startrek66

• F330+Revo
FOV
« on: July 22, 2017, 12:19:08 pm »
I'm setting up a fpv system to install on my quadcopter that let me see what I'm doing with my Action Cam. I have for now an Action camera with 170 degrees fov but I do not like it. The objects appear farther than I am in reality. What kind of Action cam do you suggest?

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

Re: FOV
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2017, 05:14:53 pm »
170 degrees is a bit wide, but it is flyable.  FOV is Field Of View.

You really don't want to go too narrow, because then you can't tell what you are actually looking at, the middle of this tree or the middle of that tree.

You buy a security camera lens by it's "focal length".  FPVer's usually use between 1.78mm (wide angle) and 4.0mm (narrow angle) focal length.  The only reason I include 4.0mm is that I have a night lens that is 4.0mm.  The next step beyond 4.0mm is 6.0mm and you really don't want to use that.  Many cheap security cameras come with 3.6mm lenses.  I would guess the most popular FPV size is 2.8mm.  2.97mm is supposed to be similar to the human eye, so you don't get fish eye, but it is a little narrow field for most people?

That said, you might get away with using a narrow FOV if you have pan/tilt servos so you can move the camera around while flying and the aircraft is stable enough and flown far enough away from things (fixed wing) that you have time to use the pan/tilt.  I still would want multiple cameras with an electronic video switch (or variable zoom) to consider using 6.0mm or longer focal length.

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2017, 06:08:19 pm »
170 degrees is a bit wide, but it is flyable.  FOV is Field Of View.

You really don't want to go too narrow, because then you can't tell what you are actually looking at, the middle of this tree or the middle of that tree.

You buy a security camera lens by it's "focal length".  FPVer's usually use between 1.78mm (wide angle) and 4.0mm (narrow angle) focal length.  The only reason I include 4.0mm is that I have a night lens that is 4.0mm.  The next step beyond 4.0mm is 6.0mm and you really don't want to use that.  Many cheap security cameras come with 3.6mm lenses.  I would guess the most popular FPV size is 2.8mm.  2.97mm is supposed to be similar to the human eye, so you don't get fish eye, but it is a little narrow field for most people?

That said, you might get away with using a narrow FOV if you have pan/tilt servos so you can move the camera around while flying and the aircraft is stable enough and flown far enough away from things (fixed wing) that you have time to use the pan/tilt.  I still would want multiple cameras with an electronic video switch (or variable zoom) to consider using 6.0mm or longer focal length.

Thanks for your helpful explanation. A few days ago I ordered a heachine camera tx01 can you confirm if it is a good choice in terms of visual field?

« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2017, 05:58:19 am »
Right there in the ad, it says: 120 FOV (probably horizontal) and 150 DFOV (probably diagonal).  And that compares to your 170 FOV (probably diagonal) as fairly close to the same.  Just a little bit narrower.

It is about one notch wider FOV than what I believe the average (2.8mm on a 1/3 sensor) lens people use.

Be aware that this is a 1/4 inch sensor, and the chart I posted was for 1/3 inch, so the lens FOV to focal length will be a little different.  IIRC, each lens will have a wider FOV on a 1/4 inch sensor than the same lens on a 1/3 inch sensor.

If you weren't happy with your first setup, this one will be a little narrower.

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2017, 07:02:27 am »
I tried the new tx01 and i'm satisfied with the fov it provides. I do not use the goggles but a small 5 "monitor (car monitor) that in the days of full sun becomes unmanageable. I do not think there is a monitor capable of being readable in the sun. do you have any suggestions?
I saw the watch for fpv. Do you know how it behaves in the sun? Do you know this product?
 Regards

« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 07:40:56 am by startrek66 »

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2017, 02:37:46 pm »
If you wanna stay on the cheap (low price) side, you should consider Quanum V2 (pro?) which sells for $32 at hobbyking. I don't think there is anything else that has better value for the price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-diy-fpv-goggle-v2-pro.html

Mateusz

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2017, 02:45:21 pm »
If you wanna stay on the cheap (low price) side, you should consider Quanum V2 (pro?) which sells for $32 at hobbyking. I don't think there is anything else that has better value for the price.
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/quanum-diy-fpv-goggle-v2-pro.html

I got them as present for my father, and they have better quality than my FatShark Dominator v2, but way cheaper. The thing with Dominator is that theyr'e expensive because screen has to be cut small per each eye pupil and these quantum reuse existing and cheap LCDs used to produce other devices. But immersive feel is better on these bigger screens.
The advantage of FatSharks is their size, built-in sd-card recording and small weight. If I want to bike somewhere, I dont need a car to pack all my FPV gear. That's why I use FatSharks. Also my neck is not hurting from longer fights. But you need to fly really long for that to be your concern.
I would really recommend Quantum's as starting goggles.

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2017, 04:21:35 pm »
I use the monitor that came with my eachine racer 250 and it works all day in direct sunlight i just have to stand between it and the sun and i usually find a tree to stand under since where i live it regularly gets to 100 plus degrees and i fly in it  until  can't take it. But i regularly check  my equipment  and its never more than maybe warm but i have my craft set up perfectly for me and the heat.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 04:26:42 pm by Wayne'sWorld »

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2017, 05:13:10 pm »
I use a box that is long enough that I can focus my eyes at that length.  Completely enclosed except for a face shaped cutout on the far end.

I did this for a laptop screen.  Same face shaped cutout on one end, and a slit cut in the bottom of the other end so I can slip it over just the laptop screen and the screen is up against the far wall.

mr_w

• LibrePilot
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2017, 08:15:06 pm »
Cliff, you mean something like this?

Mateusz

« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2017, 09:50:33 pm »
Cliff, you mean something like this?

You know guys you can buy glasses or contact lenses. I wear glasses normally, but for goggles and swimming I buy contact lenses. For FatShark's there are special correction lenses, but I prefer my contact lenses anyway :) I just buy a pack of 30 https://www.dailies.com/, it's more comfortable for your neck !! :) and can use them for sports :)

If you insist on using long extension tube, you might consider https://www.manfrotto.co.uk/products/photo-tripods/tripod-legs to save you from neck strain ;)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2017, 10:01:33 pm by Mateusz »

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2017, 12:40:04 am »
Thanks for the replies. But what do you think of this product http://www.gearbest.com/fpv-system/pp_354224.html

anyone tried it with the Sun?

« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2017, 12:41:07 am »
That's the idea if you remove everything except the front tube and set it on a table so you can put your face up to the open end when you want to watch.

Mateusz

« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2017, 08:06:28 am »
What kind of Action cam do you suggest?

Regarding this question. If it's 70-150mm micro-copter I would go for Run Cam Swift 2 which has VBAT+ pin.
If you have bigger copter, I would suggest Run Cam Split, which has lattency of RunCam 3, but splits the signal to analog and HD. That way it uses just 1 camera, to record HD quality video and send analog signal. The nice thing is that, camera is separate on a long cable, so you can install it instead of your FPV camera. It saves a lot of weight and gives you HD+FPV cam in one.

I got RunCam Split, but I haven't flown it yet. Just tested the dynamic range of analog video by walking around the room and balcony (left top corner is analog video)

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2017, 04:03:21 pm »
Personaly i think that watch is a little small  you can alway move monitors away but you can only get them so close to your head, comfortablely. ultimately it is your money and your the one that is going to have to make it work for you. I have seen a little device that
You can plug it into your phone thats 5.8 that you can watch it on your phone screen.  Good luck happy skys