way to  go when your trying to flip. I have my flight mode set up to activate it  for position 2 and 3 and if im in the first if you go up 20 to 30 line of sight and just cut throttle it will fall like a rock b

« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2017, 05:39:10 am »
This might be by noob brain talking, but here's a question:

If someone is doing flips why wouldn't they want ASWA enabled so they don't have to worry about keeping the throttle up a little bit? Isn't just throwing the throttle all the way to 0% easier than trying to balance it just a little bit above 0%?

You don't need to do anything to the throttle when flipping with CruiseControl.  Anywhere between 5% and 100% stick gets changed to 5% when inverted.  The best way to do flips with CC is to give full throttle (or at least more than hover power) and leave it there while you do the flip and for a second or two after the flip.  CC reduces the motors when inverted.  You start with a little upward velocity and end with a little downward velocity, but leaving the throttle above hover will soon check the post flip downward velocity.

« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2017, 06:51:08 am »
i just started flying 3 to 4 months ago and i am not any where close to being a good pilot. I had just got my craft flying line of sight untill i understood what it  did and then i jumped into fpv right away. Since i have played video games my whole life i just wish i would have used first person instead of third person. But anyways yes i have used aswa in ratitude and it's the way to  go when your trying to flip or roll period. I have my flight mode switch set up to activate aswa  for position 2 and 3 and if im in the first position if you go up 20ft to 30ft line of sight and just cut throttle it will fall like a rock  and start to rotate. Even though the motors spin at neutral. If you try it with aswa enable in any flight mode i falls level. I recommend doing that experiment yourself so you understand how your quad manuvers. i use ratitude to take off and land and when i freak out and  also to do very precision flying through tight places. But fast flying   i always use aswa cuz  don't plan on when i flip and flop i just do what feels natural. I also can feel that ratitude and altituded handling charcteristics slow down because that extra pid loop for the stabltization.  after i started experimenting with acro+ and manual thrust i feel way more comfortable with that than anything else. But i think the altitude and ratitude flight modes are the reasons why i progressed so efficiently. They are great stepping Stones

« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2017, 06:41:19 pm »
Thanks everyone! I think I now have a good understanding of what ASWA is, how to configure it, and how to use it.

As soon as Toronto starts to get some nice weather again I'll try it out.