Need help on tuning PID on windy days
« on: October 25, 2017, 02:24:39 am »
what values on PID should i adjust to fight wind and stop drifting because of wind?
when wind blows my quad goes with the wind(drift?)
i would like to have a locked in feel

here is my setup:

DYS EXCITE 250 frame
20A 490hz esc
2300kv
2200mah zippy/turnigy
foxeer cam
eachine vtx adj.
cc3d nano / no gps / no baro

Thanks

Re: Need help on tuning PID on windy days
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2017, 03:29:06 am »
The quad doesn't know the difference between drifting with the wind on a windy day (it doesn't feel the wind then) and windless day.  If you were in a hot air balloon in 60mph / 100kph wind and puffed a cigarette, the smoke would stay with you...  Think about it.

The only away around this is to have a Revo class FC with GPS flight modes.

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 01:51:30 am »
Hello Cliff thanks i knew this but i wanted confirmation LOL!
looks like i will have to buy gps

do you think my cc3d supports gps? here is mine:
https://hobbyking.com/en_us/openpilot-mini-cc3d-flight-control-board.html?___store=en_us

thanks!

« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 02:07:29 am »
Hello Cliff atleast i could tune my quad for windy days for better flight what values of PID should i have when
flying windy days? should i have higher PID or lower?

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2017, 04:47:01 am »
CC3D GPS only displays dots on GCS map (if you have telemetry) when flying.  CC3D does not have GPS flight modes like PositionHold.

Generally speaking a good set of PIDs should fly the best that can be flown whether there is wind or not.  Wind is just the same as flying faster or slower and making turns a little differently.

One thing that can help is to use Thrust PID Scaling on Stabilization->Bank#->Advanced page.  The default for that is to reduce PIDs at higher throttle settings like you may be using in high wind.  That reduces oscillations in that condition.

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2017, 02:05:04 pm »
Many thanks!