What flight controller is king between the two

Revo
4 (100%)
Sparky 2.0
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 4

Which fc is better
« on: August 10, 2017, 04:00:35 pm »
Im asking the people that own and use them on a regular basis. Or anyone that has a preference. The sparky 2.0 or the Revo. Im going to buy one soon and the only difference on paper i can see is the low pass filter on the 433 modem and the brushed connections. Im also buying a oplink to use as rc. And maybe mess around with telemetry in the beginning  but i have an osd that tells me everything i need to know. Also if anyone has pros or cons please comment below. I would love to hear what everyone thinks. Thank you for your time and energy. Happy skys!
« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 04:08:10 pm by Wayne'sWorld »

mr_w

• LibrePilot
Re: Which fc is better
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 04:31:18 pm »
IMO Revo pros are

- better (although older) gyro/acc sensor - less noise
- more connectivity (flexi-io port)

Regarding sparky, I wouldn't say there are any real pros at all - the brushed connections would be useful only if the board was a lot smaller. Doing brushed quad with that size of the board doesn't make sense.

« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2017, 04:46:48 pm »
Many fabs replace the LPF with a 0 ohm resistor because it is cheaper.

Sparky2 was never more than a niche controller and is getting harder to find.  Revo has flooded the market and will still be around for a while.

IIRC, you can do brushed with any of them if you can do tiny soldering, but if you want brushed, you may want a smaller lighter board like mini Revo or Nano.

Revo comes in several flavors including mini-without-RF, mini-with-RF, missing-baro-and-mag, vertical or horizontal pins, Nano circuit in a Revo size board, etc.

Revo uses old (end of life) sensors where Sparky2 uses more modern sensors they are equivalent, but the old style might be just a little bit better (not noticable).

Revo allows you to do PWM input, but Sparky2 does not.

Sparky2 seems to come in 2 (maybe more) flavors, "perfect black board from a seller on ebay ($43)" and "no LPF, 10k resistor instead of 0 ohm in receiver power selection, solder blob must be removed to use RF, but cheaper ($32 an xt-xinte.com)"

The two boards that I know of that seem to be made perfectly are:

- from the final official runs of OpenPilot Nano for $30 shipped (USA)
https://sasquatchlabs.org/product/genuine-nano-flight-controller-w-case (sasquatchlabs.org web store has closed)

- from the final official runs of TauLabs Sparky2 for $43 shipped (world)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Taulabs-Sparky-2-0-32bit-F4-MCU-Based-Flight-Controller-compatiable-Librepilot-/172353561802
« Last Edit: July 20, 2018, 06:04:52 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2017, 05:19:02 pm »
Thanks for the input guys,  your opinions hold weight in my book.