ernstock

Low cost device for use in field with GCS
« on: July 07, 2017, 01:17:56 pm »
Hi
Am progressing slowly with my revo and gps/ ext mag set up.
The only device I have that has the GCS is an old laptop that's big and really needs mains power as the battery is poor. The device itself tends to pause a lot and is no longer much use.
 I sort of understand that phone / tablet / laptop use different systems.
I have looked at the librepilot2 2go info - it says it's not for tech beginners as such.
Am happier to use the GCS anyway .

Can I use a tablet with windows 10 ?
This one : http://www.argos.co.uk/product/4281265
?
It has a micro USB port and is £50 (~$70 )
And 'up to ' 4 hrs battery.

Have got used to ( and enjoy ) using the oplink and the old  laptop to check systems before flight  but half the time the laptop plays up .

Any advice gratefully received .

Re: Low cost device for use in field with GCS
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2017, 02:38:20 pm »
It does have an Intel processor, USB, and I suppose it has some sort of right click emulation, so I would guess that the main issue would be the screen size / resolution.  I would play around with a PC, setting up that screen resolution (or at least that window size) for a test to see if you can work with it.  You can reconfigure the GCS to work on a different size/shape screen, but there are some things that are fairly large all by themselves.

I would recommend that you get a new battery for your old laptop.  Ebay has new batteries (make sure you buy new) for older laptops that only cost $15 or so.  I have bought 5 or 6 batteries for 4 different laptops and been very happy with them (and my friend that I bought one for too).  If Windows is sluggish, reinstall it or install Linux on it.  I personally reinstall Windows, then make it dual boot with Linux.  I don't really use the Windows part any more.

ernstock

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2017, 10:18:18 pm »
Thanks.
Yes , new battery is a reasonable option , will need a tech colleague to 'reinstall' windows , and see if it improves.
Was sort of hoping to get something smaller / lighter to carry out to field.

startrek66

• F330+Revo
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2017, 11:51:30 am »
I use An old netbook Asus eeepc 701 with lubuntu. The display is about 7". The small screen size is a problem.

Inviato dal mio SM-G800F utilizzando Tapatalk

ernstock

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2017, 09:40:40 pm »
Thanks for the valuable input.
Will avoid smaller screens I think.

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2017, 01:15:30 am »
Last week I paid 10Eur for a used Asus EeePC S101 (without battery and PSU) and I have put a light Linux in it (with 1GB RAM + 16GBSSD, no complaints for now). My sister had given me her old EeePC 701 -with a 7" screen- and it is definitively too small. The 10.2" of the S101 is great here and it will allow me to do a few extra things in the field.

Before that, I was using the android application on my 10" tablet. It was fine for last minute changes/checks, but now I'm attempting airplane mission planning with a RaspPi onboard and the extra stuff will definitively help.