Newby needing advice on FS-i6 transmitter
« on: June 22, 2017, 07:56:45 pm »
Hello everyone, Im building my first drone and Im having some issues with setting up my transmitter. I have a FLYSKY FS-i6 transmitter and a FS-iA6 receiver. Ive been through the setup wizard for the transmitter, I binded the transmitter and receiver but when I try to "test" the motors with the transmitter, nothing happens. What am I doing wrong? Any help is appreciated.

Edit: Im running a CC3D flight controller. I can power up the motors using the computer but not the transmitter.

Re: Newby needing advice on FS-i6 transmitter
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 10:45:17 pm »
Some ESCs don't have a BEC and thus don't produce power, but you should have notice this when doing the setup wizard.  The animated transmitter sticks would not move if the receiver was not working.  Did you run the setup wizard and did you see the animated transmitter sticks move when you moved each channel?

Your ESCs must have BECs to make power, and the flight battery must be plugged in for the receiver to work.  There are other ways, but that is the standard way.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 12:55:50 am »
Some ESCs don't have a BEC and thus don't produce power, but you should have notice this when doing the setup wizard.  The animated transmitter sticks would not move if the receiver was not working.  Did you run the setup wizard and did you see the animated transmitter sticks move when you moved each channel?

Your ESCs must have BECs to make power, and the flight battery must be plugged in for the receiver to work.  There are other ways, but that is the standard way.

Thank you for responding. Im using the Simon Emax 12 ESC that comes as part of the YKS 250 quad ARF kit. I did go through the setup wizard for both the quad and the transmitter. When I went through the setup wizard for the transmitter, the animated sticks did move. I had to check the box for the throttle because it was inverted but other than that everything looked good. I did have the battery plugged in when going through the tests. Ive tried unhooking the micro usb cable from the flight controller to see if that was causing the transmitter not to work but i got the same results as I did when the micro usb was hooked up.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 02:41:06 am »
Do you understand arming?  It must be armed before the motors will run.

Input -> Arming
and set it to something besides AlwaysDisarmed or AlwaysArmed

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 07:03:56 pm »
I guess I'm back at square one. I tried to go through the transmitter setup wizard again. I made it through the steps until it asks me to move the controls to their maximum extents. Yesterday when I made it to this step, the animated sticks were moving on their own until I started moving the sticks on my controller. Today when I reached that step, the animated sticks werent moving at all. When i reached the next step when it asks me to see if the animated controller is mimicing my controller, it isn't. I dont know what im doing wrong:-(

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 07:14:37 pm »

Input -> Arming
My setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 07:15:31 pm »

Input -> Arming
Please help

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 07:21:55 pm »
Transmitter on.  Plug the battery in.  GCS go to the Input page.  Wiggle the sticks.  Do you get activity in the upper right corner activity indicator?

In the wizard, be aware that there is a bug such that if you don't have a flight mode switch, the animated sticks are not animated, but it does work correctly if you ignore the missing animation motion and continue on and do what it says (every connected stick and switch exercised to full limits).

Do you understand arming and have arming configured?  How do you arm your system?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:27:29 pm by TheOtherCliff »

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 07:31:01 pm »
When I move the sticks around, I notice in the activity window that it says channel 1, 2, 3 or 4 depending on which stick I use and what direction. One thing that I did notice is that all the animated sliders except for the throttle slider is moving back and forth on their own. Is that normal?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2017, 07:32:38 pm »
I do not totally understand arming.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2017, 07:34:16 pm »
Would it help if I programmed a flight mode switch within the FS-i6 transmitter?
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 07:48:02 pm by SaltwaterTiger »

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2017, 07:56:35 pm »
If you don't have an FMS, the only issue I know of I described earlier.

So now we see the problem.  Your throttle channel is not working for some reason.  Move signal wires around and try the other (currently disconnected) signal wires to troubleshoot.  I would have the red and black wires connected to channel #1.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2017, 07:58:52 pm »
The transmitter is now communicating with the receiver and its telling at least two motors what to do!! YAY:-) My problem now is that motor three is powering up way before the other three. Do I need to run the setup wizard again for the motors?

« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2017, 08:01:07 pm »
I went through the the transmitter wizard like you asked me to and the animations still didnt work but I completed it. At the end this time it worked. I dont know why but it worked. Just trying to solve the issue with the motors starting up at different times now.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2017, 10:55:23 pm »
Motors starting at different throttle stick positions is an ESC calibration and neutral setting issue.
https://librepilot.atlassian.net/wiki/display/LPDOC/ESC+Calibration

Motors spinning faster and faster without moving the throttle stick (non-zero stick) is normal when it is on the ground.