ESC Calibration
« on: July 06, 2017, 12:07:44 am »
Hey All,

I'm still very new to this, so please forgive me if these are stupid questions. I'm having an issue calibrating my SimonK ESCs. To start with, a lot of the video's I have seen people are doing this with the setting on rapid. When I try it with anything other than standard, I get no beeps. Is this because I'm using a CC3D and SBUS? When I do try to calibrate with standard they never stop beeping. They run through what seems like a 10 mode calibration which the instructions mention, but it never ends, and each time it repeats one of the ESC have an additional second delay in beeping from the others, and just twitches at low power. I haven't been able to find any info on why this is happening.

Thanks for any info.

Re: ESC Calibration
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2017, 12:40:43 am »
To run at 500Hz or higher with normal PWM signal, you must decrease the max pulse to something less than 2000 or you will have problems as you describe.

Try following the instructions here:
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2017, 09:46:46 pm »
I am still having an issue with this. The max pulse has always been set at 1900. At 400hz I get one esc to respond, but the others remain silent. Not sure what I'm doing wrong.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2017, 10:21:18 pm »
just twitches at low power
This can be a sign of bad connection, bad motor or bad ESC.  Do they run correctly at PWM-50 or plugged straight into the receiver PWM?  I would fall back to making sure they all work at PWM-50 to start with for a test.

Do you have the min pulse width set to 1000?  Do you have all your banks on the output page set to the same thing?

All the SimonKs I have used have worked fine at 1000-1900 PWMSync or PWM-490.  I do recall an old set of ESCs I had to run at PWM-330 to get them to work.  Use 1000-1900 and try the slower PWM settings.

« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2017, 01:22:02 am »
I replaced the motor and esc, that stopped the twitching issue. It works fine at 50hz with 1000 - 1900, and the quad flies, but seems to have delays in throttle response. The same issue with my eachine 250 racer with blheli esc. The esc would only let me calibrate them at 50hz. Which leads me to believe I'm doing something wrong with librepilot. Also, I'm using the CC3D and SBus connection from the receiver. I can't find anyone else who's ever had an issue like this.

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2017, 05:24:37 am »
Try using faster settings than 50, but not as fast as 400.

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2017, 11:52:25 pm »
What port on the fc are  you using to connect the sbus? How is the hardware page in the gcs configured? What receiver are you using?

« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2017, 01:49:27 am »
They all beep on 330hz, but one of them is still a bit delayed making it hard to got through the settings. It's got to work better than 50hz, so I'll take it. :)

I'm running Frsky x4r reciever sbus to main port on CC3D.

ESCs are http://a.co/j6Ic6pi People have mentioned using these at 490hz

Hardware page is:

Receiver Port: Disabled+OneShot
Flexi Port: Telementry
Main Port S.Bus
USB HID Port: USBTelemetry
USB VCP Port: Disabled

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2017, 06:15:33 am »
Try it without oneshot on the hardware page

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2017, 01:22:27 am »
That changed things a little for me, but now it just beeps over and over like there is an error. Could my FC be faulty?

« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2017, 12:55:05 am »
How do you have thing set up? If your trying to run one shot it says to hook it up through the receiver port using pin 8. https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/plugins/servlet/mobile?contentId=2818090#content/view/2818090            just a thought

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2017, 02:14:16 am »
ESC beeping (pause) over and over means ESC is not getting a signal.

Do you have that ESC plugged in the correct output?  Do you have your outputs configured completely, so that they produce a signal?

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2017, 01:07:46 pm »
As far as I know, everything is set up correctly. I calibrated at 330mhz and the quad flies, but I just find it strange it won't calibrate at 490mhz without issues, as I've seen in every video. The beeps were out of sync in 330mhz, they were close enough where I could to the calibration. I'll upload a video of what it does, and the settings.

« Reply #13 on: July 17, 2017, 01:28:52 am »
You obviously didn't read that link carefully enough because it says main port for futaba and specktrum sbus nothing about Frsky. Different protocal. The cc3d has limits cuz lack of ram or memory or what ever. So if I was you I would try hooking it up the ppm way through the receiver  port. Where you hook up the positive and negitive and then the signal to pin 8. And then when setting it up in the configuration then pick the sbus. I haven't tried it this way yet but everything  on this website says like the how to's says it has worked for me  and i am 100% confident in this way. And then you should be Able to run oneShot too And I about to do the same thing but for ibus  or you could by a revo or a nano and then probably do it your way. Good luck let us know progress

f5soh

• LibrePilot
« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2017, 02:57:10 am »
You obviously didn't read that link carefully enough because it says main port for futaba and specktrum sbus nothing about Frsky. Different protocal.

shane_d9 mention he's using  FrSky receiver X4R with Sbus output.
Sbus from Frsky or Sbus from Futaba is in both cases SBus protocol.
Pin8 has nothing do to with SBus, just used as PPM input where Sbus is connected to MainPort.

@shane_d9 Assuming you are using PWMSync+330Hz currently, can you try setting PWM+490Hz if the issue still ?